Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 06:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/227/195 Male 74"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default I'm gonna try this again...

Hello all,

I'm a newbie here...just found the forum today.

I picked up the Atkins book 4 or 5 yrs. ago, read it and got pretty stoked about it. I weighed 232 and, over the course of about 3-4 months, reduced my weight to 200. I was proud of that, but didn't really stay with the program.

Anyways, since that time, I've gone up and down (mostly up), yo-yo-ing and at the beginning of this new year found myself at 240lbs. Well, I just turned 39, so on my birthday, I resolved to get into the best shape of my life by 40. I did this once before on my 25th birthday; I resolved to quit smoking (cigarettes) and have been an ex-smoker ever since!

So, I've decided to adapt the Atkins eating plan again and here I am. My wife hasn't enjoyed the same success on Atkins, although I don't believe she gave it enough time. Anyway, she is concerned about me being on it again because a few stories have circulated about it adversely affecting some people's health, maybe even contributing to a couple of deaths.

I'm not at all convinced of this....conversely, I feel that the Atkins plan is basically eating the food God put here for us to eat in the first place and not eating all the other packaged and processed junk that litters our grocer's shelves.

So, I'll now begin to comb through these threads, reading all your posts and hopefully finding the inspiration and encouragement I need to be a faithful Atkins eater once again!

Good Luck and Good Eating to you all!

Last edited by holemania : Sat, Jan-31-04 at 07:32.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 09:44
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Welcome to the board!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 11:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi and welcome!

To put your DW's mind at ease, there has never been a documented case of a low carb diet causing serious illness. Out of millions of people doing it, that's pretty good. What could be harmful about it if our ancestors lived without sugar and grain for thousands of years?

Good luck making it a way of life this time 'round.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 11:39
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Hey,

Welcome aboard. As a previous Atkins follower, a former smoker and someone who is also flirting with 40.....we have a lot in common! You have come to the right place for support, help and ideas.

Looking forward to watching your success!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 11:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/227/195 Male 74"
BF:
Progress: 32%

thanks everyone! I'm working on getting my wife to register and view the boards as well!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 12:28
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by holemania
Hello all,

I'm a newbie here...just found the forum today.

I picked up the Atkins book 4 or 5 yrs. ago, read it and got pretty stoked about it. I weighed 232 and, over the course of about 3-4 months, reduced my weight to 200. I was proud of that, but didn't really stay with the program.

Anyways, since that time, I've gone up and down (mostly up), yo-yo-ing and at the beginning of this new year found myself at 240lbs. Well, I just turned 39, so on my birthday, I resolved to get into the best shape of my life by 40. I did this once before on my 25th birthday; I resolved to quit smoking (cigarettes) and have been an ex-smoker ever since!

So, I've decided to adapt the Atkins eating plan again and here I am. My wife hasn't enjoyed the same success on Atkins, although I don't believe she gave it enough time. Anyway, she is concerned about me being on it again because a few stories have circulated about it adversely affecting some people's health, maybe even contributing to a couple of deaths.

I'm not at all convinced of this....conversely, I feel that the Atkins plan is basically eating the food God put here for us to eat in the first place and not eating all the other packaged and processed junk that litters our grocer's shelves.

So, I'll now begin to comb through these threads, reading all your posts and hopefully finding the inspiration and encouragement I need to be a faithful Atkins eater once again!

Good Luck and Good Eating to you all!

Hi ya! You have a good head on yer shoulders, and you sound pumped ta get started! Good Job Heehee...

~LOL bout the junk ya mentioned! I call frozen dinners and that boxed junk "LiL Coffins" It's so true though!~Heehee...

***Welcome***

You will find so much support here! Hope ya start a journal bc you will find so much support, plus you can better see yer progress..

Good Luck, hope ta chat again soon with ya!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 12:50

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hi and welcome to the board!
This is a great place for support. If you start a journal, people can come there and visit and I find that it's a great way to track my progress.

Best of luck to you,
Linda