Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 12:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/195/180 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Just got my followup cholesterol levels back!!!!

Hi - I don't post much here, but thought that this might be of interest. I started Atkins in the middle of November 2003. As of today I have lost about 15 pounds - went from 210 to 195. My goal weight is 180 - so half way there. About a week or so after starting Atkins I had a cholesterol check done at Fred Meyers with the following results and then had them rechecked at my doctor's office 2 months later on Jan 20th - here are the results - I must confess I am utterly amazed!

Date..................Nov 03..........Jan 04
Total Cholesterol.....253..............213
Triglycerides............67...............53
HDLs......................43...............58
LDLs......................196.............144
Chol/HDL ratio..........5.8.............3.67

I expected, after consuming 60% of my calories in the form of fat, that it would get worse, but to see a 40 point drop in my TC was great!! My physician was telling me if my LDLs stayed up I was looking at either lipitor (yuck) or a CT scan of my heart to assess coronary artery condition. I also had some skepticism about the Atkins WOL until I had my follow up cholesterol check.

I am now a total believer in Atkins - I plan on doing this for life. I feel great, I'm wearing pants that I haven't worn in months, my wife likes the new me (she is also on atkins but more for my benefit than anything else). I have also got the hang of the new WOE - I haven't eaten junk food, donuts etc etc for 2 months and don't miss any of it. Can't wait to tell my mother-in-law who is a dietitian and thinks I'm nuts, but at least she doesn't bug me about it.

YeeeeeHaaaaaa!!!!!

Campbell
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 12:41
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24

Congratulations! I had similar results when I had my blood levels done. I couldn't believe it. Now, when people tell me how unhealthy Atkins is, I just pull out my blood test results and that usually shuts them up.

Weird, isn't it how healthy eating fat is?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 12:43

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

Wow Congratulations!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 13:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Amazing! Was your doctor initially skeptical about Atkins?

Heh heh... try not to gloat *too* much to your MIL.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 13:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

great news, i had the same thing happen when i went for my life insurance exam. it is amazing and i kept the printout so when my husbands stepmother tells me this is unhealthy i will just lay it out for her. my father in law has high cholesterol, and has been trying to lower it without meds so i was mentioning it to him and she said oh no that is unhealthy. now i have the proof. great job and i agree this is me for life now.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 14:43

Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%

YEAH!!! Congratulations . Same thing happened with me!!!!

Alli
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 14:50

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Wow...congrats!

They will keep getting lower, have them done again in like 6 mos. just to check it out. Pretty cool!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 17:25

Stats: 210/195/180 Male 72
BF:

Kristine, I think the Dr was somewhat skeptical. He referred to the diet as a fad, and that just about everyone who came in was on the diet which I found amusing. I like my doctor and this was my first visit with him. Since I am turning 38, I figured I better get a thorough checkup with an ECG, chemistry screen, lipid profile, TSH and physical exam. I am happy to say that everything looked great.

I do plan on rechecking my lipid profile in 6 months and see where it is at - should be interesting - it is such a great feeling to see the TC drop by 40 points, and I will love bringing it up when people try to criticise this WOL.

Campbell
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 17:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/150/127 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 71%

If I hear one more person tell me that this WOE is a fad diet, I'm going to go postal lol.. I have gone from a size 14 pants to a size 8/9 since september and I feel and look healthier than I have in years.. Why do they keep saying it.. drive me crazy! congrats on the cholesterol!!! that is major. I should get all myself a checkup.. would love to pull out something to show when I get razzed again. It IS funny how eating fat does this... Take care guys! (sorry about the rant)