Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 13:22

Plan: fat, fat, fat
Stats: 225/212/160 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Gorilla cheese -- I love it! Will have to remember to tell my husband that one when he gets home from work tonight.

Shoot! The library has neither GO-Diet *nor* Matthew Looney. Ah, well... I'll go console myself with a mug of tea and my current read, one of two biographies of Rasputin I got from the library recently. I just boughtt and watched Alan Rickman's HBO flick "Rasputin," and it made me want to read more about the man. I love history, especially the history of the UK, Japan, Russia, and ancient Rome. (And I also love Alan Rickman! LOL)

Lene'
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 13:47

Plan: fat, fat, fat
Stats: 225/212/160 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hey, Iowagirl, I got an email saying you tried to send me a PM, but for some reason I can't access it. I suspect it is because I haven't posted 25 times yet on this board. Why not drop me a line at lenny_little~yahoo.com? That's the email I don't mind getting spam sent to (in case some spammer comes across this post on here) and from there I'll reply to you sending you my "real" email addy. <g> Then we can chat.

Lene'
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 07:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/163/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:???
Progress: 40%
Talking des moines, iowa here

also have found a few wonderful low-carb resources...

hy-vee in west des moines on 73rd street

and nutrition marketplace on swanson in clive (these people are awesome & very helpful - they even let you sample before you buy)
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 12:48
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

You know I've found our local Hy-Vee (I'm in Davenport) is starting to stock up on Atkins things as well. Imagine my amazement when I found lc tortillas! Woo hoo!

Hey, I was just in West Des Moines, yesterday for work.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 20:16

Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I bought some almond flour at my hyvee, in the health market section.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 14:35
empress of fashion

BF:

Isn't the health food section funny? LC bars right next to the Slim Fast.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 20:57

Stats: 282/236/150 Female 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

ADD another Iowan to the list!

I'm in DUBUQUE, and WE HAVE A LOW CARB STORE here!!

It is called Heartland Healthfoods, and they just opened up. They're in the KMart Plaza (we only have 1 KMart) off of I-20. The folks who run it are low-carbers and really nice, and they order everything you ask for. They also always have "samples" of things for folks to taste. Prices are good, too.

Whoo hoo! An alternative to Wal-mart and Hy-vee!

Stay warm everyone . . . I think we may have a little snow tonight . . .

Sue
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 21:37
empress of fashion

BF:

Hey Sue! I think you are right. A friend of mine was in Des Moines, said it began snowing this morning around 6am. He called from Cedar Rapids about 7pm and said it was snowing THERE, now. From what I understand it is moving northeast so you might want to duck. I actually like the snow.....hope we get our share.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 13:20
Registered Member

Stats: 265/235/190 Male 74
BF:

Hello all . Add one more to the Iowa group. I'm new here to the forum.

I'm from Decorah, up in the NE corner of the state. I have friends in Manchester, and have lived in/near or been to most of the places mentioned. Nice to see some neighbors on here.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 15:52
empress of fashion

BF:

Welcome! I have been to Manchester (Backbone Park) but not Decorah. I hear you have a lovely Norweigan (is that right?) heritage up that way.

Liking the snow?
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 18:53
Registered Member

BF:

There is indeed a strong Norweigan heritage up here. They let me move here because my mother was from Norway. I haven't told them she was from Norway, Iowa (about 15 miles west of Cedar Rapids)

There is plenty of snow up here right now. I don't mind it though. Actually it was pretty nice out today. I love the area up here. If you haven't made it up this way before, you should sometime. It's really quite a bit different than much of Iowa. The last glaciation missed this area so we have a lot of hills, bluffs, valleys, etc.

#57   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 00:31
empress of fashion

BF:

I was just telling a friend of mine that Iowa is quite hilly, rolling land as you know. I have been to Dubuque but it was years ago. Been to the Sioux City area as well. I am originally from the Des Moines area so with the exception of like Mason City I've seen quite a bit of the state!

Are you from Decorah originally or did you come by boat like your mom?
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 14:21
Registered Member

BF:

I was born and raised in Cedar Rapids, went to school at the University of Iowa in Iowa City. Lived in the Des Moines area for 5 years, then moved to Decorah ~11 yrs ago for a career opportunity.

Here is what it looks like out my back yard right now with this snow.

Also the yard in the summer, just to keep my spirits up that winter will give way to spring in a couple months.

Last edited by ZZrider : Sun, Feb-08-04 at 14:23.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 15:32
Sexifying me

Plan: one pound at a time plan
Stats: 242/242/199 Female 5'4
BF:dont want to know
Progress: 0%

Hey everyone!!

I am so happy to see this thread, its so nice to see people from Iowa from this board I live in Fairfield, and just 20 short minutes from where SubwayGirl lives, what a small world!!

My name is Hillary, I am 32 years old & have a hubby named Phil & two great boys, one who is 6 years old & one who is 3 years old.

I am doing Atkins with pretty great success, I have been ALL over the place trying to find the Almond flour, with no such luck, I did finally find the Divinchi syrups last night, so I am exited to get some of those & try them. Our Hy-Vee just started carrying the Atkins products, but the prices are outrageous!

Cant wait to get to know you guys!!!
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 15:52
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Hillary

Nice to see another Iowan here.

I have been through Fairfield many times. Very nice place, great people. I have some friends in Des Moines who have family there in Fairfield, and we have cruised through there on some of our road trips with them. I had a female friend from there in my college days, but for the life of me I cannot remember her last name.

Have a great week!