Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 10:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/218/170 Female 69.5 in
BF:34.5%
Progress: 20%
Angry bloated and unhappy

Can anyone pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase tell me if being bloated is normal for atkins in the first week? I don't feel like this is working and am ready to give up. I started last Thursday. HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 10:45

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Yes it is normal, if you been bloated in a total feeling, not just your bowels?
It only last a few days or so, just keep drinking that water, it will help.
If your bowels are the trouble, add some ground flax meal to your daily diet.

Hang in there, Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 11:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157.5/129 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Time of the month??? That ALWAYS gets me - and after 9 months of pregnancy and a year nursing, I am not used to getting it again, so it surprises me! Drink, drink, drink, drink. Also, remember that Atkins does not always mean a 15 pound weight loss and instantly tremendous feeling for everyone. Every body is different. Yours might just be feeling a little whacked out getting used to it. STICK WITH IT!!!! IT WILL pay off!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 11:07

Stats: 295/247/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 32%

The bloating might also be caused if you are getting more fiber into your diet that what you have previously been used to. It can take the bowel a couple of weeks to get the hang of the new routine of good fiber coming through; it will get better soon if that is the problem if you continue with the program and drink a lot of water.

It can also be caused by ingesting foods with soy in it if you are not used to soy. I had problems with a runny nose and a little stomach upset in the first few weeks and experimented and discovered it was the soy. After about a month that too went away.

Don't give up on this WOE; it works! Your body is just going through a lot of changes right now. Good luck with feeling better soon!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 11:09
Registered Member

THanks everyone for your support. This is a great support system whentrying the WOE. Again, THANKS.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 11:15

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%

I definitely experienced that bloated feeling when I had more fiber than I was used to...I don't recommend having large amounts of cabbage and spinach in the same day!
Don't worry though, it subsides and you'll feel great. Just keep drinking your water and add some exercise... asparagus also helps with bloating, as does adding a bit of lemon to you water.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 11:37
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Are you having any sugar free candy, protien bars, or other things that may contain sugar alcohols? For me those mean alot of painful bloating and gas.

Also if you are having alot of processed high sodium meats such as bacon, ham, sausage, hot dogs, lunch meats and so on. Make sure to drink tons of water, as that helps fight water retention.

The fiber thing can make a difference. What you might try is cooking your veggies for a few days. Make a wilted salad where you brown the meat, then toss in the salad greens and cook until they resemble cooked spinach. This can make them easier to digest. If you are skipping on veggies completely, then it could be you aren't having enough fiber and constapation is kicking in.

Why not post a few days worth of menus on here and maybe people can see other things that could cause discomfort.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 12:54
Registered Member

i think you may have hit the nail on the head Ladybelle.
I think the combined eating of bacon , spincah and atkins bars in the same day is having an affect on me. I'll try to ct back on the bars and bacon. You have just turned the light on in my head to be even more aware of what i'm eating.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 14:03
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

them bars can cause many problems for some.