Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 22:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default D'oh!: "Dietitian doesn't like recent fad"

Published Wednesday, February 4, 2004

Dietitian doesn't like recent fad

By Teresa Hoffman, teresa.hoffman~ralstonrecorder.com

http://www.ralstonrecorder.com/inde...78&u_sid=995989

It's hard for Linda Wilhelm to find anything good to say about the Atkins Diet craze.

The registered dietitian for Alegent Health Midlands Hospital understands that people are trying to find any way they can to lose weight, but she just doesn't think reducing carbohydrates is the way to go.

She will say one good thing, however, and that is that she likes that people are at least thinking about their weight.

But she doesn't like the out-of-balance method of diets, such as Atkins or South Beach.

"It's good to have variety," she said. "All of the nutrients we get have a role to play."

In fact, she said carbohydrates have a big role to play. "Fifty percent of our calories should come from carbs," she said.

She also said carbohydrates give a person energy.

Even with less carbohydrates, Atkins supporters say their plan does provide energy.

The cornerstone of Atkins, according to the Web site, www.atkins.com, is using a four-phase eating plan in conjunction with vitamin and mineral supplements and regular exercise.

"The Atkins Nutritional approach rebalances your nutrition so that you improve your energy level," according to the Web site. "Following this approach lays the groundwork for a lifetime of better health."

The Web site said the four-phase eating plan allows a person to select which foods to eat based on their need to achieve weight loss and weight maintenance.

The induction phase of the plan restricts carbohydrate consumption to 20 grams each day. Most of the carbohydrates come from a salad and other non-starchy vegetables, according to the Web site. The final phase is maintaining the weight loss by controlling carbohydrates. Each phase allows more carbohydrates in a person's diet.

While Atkins supporters say the plan is not a diet, rather a lifetime nutritional philosophy, Wilhelm said eating healthy doesn't have to mean taking out things, such as milk and breads.

In fact, she said she has read many reports, including one from Tufts University, that said the diet is depriving people of calcium, fiber and other nutrients.

The report said that the induction period contains only 16 percent of the daily value for fiber and less than two-thirds for nutrients, such as calcium, Vitamins C, D and E and iron.

That fact is just one many things Wilhelm tries to tell people about when she talks about eating healthy. She said the keys to losing weight and keeping it off are portion sizes and exercise.

"There really are no good foods or bad foods," she said. "But eating too much of one thing can be bad."

Wilhelm said she doesn't like the sizes of meals served in restaurants today. She especially doesn't like the "super sizes" pushed by fast food restaurants.

"The regular portions are too large," she said. "Then people are super-sizing those."

By watching portion sizes and exercising, Wilhelm said, a person's metabolism will be enhanced.

"As we get older, our metabolism slows," she said.

Taking time to work out also is key to staying healthy, Wilhelm said.

"Exercise is just as important as the diet." she said.

While she said fad diets have come and gone, there are some programs, such as Weight Watchers, that can work not only because they control portion sizes, but also because of the group setting associated with meetings that are part of the program.

"Having that small group support can be very helpful to some people," she said.

Besides not having balance, Wilhelm said, she doesn't like the Atkins and other diets because they are boring.

She said being on a boring diet can often lead to failed weight loss attempts.

"You need to pick a diet you want to live with so you can maintain positive effects," she said.

Being deprived of certain foods can also lead to failure.

"I don't think anybody who doesn't have any restrictions because of health should feel that any food is forbidden," she said.

Another downfall of the recent diet fads, Wilhelm said, is maintaining the weight loss. She said it is important to look at the whole picture.

"Anybody can lose weight," she said. "It is maintaining it that is hard."

She said the popularity of diets, such as Atkins and South Beach is based on quick weight loss.

"We are a microwave society and we need to be a crock pot society," she said.

With the endless amount of diet plans out there, Wilhelm said, there is one in place that can help people and has for many years - the food pyramid.

"It really is the best way to make sure you are getting the nutrition you need," she said.

One last tip Wilhelm gives people is to eat slowly.

"Take your time and give your food a chance to digest and tell your stomach it is full," she said.

Last edited by gotbeer : Wed, Feb-04-04 at 22:37.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 22:53
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
[B]Published Wednesday, February 4, 2004

In fact, she said she has read many reports, including one from Tufts University, that said the diet is depriving people of calcium, fiber and other nutrients.

The report said that the induction period contains only 16 percent of the daily value for fiber and less than two-thirds for nutrients, such as calcium, Vitamins C, D and E and iron.

Which is exactly why the good doctor insists we take supplements, especially during induction.

Quote:
With the endless amount of diet plans out there, Wilhelm said, there is one in place that can help people and has for many years - the food pyramid.

"It really is the best way to make sure you are getting the nutrition you need," she said.

