Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 10:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 193/192/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default birth control

hey yall
I am new to the forum but I started atkins two weeks ago and i am going to weigh myself to see if I have lost. I have done atkins before but this time i am trying to make a lifestyle change. I also joined a gym and have been trying to work out, which i havent done in two years, but I am really proud of myself. When i did atkins before, I did lose weight. But now I am on birth control and I am scared it will affect my weight loss!! Does anyone know if it really will because I dont want to get off it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 11:43

Plan: not-so-strict Atkins
Stats: 130/126/110 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 20%

Some types of birth control pills are better than others when it comes to weight gain/loss. Which kind are you on? I'm no expert, but I have spent a lot of time researching/talking with doctors that I work with about the matter. Typically, the lower the dose of estrogen you can manage, the better. Also, one with a lower progestin potency is helpful (if you tell me which you are on, I might be able to offer some better insight). And of course, there is the standard caviat: each body is different and reacts differently to different hormones.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 11:44

BF:

Assuming you are on the pill, that is, and not a shot or implant.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 11:57
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

jnkerr, you sound quite knowledgable on the subject. I tried to PM this to you, but it said you can't accept PMs yet...probably because you just joined.

I recently switched from Alesse (low estrogen pill) to OrthoTricycline Lo. I've been on the Ortho Lo for two weeks, and have gained 5 pounds! Do you think this sounds normal?

I'm doing a "clean week" where I avoid all frankenfoods and sweeteners, and I usually lose 2-3 pounds when I do this. Instead, I've gained 3 pounds since starting on Monday! If it's normal water retention, I can handle that, but I've never retained 5 pounds of water before. I'm afraid my weight will keep going in the wrong direction, and there's nothing I can do to stop it!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 12:06
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

Hillary - I also was on Alesse and switched to OrthoTricycline Lo. I recently switched back to Alesse because of weight gain. Alesse seems to be the one pill that affects me the least, however because of other issues dealing with endometriosis still isn't the greatest solution. When are they going to invent a pill for men ?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 12:23

BF:

5 pounds in 2 weeks is NOT normal, however your body could just be adjusting (i.e. retaining water temporarily). If I am not mistaken, Alesse has 20 mcg of estrogen? And the Ortho Tricyclen Lo has 25? It's a small difference, but my personal experience says it's enough to matter. I just recently started taking Seasonale and was on Ortho Novum; a 35-30mcg change. And I've noticed a slight difference, though it could just be imagination or a lot of other things. But, I think birth control pills are an area where you really have to trust your gut, since they are so darned individualized. We can guess...reread GUESS how one pill might affect an individual over another based on three things: estrogen content, androgenic potency, and progestin potency. The latter two are a factor of the type of progesterone used in the pill and cannot be compared on a "gram per gram" basis (kinda like an apple has more calories than the same amount of broccoli, if that helps).

The new Ortho Lo pills also have "low-androgenic norgestimate" as the progesterone. High androgenic potency causes things like acne, hair growth, etc. Norgestimate (Ortho Lo) in the doses of that pill has a bit lower progestin activity than the levonorgestrel in your former Alesse.

Bottom line from all of that garble is that you've got the higher estrogen in your new pill working against you and the lower progestin potency working for you. My gut feeling (and that's all it is, so take it for what it is worth) is that estrogen has a bigger impact than slight differences in progestin activity.

I'd stay with the new pill (assuming you switched for a good reason) for the rest of this cycle plus another, if you can stand it just to be sure it really is a factor in your weight gain. But, I am NOT a doctor so you've got to do what you and your health care provider feel best.

I'm in no way a medical practitioner, so please, take this all with a grain of salt. This is just what I've come up with from various texts, journals, and conversation with MDs in my personal research on the matter.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 12:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/140/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Hi ladies,

I went to my doctor yesterday about a problem with my nuvaring... it was very good actually for loosing weight, but didn’t work for me for other medical problems. The depo shut is the worst one apparently. All the nurses told me people gaining around 10lb because of the shut. My doctor gave me a pill Yasmin. I have two friends using this pill and they are very happy with it. My doctor said mostly 3lbs gain-the rest is your fault. I didn’t start using it yet, but this is what he said. good luck.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 12:26
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Thanks. My script runs out in April, so I figured I'd stick with the OrthoLo until then, and make a choice at that point. The Alesse turned me into a raging pile of hormones — laughing one minute, then wanting to sob over something stupid like an episode of Friends. What a mess!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 12:36

Stats: 193/192/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 2%

i am on yasmin, I just dont want birth control to really effect me losing weight for this diet! has it slowed any of yall down?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 12:40

BF:

Yasmin has a lot of success...the progesterone in it has anti-water retention properties. Plus, it has virtually no androgenic activity.

OOH, Raging pile of hormones....gotta love that. Unfortunately, I don't really know what to tell you on that one, since I basically just outgrew my lovely outbursts. But your doctor might.

I think there are so many different pills out there, that people should try them till they find one that fits. Unfortunately, it can be worse than trying on jeans, since it takes a couple months to really know whether or not it works for you.

Personally, I'm happy with the new Seasonale. Any pill can be taken continuously (with a doctors script, of course) to prevent periods, but having one that is packaged for it is really nice. And the hormone profile fits pretty well for keeping off weight gain.

Good luck!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 13:00

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

So you are saying that Seasonale is specifically for preventing your period? That is good to know.

I have been taking LoEstrin for almost 10 years and I haven't gained any weight because of it and it also causes me to have almost no TOM. I maybe get a little crampy, crabby and a day or two of spotting. Thats it! I used to get them so bad that I would have to take a day off of work or school once a month. I had horrible cramps that would go down my right leg.

Wee
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 14:09

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default One thing to remember

Nothing will put as big a ding in your ability to lose weight as getting pregnant. Most of them will have some effect or another as you start and then it will stabilize and what happens after that is up to you.

Consider an IUD if preventing pregnancy for 5-10 years fits into your plan.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 14:21

Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%

weeone i have been on contniuse birthcontrol for 10 years becuse of the same problem you had i would get cramps.
not just little cramps but 3 weeks of "i cant get out of bed please just shot me now" cramps.

i has been amazing and only getting my period 4 times a year is big plus!
i am on orthocept its a high level pill, i think.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 17:07

Plan: Atkins OWL 30g
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 66"
BF:?/18%/15%
Progress: 60%

I'm on Yasmin. It's hard for me to say whether being on the pill has prevented me from losing weight, because I was on it when I started Atkins. My weight loss has been slow, with a 5 week stall, but I started losing again after reducing alcohol. I do wonder whether I'd be losing weight faster if I weren't on the pill at all, but that's not a viable option for me.

BTW, I'm very happy with Yasmin. I asked my doctor whether there was a BCP I could take continuously (skipping the 7 day sugar pill and going straight to the next pack), and he recommended Yasmin. I didn't gain any weight from switching over to Yasmin, and I've lost 10 lb. total while on it. As a result of taking the hormone continuously, I have not had a period in 6 months, yippee!!! No more bloating either. And perfectly safe according to my OB.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 17:40

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

I don't seem to have any problems losing weight thus far and I am on Apri - basically Ortho 35, just a generic. I have lost 35 lbs since May, so I don't think that's it. Having a hard time getting down below 168-169-167, been bouncing in there this whole month - but that's because I don't exercise.

An Aside - anyone out there use an IUD who has not had kids? I'd like to hear your experience as I am considering one...