Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 07:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206/186/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 56%
Exclamation Impossible? Or Is It

I weighed myself last night just for the heck of it and boy oh boy did i get a surprise! Is it possible to gain 14 lbs from last thursday? I certainly hope not! It is my TOM but still 14 lbs???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 07:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/150/125 Female 5'4"
BF:49/24/??
Progress: 0%

I don't know about 14 lbs, but keep track and see what happens, I know today I am 5 - 6 lbs lighter than yesterday (2nd day of TOM). That is quite a bit of difference.

It could be fluid retention, plus are you working out?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 07:53

Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Feeling like that little girl in the "Willy Wonka" movie? I don't know but that has happened to me. I gained 6 or more pounds in 3 days after the holidays and it wasn't water weight because its taken me over a month to lose it. I believe the fat cells just lay there empty and as soon as you eat high carb food, they fill up in an instance. I just know if I go back to eating a regular diet, I'll gain all this weight back. Now for you maybe some is water weight and weighing late in the day rather than first thing, I easily add pounds during the day. My lowest weight is first thing in the morning.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 07:54
Registered Member

BF:

Yes i do go to the gym but I only went once last week. I did have some pasta on sunday but other then that I did not cheat. I certainly did not have 14 lbs worth of pasta!! My husband made supper while I was sleeping and since this does not happen often I ate it. I did weigh myself on a different scale but i still find the difference incredible.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:27
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I see a huge gain after I enjoy a treat meal/day. Water, water, and more water bloating. After the holidays I gained 13 pounds, but I find that within a week, I am back down to my original weight.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:44

Stats: 150/150/125 Female 5'4"
BF:49/24/??
Progress: 0%

If you wieghed yourself on a different scale the calibration of your ususall one, or this one may be off.

What does your ususally scale read?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 09:06

Stats: 154/126/120 Female 164
BF:
Progress: 82%

I think after a big treat(?cheat) day the weight balloons up as all the carb/sugar is stored rapidly as glycogen in your muscles (ready for action), but each glycogen molecule hangs onto water molecules thereby increasing ones weight. Once the glycogen is burnt up (when you start locarbing again and using these reserves), not only do you deplete the glycogen but also the water that it hangs onto is released and pee'ed out!...Atleast that was my understanding from DANDR.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 09:30

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

My old scale said I weighed 15 pounds less than my new scale does. I would stick with whatever scale you normally use.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 09:51
Registered Member

BF:

Last thursday morning I weighed 186 lbs. Last night the new scale said 200 lbs on the dot!