Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 17:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/195/195 Male 6 2
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Need Help With Chinese Food

Hi all!!

I am relatively new to Atkins. Approximately 2 months. Male, 40 years old, 6ft 3 in. Have went from 260 to 225.

My biggest craving is Chinese. Can I eat shredded beef, no rice? I have no idea how many carbs are in this dish. The dish has beef, carrot slices (very thin) and green sliced onions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 17:56

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I have found that most Chinese food that I fix myself is fairly low-carb. I don't put breading on anything and leave out any noodles or rice and substitute Splenda for sugar. I still tastes the same and fills me up.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 17:57

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%

Hi and welcome! I waitress at a Chinese restaurant, and I hate to break it to you but pretty much all the sauces have starch or sugar added, so if this meat has sauce on it, then it's a no-no. However, beef and onions are good choices, but carrots are not really a good veggie choice if you are on induction/OWL. If you got the beef and green onions and asked for them to be stirfried in oil or steamed (specify NO sauce), then that would work.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 18:01

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%

Good point Dodger... Making your own Chinese food would be a lot cheaper, and definitely LC-friendly. If my restaurant suggestions sound too bland for you, you could always try your hand at one of the Chinese food recipes on this site.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 18:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/170/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:

my favorite take outs are beef or shrimp and brocolli, no sauce or rice. I get a quart and use my chopsticks. Feels like old times. They usually put the rice in anyway and I am surprised at how unappetizing it smells.
I have also ordered a similar meal while out with a friend and it was good. I had my steamed meat and veg and a pot of tea. The sides and sauces did not tempt me. I wouldn't try the buffet.

Congratulations on your weight loss!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 19:03
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I live right across the street from the chinese place.. by now they know how to do all of my dishes

My most frequent dish is beef broccoli. I ask them to make it without the sauce - they just cook it with oil. I add my own soy sauce and it've very good. If I want it more flavourful I sprinkle cayenne, soy sauce, and a hint of ginger and sesame seeds on there.

There are a few other dishes I ask for no sauce: shrimp chicken and beef hunan style etc etc. Another thing you can do if you're feeling naughty is get the meat and veggie dish WITH the sauce, add a ton of soy sauce packets to it to dilute the starchy sauce, then put the entire dish in a strainer. Most of the sauce will run off but you'll still have a little bit, and a lot of flavour.

I get moo shu pork too. I think it's got a fair amoutn of sugar in it, but I dilute it with my own egg and add a little sausage or shiritaki so that it goes further.

Always specify NO RICE so that it's not sitting there tempting you.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 22:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins type
Stats: 290/300/190 Male 5' 6.5"
BF:
Progress: -10%

You can go to the mongolian barbeque places. There you pick what you are going to have. You choose the meat(frozen in slices), vegetables, and sauces. Then they cook it on a big flat round grill.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 04:19

Stats: 225/215/196 Male 73in
BF:
Progress:
Default Chinese food

I've eaten teriyaki chicken over green beans and deep fried spare ribs with chilli and salt with seaweed or stir-fried beansprouts with no effect on my weight-loss.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:11
The Spandex Killer

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Dodger -- Any easy Chinese recipes (sauces in particular) to share? I'm clueless in the kitchen and I don't know quite what to do with the soy sauce and Splenda -- but I love Chinese food and would love to mix up some beef and broccoli if you can share a good sauce idea!

CP
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:50

Stats: 225/215/196 Male 73in
BF:
Progress:
Default Sauces

Most Chinese sauces use as their base soy sauce, rice wine, chilli bean paste and sugar. You should be able to substitute Splenda for the sugar, but what's the carb count for a couple of splashes of rice wine?