Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 04:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkin's
Stats: 127/127/124 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default On induction and Can't Eat 20 carbs/day

I can't seem to eat 20 grams of carbs per day. I eat eggs, 2 cups of salad, and then mostly meat. What should I do, short of eating all day. Should I keep celery stalks around? I've been eating between 1200 and 1800 calories/day. I would eat more salad, but I want to follow induction properly. I know I shouldn't worry about calories, but I heard too many calories can cause you to stall. I want to avoid stalling. How can I up my carbs w/o upping my calories too much?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 06:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/246/175 Female 65"
BF:??/47%/35%
Progress: 20%

Add a veggie. In addition to the 2 cups of salad a day, 1 cup of broccoli or green beans would be allowed.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 07:06

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 241/212.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 31%

Add 1 cup of other veggie like tampa_girl said and don't forget to count the carbs in your salad dressing, cheeses, and any cream you may use.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 11:46

Stats: 190/186.5/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I too have had a problem coming up to 20 carbs a day - I sometimes add half an avacado. I have started using more dressing on my salads to up it also.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 12:16
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi. I would add some greens since it sounds like you're not getting any dairy. Greens are a decent source of calcium. Think spinach, kale, broccoli, etc.

As long as you're getting your veggies, you're probably fine. Usually when we encourage people to get their 20 g, it's because they're "spending" their carbs on a little too much cream, cheese, coffee, etc and not eating enough veggies. Part of your 20 g allowance is for those kinds of things, so if you're skipping them, it's no problem.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Jan-25-04 at 12:19.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 16:58
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Please don't stare yourself blind on "cups" of sallad. It's not a RULE, it's just a recommendation (in order to make people eat ENOUGH veggies and not too little of them, as I see it.) "Cup" measures are so inreliable anyway, it totally depends on the shape of the veggie etc. I weigh them instead. The important thing is to have most of your carbs coming from veggies and to stick to 20g carbs a day.

Also, veggies are pretty low in kcals. I don't think I ever heard about anyone stalling from "too many veggies". It's the dairy, cheese, LC bars and shakes and too small a water intake that seem to do that dang trick.

Last edited by gilibel : Sun, Jan-25-04 at 17:02.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 03:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkin's
Stats: 127/127/124 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for helping me you guys. Iprefer oil and vinegar on my salad, but I will start putting Salad dressing. I could eat veggies all day long!! So, what if I up my servings to 4 c per day? Is that ok?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 06:44
Phoenixa

Oil and vinegar - or especially oil, is the ideal "salad dressing", less carbs more fat.

Your servings of veggies should be determined by amount of carbs really, and not volume measures, IMO. As long as you stay within 20g netcarbs daily on Induction (and count all carbs you eat of course, not only the veggies) you can eat as many veggies you want.

#9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 18:25

Stats: 190/186.5/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I have just found the greatest veggie to up my carbs - spagetti squash! 1 cup = 7 carbs..It was great and VERY filling!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 23:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 274/258/185 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress:

What about brussel sprouts? are they ok to have? I love them..
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 23:30
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

I cup of cooked Brussels sprouts has 9.4 net carbs, and it's on the Acceptable Foods list.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 01:54
Registered Member

Stats: 215/158/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

I LOVE brussel sprouts!! Can't find the sketti squash around here tho.. I found those little bitty ears of baby corn in a can.. They are really low in carbs too.. Good for salads or heated with butter. Celery is good, but I don't see any cheese listed in your diet.. There is all kinds of cheese out there. Knock yerself out! LOL.. Even the Parmeson (sp) is OK.. Have a slice of one of the new low carb breads that are out now.. It's not on the induction list but you can have it soon.. Good luck!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 08:14
Phoenixa

If you want to up your carbs and keep the kcals where they are, adding cheese might not be the best solution.

There is a great little Carbohydrate Counter here on the board (under Low Carb Tools in the orange bar up top) where you can make a search for "vegetables" and then chose to get them sorted by the value of carbohydrates - that will make it easier to determine which has adequate carbs for your needs.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 20:19

Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'5
BF:?/26%/21%
Progress: 35%
Default Not Enough Carbs/Calories?

I started Atkins yesterday (though now I'm thinking I may switch over to South Beach)... and while I've been plenty full the past two days I've noticed that I'm eating about half the carbs and calories I'm supposed to. I'm a college student and have to choose from things they have available, so I can't do anything too elaborate, though I do have a small fridge and microwave in my room. If you have any ideas on what I should be doing differently, please let me know.

My fit day journal (started today) http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...?Owner=nfb02001