Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 10:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/189/150 Female 65 inches
BF:?/35%/25%
Progress: 70%
Question personal trainers

I meet with a personal trainer every three weeks. I am a very begining beginner. The problem is that I was my personal trainers first client. I don't think he has any idea what a personal trainer is suppose to do and unfortunately neither do I. Many people in the gym have suggested to me that I am paying too much for too little. Can anyone tell me what a personal trainer does? What should I expect for $50/hour? i.e. Would this include an overall plan that would require some time beyond the official hour I pay for or not ect..? I really don't know if he should be doing more.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 11:34

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default PT certification

I have never had an official personal trainer, but my son have just got his certificate. I was surprised to hear, that you simply have to read a text book, take a test, and that is all. No on-site training required. You can get this certificate without every doing any exercise or seeing an exercise led by an experienced trainer.

So very often the trainee has much bigger experience than the trainer:-)))

I am sure others can help you with the price, etc.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 12:04

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

$50 is about the industry standard.

How many sessions did you sign on for?

Even if someone only took 3 sessions from me, I would:

- Do a fitness test/analysis
- Take measurements/body composition testing
- Take a health/family history questionairre
- Evaluate your goals
- Design a program with your goals in mind
- Discuss your nutrition plan

Our sessions would execute the plan I designed.

With most of my clients, I would outline a whole program for at least 12 weeks and would tell them when they could expect to be able to "graduate" to the new phases. Even if they didn't stay on with me, at least they KNEW what they needed to do to reach their goal.

Of course, I kept the only copy of the plan ... they won't buy the cow if you give them milk for free ... LOL

When training "beginning beginners", it is easy to say that the trainer isn't doing much - beginners can't be pushed as hard in the gym ... However, with beginner's the trainer should emphesize proper form and tempo on the exercises, and proper breathing technique.

Since not as much is going on in the exercise area, the trainer really should be educating you about proper exercise. Having an article/handout for you to go over each session in addition to your exercise is a good idea ... Either talking about it during the warm-up and cool down, or in an office after the workout ...

Also, the trainer could stretch you out ... or at least stretch with you and ensure that you are using proper form for your flexibility training.

If you add all of that up, it is well worth $50.

I just hope your trainer is doing all of those.

While there are no national guidelines for certification of personal trainers, some agencies are more strict. There are alot of good trainers out there ... you just need to be sure you get a good one.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 13:48
Registered Member

Dang! I have been paying WAY too much for WAY too little. He does none of those things. Bascially, I have been meeting with him every three weeks since the begining of August. When I hired him I told him one year but I have no contracted number of sessions. He shows me new exercises but that is about it. There just dosen't seem to be a plan.

Thanks a lot Dan, now I know that it is not unreasonable to expect him to do some work outside of our sessions.

Any ideas on how to fire a really nice 19 year old kid who just is a lousy personal trainer? Or perhaps a book I could buy him to give him a clue.....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 14:03

give him my e-mail. I can guide him to become a better trainer. Some things they don't teach in certification seminars.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 14:05

You didn't get a fit evaluation or a medical history? That's negligence.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 14:27
Registered Member

Nope and I was a full 40lbs heavier than I am now and told him I had never seen the inside of a real gym before.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 14:35

Find a new trainer. How can he know what he can/can't do for you if he doesn't know your medical history or previous injuries, your blood pressure, etc.?

He's not even going "by the book". He's dangerous. Ask who he is certified by, and ask to see his card/certification.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 10:58
Registered Member

All, very good questions......

I have an appointment at another gym this morning with a lady who has 25 years experience and is certified. The memebership is dirt cheap and therefore no obstacle to switching. Thanks to you, I am now an educated consumer of personal training services!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 11:57

No problem.

Trainers like that give the rest of us a bad name. I really wish there was a very hard liscensing exam to become a personal trainer, but until then it is definately Let the Buyer Beware.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 21:27

Stats: 247/238/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Personal Trainers

Dan,

The guideline information was very helpful on what a trainer should be able to offer. I have recently hired a personal trainer help me with my workout routine
and it seems as if I've really made a good investment. The price as well as the
rest of what has been offered in very similar to what guideline you have offered.
Although working out for me is a very new experience. I'm still quite overweight but I am hitting the gym 5 days a week, with the weekend off.

I've lost 10 lbs and have dropped 5.25 inches within one month. Do you think the loss of inches is a good loss? I was kind of expecting more. I've really
been working hard. But please remember at 39 years old I'm still learning the
difference between a Bicep and a Tricep and at a size 18 whoever heard of
an Oblique LOL. But I do my elytipcal M-F, the trainer M&W and on my own
on Friday with machines. Any suggestions on a expections as I transition.