Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/199/150 Female 5 foot 7
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Should I be getting hot??

And NO I don't mean THAT way either. ;0D

I seem to be having mini hot flashes, I don't know if my body temp has been kicked up from burning fat or what this is. I don't know where to look in the book for this. I wake up at night and throw all the cover off the bed two or three times. When I blow dry my hair, I can't hardly stand it, I get SO overheated and sometimes even start to sweat. It's 30 degrees outside, and I'm usually cold all the time! Anyone know what's going on? They didn't start until my second night on induction.

I had a hyst 10 years ago and I take a herbal Estrogen (I've been on the same stuff for years without hot flashes). Maybe my body chemistry is messing with my hormone level??? I dunno..........

Tricia
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 02:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

This seems to be a common side effect.

It's probably a combination of fat burning and estrogen being released from fat cells as that's where it's stored.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 02:30
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

TAG87,
Don't worry - it doesn't last!!!!
During my first week I had severe hot flashes on days 3 and 5 (I think). I would be beet red and sweating at work. Very professional looking! It was bad enough that the doctors I work with ordered blood work right then and there!
After day 5 or 6 I was fine. I honestly think it was sugar withdrawal. Not a very appealing look for sure!!!

Cheers,
Gypsy
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 06:45
Registered Member

Stats: 199/199/150 Female 5 foot 7
BF:
Default Whew, thanks

Hopefully after this first week I won't experience it anymore, it is quite unpleasant!!

I am a very busy Business Manager at a New car dealer, and so far it hasn't occurred while with a customer, and fingers are crossed that it doesn't!!

I am really enjoying this new way of eating, I was scared to try it sooner, now I wish I had thoroughly checked it out last year.

By the way, where does everyone find those cute little graphics in your signatures, and how do you get them on here?

The turtle is Adorable!

Tricia
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 11:17

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Yep it's normal, however, if it does'nt slowly peter out, and you have high blood pressure, check with your Dr.

Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 20:18
Registered Member

Stats: 187.3/187.3/143.3 Female 170cm
BF:

So glad I wasn't going crazy! Its been a week since I started (Montignac) and I have experienced 'hot flashes' in the last 2 days. Your postings explain a lot - can't wait for them to stop - very embarrasing!.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 20:29

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)

i've been limiting my carbs for close to seven months now and i still have them occasionally, usually after i eat more than usual protein i think and they happen within a couple of hours of eating usually.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 20:39
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Feeling warm is usually an indicator that your body is burning more energy than before... sounds to me like the metabolic advantage is working for you . Are you comming to LC from a low fat diet? People who weren't eating enough calories or fat before usually report a dramatic increase in body temp.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 07:13
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG87
By the way, where does everyone find those cute little graphics in your signatures, and how do you get them on here?

Tricia, this thread explains everything about attaching pics, smileys etc, both in posts and signatures:
Important Information: posting pictures, attachments and image linking

As for where people find their pics, probably all over the net. Try to make a search on Google for "free clipart", "free graphics" etc. Just make sure it's not copyright protected material* you link to (and that the page allows direct linking if you don't have your own server to put the graphic on.)

(*Say I who have Lara Croft as my avatar... LOL. Oh well, just look upon it as PR for Tomb Raider... )

/gil