And for me, it was the best way to gain weight I ever found. Which is why I'm in the TDC.

Jude
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 22:58
Registered Member

BF:

OK, why don't we tax the food pyramid like we do booze and tobacco? Perhaps we could abraide the obesity mess that way? I'd love to see Snackwells in IRS Hell.

Last edited by gotbeer : Wed, Feb-04-04 at 23:00.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 23:12

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Boring huh? Tonight I tuck into Thai lamb and veg with green curry coconut sauce...really boring.

Val
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 00:18

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

*bangs head against keyboard*

When are they going to "get it"?
If we could eat 50% of our diets from carbs and still control our hunger and portion sizes and insulin output we would .. but we(or i at least) cannot do it without having severe headaches, crashing blood sugar, more fat storage, etc. etc.

And how is it "balanced" if half of your dietary intake is carbs?
Why did we not hear of this "balance need" when i was cutting my
fat down to 10%?
As unkind as it may sound sometimes i wish a week or two for these people of advanced insulin resistance just so they can step in my shoes and know what it is like .. and know how FREE and IN CONTROL i feel now that i don't have all that insulin driving me to eat as i did before.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 04:05

Stats: 297/235/190
BF:
Progress: 58%

She also doesn't know the sources of vitamin e. Except for "fortified" ready to eat cereals, the best sources, according to the USDA, are actually permitted on Atkins (not on induction). Just a scare tactic.

danny
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 07:15

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

That's so bogus about the vitamins. Maybe on Induction it would be a concern, but Fitday told me that I was getting 100% or over with such vital nutrients as calcium, Vitamin E & A....I think Vitamin D was the only slacker.
I KNOW, when I put in an old sample day, I wasn't getting enough nutrients before. Haven't these people checked out the "nutrients" in pasta and white bread?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 08:47

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

are there any "registered dieticians" out there that don't have their heads buried in the sand? or elsewhere, ha haa?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 10:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

"There really are no good foods or bad foods," she said. "But eating too much of one thing can be bad."

Uh... exactly. Most of us ate way too much sugar and starch to the point we screwed up our metabolism. We're trying to fix that now, thank you very much. Has this woman even *heard* of syndrome X?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 11:59
Registered Member

BF:

Perhaps it is time we start challenging them on their repeated failures to follow their own code of ethics. See especially the highlighted area below.

Code of Ethics for the Profession of Dietetics

http://www.nutractive.com/codeofethics.htm

Preamble

The American Dietetic Association and its credentialing agency, the Commission on Dietetic Registration, believe it is in the best interests of the profession and the public it serves that a Code of Ethics provide guidance to dietetic practitioners in their professional practice and conduct. Dietetic practitioners have voluntarily developed a Code of Ethics to reflect the ethical principles guiding the dietetic profession and to outline commitments and obligations of the dietetic practitioner to self, client, society, and the profession.

The purpose of the Commission on Dietetic Registration is to assist in protecting the nutritional health, safety, and welfare of the public by establishing and enforcing qualifications for dietetic registration and for issuing voluntary credentials to individuals who have attained those qualifications. The Commission has adopted this Code to apply to individuals who hold these credentials.

The Ethics Code applies in its entirety to members of The American Dietetic Association who are Registered Dietitians (RDs) or Dietetic Technicians, Registered (DTRs). Except for sections solely, dealing with the credential, the Code applies to all American Dietetic Association members who are not RDs or DTRs. Except for aspects solely dealing with membership, the Code applies to all RDs and DTRs who are not ADA members. All of the aforementioned are referred to in the Code as "dietetic practitioners."

Principles

1. The dietetic practitioner provides professional services with objectivity and with respect for the unique needs and values of individuals.

2. The dietetic practitioner avoids discrimination against other individuals on the basis of race, creed, religion, sex, age, and national origin.

3. The dietetic practitioner fulfills professional commitments in good faith.

4. The dietetic practitioner conducts him/herself with honesty, integrity, and fairness.

5. The dietetic practitioner remains free of conflict of interest while fulfilling the objectives and maintaining the integrity of the dietetic profession.

6. The dietetic practitioner maintains confidentiality of information.

7. The dietetic practitioner practices dietetics based on scientific principles and current information.

8. The dietetic practitioner assumes responsibility and accountability for personal competence in practice.

9. The dietetic practitioner recognizes and exercises professional judgment within the limits of his/her qualifications and seeds counsel or makes referrals as appropriate.

10. The dietetic practitioner provides sufficient information to enable clients to make their own informed decisions.

11. The dietetic practitioner who wishes to inform the public and colleagues of his/her services does so by using factual information. The dietetic practitioner does not advertise in a false or misleading manner.

