Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 17:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/183/135
BF:n/a
Progress: 13%
Default splenda question - HELP

Hello, I got many questions, I was wondering can I use splenda in the first two weeks(induction)? I have a friend says I should wait till after the induction. And I have a friend who says have as much as you want. (both of these friends have done this diet and now are at their weight goal)

Also can I have jello and whipping cream in those two weeks? And sugerless gum? Again one friend says go for it and another one says no.

I have heard aspartame slows down the weight lost?

Can some one point the way for good inductions recipes? I'm stick
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 18:49
Registered Member

Stats: 142/131/105 Female 5'3
BF:???
Progress: 30%

No Aspartamine...if you use Splend, don't use more then like 2 packets!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 20:38

Plan: Vegetarian - my own
Stats: 155/145/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Aspartame does make me hungry. Iwould stay away from it. I think splenda is ok, but in moderation, especially during induction. If you have the will power I would stay away from all sugar substitutes til after induction. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 21:30
Call me Magic

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/194/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 56%

I used Splenda throughout induction and had no problem with it. Sugarless gum too.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 21:35
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Can some one point the way for good inductions recipes?

If you go to our Kitchen forums, you'll find "sticky" threads at the top of the Main Dishes and Breakfast Ideas forums with Induction friendly recipes.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 22:23

Stats: 188/132/110 Female 5ft1in
BF:35/24.9/19
Progress:

Hello, I'm new here, so not sure if my input is welcome yet or not but I have been "doing" Atkins for almost a year now and have lost 56 pounds so far. I couldn't give up my coffee or sweet tea (Iknow, I'm weak)but I did use Splenda to help with the taste. I use 3 pkts in every MUG of coffee ( about 6 a day) and 3 pkts in every glass of iced tea I drink (about a half to a whole gallon a day). I also drink some hot herbal teas from time to timeand will use 2 to 3 pkts then as well. So far I have only noticed that I am still losing weight and have no ill effects. So use your own judgement but dont do it at all if you aren't comfortable with it or notice ill effects. Good Luck either way!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 04:33

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

T-Mike...Input is always welcome. You may find that sometimes people disagree with your input but all opinions count! If you've lost 56lbs then it's working for you.
For the average person in the street, I would say your consumption of sweeteners is too high, especially as I believe in the USA these sweeteners come mixed with a white powder which is in fact a form of sugar (dextrose?).
I also have a sweet tooth and ate suger free jello in induction and still lost weight. If you can get a liquid sweetener or little tablets (like in the UK) these contain less carbs.
Sugar free gum is useful for 'ketosis breath' and I believe it does little harm.
Others are free to disagree with me but we can all only write about our own experiences.
P.S. The usual reason people are advised not to use sweeteners during induction is to get rid of the sweet tooth!

Last edited by RCFletcher : Tue, Feb-10-04 at 04:55.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 05:50

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Well, I have done Induction twice--once with absolutely no sweetener (and no caffeine) and once with sweetener in moderation and caffeine (1 large travel mug per day). I lost 9.7lbs on the one with no a.s. and no caffeine and 10 lbs on the one with the a.s. So, for me it doesn't seem to make a difference.

In DANDR he does say that you can use a.s.--but, there's an amount limit (not sure what it was, will have to look up!)

I agree with RC, tho, that the point of Induction is to kick old, bad habits and form new, better habits and 'detoxify'.

Good luck with your decision!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 12:20
Registered Member

Stats: 203/185/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 42%

Splenda is not all that bad....it's less than a carb per packet. If your cravings get so bad you're about to cheat or give up, definitely have a glass of sweet tea, or sugar-free jello to kick the craving. It's a lot better than actually giving in.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 12:21
Registered Member

Stats: 203/185/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 42%

Also I found that the chocolate whipped cream does WONDERS for chocolate cravings. I keep a bottle in the fridge, and once I get an overwhelming craving, a shot or two in the mouth and I'm set (I know probably weird) but it is a GREAT subsitute for chocolate.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 07:28

Stats: 193/170/130 Female 61 inches
BF:BMI 32
Progress: 37%
Talking

I'm sorry AirForce but the picture of you going by the frig and getting a "blast" of whipped cream just cracked me up. For some reason I beat you have a great sense of humor!

T-Mike, there are no unwelcomed opinions on this forum. That's really what I love about coming here. You would be surprised to see how many times something that sounds strange or out of the norm is exactly what you are searching for.
And after a year and 56 lbs you have a lot of advice that can help a lot of people.
Lois
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 07:34
Contributing Member

Stats: 230/209/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 26%

T-Mike, I would appreciate your advice on matters. I tend to listen to those who are winners at being losers. I have no problem with sugar subs.
Debbie