Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Are Splenda sweetened sodas and syrups acceptable in a "clean" induction?
Yes 48 46.60%
No 55 53.40%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 11:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275.0/220.0/185.0 Male 72.5 inches
BF:??%/25.7%/??%
Progress: 61%
Default Clean Induction

I don't want to resort to extremes in doing a fat fast, so I thought that I'd go ahead and do a KIS or "clean" induction. I've cut out all of the sugar alcohols, aspertame, and I'm a little trigger shy of drinking Diet Rite. I don't think that it affects my blood sugar, after all it is sweetened with Splenda. Furthermore, I have some strawberry flavored Atkins syrup.

In everybody's opinion, are Splenda-sweetened Diet Rite and Atkins strawberry syrup a part of a "clean" induction?

Here is an excerpt from the Atkins website listing acceptable induction foods: Diet soda made with sucralose (Splenda™); be sure to count the carbs .

sidebar: I didn't think that there were any carbs in Diet Rite.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 12:09

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

If you don't keep those out you have a high chance of not getting rid of the cravings. Also, they cause some people to stall. And that glass of soda that you are drinking is one less glass of water for the day!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 12:10
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

My understanding of KISS is that no artificial sweeteners are allowed, but they are on Atkins induction.

Call me a rebel, but I don't really worry if it is "allowed" or not if I know something is okay for me. Alot of the no-nos are things that "may" affect "some" people, and that's valid, they do affect some people, if you have discovered they affect you then you should cut them out. Or even if the items aren't important to you, best to cut them out because why take a chance. But somethings are just too important to me to give up because they might stall me or raise insulin levels or whatever. In those cases, I see how I do with them, and if the weight loss rate is acceptable to me including them, I leave them in my plan.

All this is my rationalization for why I haven't given up my diet coke! So far I'm still losing and I love it way too much to give it up just yet.

Valerie
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 12:16

Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

I think "clean induction" means just that...stick to the basics....to cut out alllll the cravings and THEN add in the Splenda drinks and stuff, and see what they do to you. If they don't harm your diet, great! I thinks someone starting new to Atkins will find drinking the water alone enough without "extra" fluids.I still very rarely drink anything but water and I have been doing this for 5 months.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 12:17
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

When I did induction there was no diet soda,coffee,or low carb items.Once I moved to OWL then I entered theese items.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 15:27

Plan: Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution
Stats: 293/277/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%
Post After Reading This, No More Diet Coke For Me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
My understanding of KISS is that no artificial sweeteners are allowed, but they are on Atkins induction.

Call me a rebel, but I don't really worry if it is "allowed" or not if I know something is okay for me. Alot of the no-nos are things that "may" affect "some" people, and that's valid, they do affect some people, if you have discovered they affect you then you should cut them out. Or even if the items aren't important to you, best to cut them out because why take a chance. But somethings are just too important to me to give up because they might stall me or raise insulin levels or whatever. In those cases, I see how I do with them, and if the weight loss rate is acceptable to me including them, I leave them in my plan.

All this is my rationalization for why I haven't given up my diet coke! So far I'm still losing and I love it way too much to give it up just yet.

Valerie

http://www.dorway.com/badnews.html#symptoms

I drank diet coke for years, til I read this. It has aspertame in it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 15:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieb
I think "clean induction" means just that...stick to the basics....to cut out alllll the cravings and THEN add in the Splenda drinks and stuff, and see what they do to you. If they don't harm your diet, great! I thinks someone starting new to Atkins will find drinking the water alone enough without "extra" fluids.I still very rarely drink anything but water and I have been doing this for 5 months.

I noticed in the Induction part of the book, (DANDR) page 128, it says you CAN have diet sodas made with splenda. That would be Dite Rite.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 15:36

Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

Thankful, Yes I know that is what DANDR says....This is just my opinion based on what I have found...it is hard to drink that much fluid plus some people stall on Splenda....I do unfortunately
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 15:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieb
Thankful, Yes I know that is what DANDR says....This is just my opinion based on what I have found...it is hard to drink that much fluid plus some people stall on Splenda....I do unfortunately

Sorry, I just misunderstood. It's ok.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 15:43

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I have always had one diet, caffeine free coke per day - with asparthame and it's never affected me.

Vikki
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 15:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbrowne
I have always had one diet, caffeine free coke per day - with asparthame and it's never affected me.

Vikki

You are fortunate! My hair has gotten real thin, joint pains headaches, & I could go own & own, just sounds like some of the symptoms that link talks about.

Even memory loss!!

Last edited by thankful : Tue, Feb-10-04 at 15:56.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 15:50

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

OMG, I'm so sorry. Definately food for thought though.

Vikki
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 19:08

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Here's what Atkins says about it:

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-64113.html

YMMV, but I used 2 packets of splenda and had one diet rite soda every day during induction. I lost 12 pounds, so it worked for me.

Good luck!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 20:02
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Every weight loss guru has said, "flush out the system."
In order to do that, one must cleanse the body. Water is the purest form of cleansing, along with a squirt of citrus, is the best way to cleanse the organs and begin a new way of life.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 23:24

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

I approached my induction as going to be difficult and a radical change to my diet anyway, only 2 weeks long, and a chance to clear my body. I had no caffeine, no artificial sweetners, no artificial flavourings, no preservatives (like are in mayo etc).

In my 3rd week rather then go into OWL I stayed in induction but introduced 'gasp' aspartamene (I am a student and Splenda costs a small fortnue) and preservatives, had no problems. The next week I upped carb to be properly 20 (way below on induction foods) to some days 25 and reintroduced caffeine, no problems.

For many people this may not have been neccessary, but I think my strictness on ALL artificial sweetners helped me. I have been a carb tooth my whole life and now rarely strugle with these so called 'cravings'. Every now and again I eliminate all artificial sweetners and high-sugar items (fruit) to see if I can - one time in particular I was disturbed at how hard I found this, but the last couple times have no difficulties cutting out sweetners. I think this is a good sign.

Your reasons for doing induction seem to be that you are stalling badly enough to consider the fat fast. Look over that fat fast - looks pretty awful and limiting. A diet-rite free induction will be better, anyway you cut it. I would go pure for a while, and if succesful, then maybe reintroduce to see how you deal with it.