12. The dietetic practitioner promotes or endorses products in a manner that is neither false nor misleading.

13. The dietetic practitioner permits use of his/her name for the purpose of certifying that dietetic services have been rendered only if he/she has provided or supervised the provision of those services.

14. The dietetic practitioner accurately presents professional qualifications and credentials.

A. The dietetic practitioner uses "RD" or "registered dietitian" and "DTR" or "dietetic technician, registered," only when registration is current and authorized by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.

B. The dietetic practitioner provides accurate information and complies with all requirements of the Commission on Dietetic Registration program in which he/she is seeking initial or continued credentials from the Commission on Dietetic Registration.

C. The dietetic practitioner is subject to disciplinary action for aiding another person violating any Commission on Dietetic Registration requirements or aiding another person in representing himself/herself as an RD or DTR when he/she is not.

15. The dietetic practitioner presents substantiated information and interprets controversial information without personal bias, recognizing that legitimate differences of opinion exist.

16. The dietetic practitioner makes all reasonable effort to avoid bias in any kind of professional evaluation. The dietetic practitioner provides objective evaluation of candidates for professional association membership, awards, scholarships, or job advancements.

17. The dietetic practitioner voluntarily withdraws from professional practice under the following circumstances:

A. The dietetic practitioner has engaged in any substance abuse that could affect his/her practice;

B. The dietetic practitioner has been adjudged by a court to be mentally incompetent;

C. The dietetic practitioner has an emotional or mental disability that affects his/her practice in a manner that could harm the client.

18. The dietetic practitioner complies with all applicable laws and regulations concerning the profession. The dietetic practitioner is subject to disciplinary action under the following circumstances:

A. The dietetic practitioner has been convicted of a crime under the laws of the United States which is a felony or a misdemeanor, an essential element of which is dishonesty, and which is related to the practice of the profession.

B. The dietetic practitioner has been disciplined by a state, and at least one of the grounds for the discipline is the same or substantially equivalent to these principles.

C. The dietetic practitioner has committed an act of misfeasance or malfeasance which is directly related to the practice of the profession as determined by a court of competent jurisdiction, a licensing board, or an agency of a governmental body.

19. The dietetic practitioner accepts the obligation to protect society and the profession by upholding the Code of Ethics for the Profession of Dietetics and by reporting alleged violations of the Code through the defined review process of The American Dietetic Association and its credentialing agency, the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 12:37
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

So can we report them and tell them they are in violation and show how and why?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 12:44
Registered Member

BF:

That's what I'm thinking. For example: Put together a pro-sat fat document quoting recent studies, and then challenge one of them when they attack sat-fat. Bring up their own code of ethics if they refuse to consider the current info.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 14:53
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey
*bangs head against keyboard*

When are they going to "get it"?
If we could eat 50% of our diets from carbs and still control our hunger and portion sizes and insulin output we would .. but we(or i at least) cannot do it without having severe headaches, crashing blood sugar, more fat storage, etc. etc.

And how is it "balanced" if half of your dietary intake is carbs?
Why did we not hear of this "balance need" when i was cutting my
fat down to 10%?
As unkind as it may sound sometimes i wish a week or two for these people of advanced insulin resistance just so they can step in my shoes and know what it is like .. and know how FREE and IN CONTROL i feel now that i don't have all that insulin driving me to eat as i did before.

Excellent post odyssey, 100% agreement here

I wish these dieticians without insulin resistence/carb-fat storing sensitivity/pcos/etc etc etc could live just ONE DAY in our shoes. I bet they would change their mind about what they consider "healthy" in a heart beat, after a day of uncontrollable hunger, and feeling sluggish depressed and crappy.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 14:56
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysk
She also doesn't know the sources of vitamin e. Except for "fortified" ready to eat cereals, the best sources, according to the USDA, are actually permitted on Atkins (not on induction). Just a scare tactic.

danny

I know, grains have zero nutrients; so little in fact that they actually fuse them with vitamins.

In another thread I meantioned 1 cup of cous cous (a middle eastern food made from the semolina (pasta) grain) has 153 carbs and 750 calories. What do you get for your 750 calories of starch? 6% calcium and 3% iron.

And they want us to make this nutrient void, unsatiating, hunger and fat storage inducing junk the foundation of our diets? LOL!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 14:58
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
That's so bogus about the vitamins. Maybe on Induction it would be a concern, but Fitday told me that I was getting 100% or over with such vital nutrients as calcium, Vitamin E & A....I think Vitamin D was the only slacker.
I KNOW, when I put in an old sample day, I wasn't getting enough nutrients before. Haven't these people checked out the "nutrients" in pasta and white bread?

I meat the mimium requirement for almost all nutrients without supplementation; if I was not in weight loss mode and restricting my calories, I would easily meet them all.