Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 18:32

Plan: Atkins/OWL
Stats: 202/141/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 145%
Smile Chocolate Bars

I have noticed alot of different brands of chocolate bars that have low net carbs, are there better brands than others? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 19:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%

I think "Pure De-Lite" are by far the best. My favorite is the Carmel truffle. If you have a Wal Mart near you they sell them for a few cents under a dollar.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 19:13

Stats: 116/116/110 Female 5'4
BF:15%
Progress: 0%

Z Carb bars are great! Tastes just like a Nestle Crunch bar. Also, the Russell Stovers peanut butter cups and truffles taste like the real thing.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 20:50

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

keep in mind that the sugar alcohols in lowcarb bars cause most people to stall....
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 21:02

Plan: Atkins/OWL
Stats: 202/141/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 145%

I was wondering about that...the candy bars taste too good, I don't want anything to keep me from losing...thanks
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 21:27
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The Z-bars use a new type of sugar alcohol that seems to have fewer side effects (diareah and gas) however like stated above, anything sweet, especially sugar alcohols, can cause slows or stalls in loss. Also it really doesn't help promote a new way of eating and change taste buds when you substatute with alot of low carb treats. I'd say do a clean induction (no sweets or LC processed foods) then maybe add some back in. You'd be amazed how the taste buds change and cravings go away.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 21:30

Stats: 195/170/170 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Kristen's!

I really like the Kristen's candy bars and Judy's Peanut brittle.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 21:51
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
I really like the Kristen's candy bars and Judy's Peanut brittle.

Are those the homade ones? On this site there are various recipes for chocolate, peanut butter cups and other sweet treats. If you must, make your own chocoalte treats. They are free of sugar alcohols that way, and lower carb.

Rememebr if you make the peanut butter cups to use natural peanut butter with no sugar added.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 09:10

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%
Default Perhaps I'm different

I open one of the Atkins Advantage PB Cups, eat just one and put the rest away for another day.

All I wanted was a little taste (and I do this rarely).

However, the suggestion on another thread regarding whipping cream and cocoa powder occasionally hits the spot (when at home).

I guess I'm not a really big chocolate fan (never really was my weakness - however, if someone brought it into the house - I would probably eat it - pre LC - just because it was there and available).

That's the problem with so many items of "food" (and I use this term loosely) - if they are in the vicinity, they are more likely to be consumed - whether you want them or not . It is a matter of availability, rather than need.

I keep a couple of these items in a drawer at work, for the off chance that I haven't brought sufficient lunch, but I'd rather eat nuts, or have a really great cup of tea. Both last longer and give more satisfaction.

Just had a thought - what if I were to take cocoa powder, coconut oil, and possibly something like almond flour (or maybe not needed), and a little sugar-free syrup (Torani, DaVinci, etc), mix it together, heat it to melting, and roll the nuts in it - both tastes would be satisfied, and I'd know for sure what the ingredients were
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 12:32
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Or maybe try my tweak of homemade Protein Peanut Butter Bar (I call them Poo Bars, as they're great for the digestion as well... )

1.17 ECC per piece. No sugar alcohols.

#11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 10:37

Stats: 231/170.5/140 Female 64
BF:Scared to know ?
Progress: 66%

I personally like -
Pure Delite - Coconut w/Almond Bar
Pure Delite - Caramel Bar
Russell Stover - Mint Patties

I 'tasted' these 3 on my 3rd week of induction (bad me) - but just one bite each.. on different days. My mother had them, so I sample to see if I like them. I haven't had them since.. but after my loss last week I might treat myself to a whole piece this week!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 10:45

Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I really liked the CarboLite Dark Chocolate bars. The milk chocolates in any brand taste nasty to me, but these are so far my favorite. PureDlite is my second favorite.

Unfortunately, I get the bad side effects from them all, so guess I'll just have to make my own (oh DARN! )
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 11:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 213/197/165 Male 5 9
BF:38
Progress: 33%
Default Chocolate Bar

I use carbolite bars. They take the carving away and I still lost a lot of weight. THE ONLY PROBLEM is that it causes diarrhea. If you eat two bars watch out for the four hours of stomach cramps you will get. If you buy them at Costco they cost $29.00. If you got to their web site the cost is about $47.00 for a box of 24 bars. After I finish this box I will try some of the other ones that do not casue the problems listed above.