Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 15:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/226/170 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default switching from atkins to so. beach.

hi everyone. i started the atkins diet almost 8 months ago and lost 40 lb. i'm stil about 15 lbs from my goal weight. however, my cholesterol keeps rising(LDL). my doctor recommended that i switch to the so. beach diet. can anyone make any suggestions as to making this move?
i'm open to all suggestions.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 18:45

Plan: Atkins / South Beach
Stats: 188/176/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I don't have an answer for you but I'm making the switch for the same high LDL reasons.

Just want to let you know, you're not alone.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:41

Plan: SB
Stats: 258/241/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 14%

i am considering the change myself. Having trouble getting back on track with Atkins. The only thing is is that I cant stand low fat cheese and i know they want you to eat that on So Beach.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 10:09

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 181/171/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 18%

My doctor just told me that my cholesterol is rising also. I've been on Atkins since august. I was very surprised since it seems to be the opposite of everyone else. I'm thinking of switching to South Beach also cause now I'm freaked out about my cholesterol.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 10:47
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

What is the main difference between south beach and a low carb/^ protein?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 11:41
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach (P2)
Stats: 250/215/150 Female 71
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefginger
i am considering the change myself. Having trouble getting back on track with Atkins. The only thing is is that I cant stand low fat cheese and i know they want you to eat that on So Beach.

Have you tried the 2% cheese that Kraft has put out? They only have it in shredded form so far, but it is so good, doesn't have the weird rubbery consistency, and has the same fat as its nasty low-fat counterpart.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 13:01

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 310/216/225 Male 6'-4"
BF:34/20/20
Progress: 111%

South Beach Phase 1 is virtually identical to Atkins Induction.

After two weeks "de-tox" period, on SBD, you can introduce 1 fruit item, LC cereals, many more veggies with low GI. Dr. Agatston recommends meats that are low in fat, low fat cheeses, low fat dressings, etc.....provided that the fat wasn't replaced by carbs.

I have volleyed back and forth between Atkins and SBD.

When I really felt like I was stalling, I went to a strict 20 grams of carbs (or less) per day.

On South Beach, my starting cholesterol was 240, it's now 180 after 3 months.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 13:05

Plan: ATKINS/SB
Stats: 208/183/145 Female 63"
BF:34%
Progress:

Sorry to hear about the rising LDL numbers. It does seem the opposite of what Dr. A says in his book.
I'm on a program with an endrocrinolgist similar to Atkins and I have blood work done every 3 wks to monitor everything. I am a classic X syndrome and was prediabetic.
I have a friend doing very well on SB and she modifies the low fat. I think this is a plan I can stick to once I'm at goal and released by my Doc.
If you can find Cabot's of Vermont cheddar cheese they have a 50% and 75% reduced fat and they both are pretty good. This is the cheese the dietitian at my Dr. recommends. I have to watch fats too as I have had a heart attack.
I'll be anxious to see how everyone likes SB. Once I break through the IR I should be able to follow a less restrictive eating plan but will always have to watch the simple carbs.
Debbie
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 13:49

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 202/188/170 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I would not say that SB is low fat, as olive oil, canola oil, nuts, eggs, salmon, tenderloin, etc. are fine. It is low in saturated fat, and the Atkins folks also came out last week saying that only 20% of your calories should be saturated fat.

I too find the shredded 2% cheese very good. I also have full fat cheese off and on, but Atkins limited that also to 4oz. or so as I remember.

Tommy