Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 12:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default lean cuisine web site

oh. these people go on and on about how their meals are low carb yadda yadda. then they say that low carb programs encourage people NOT to eat their vegetables!! NOT SO!! every low carb diet under the sun says to eat your vegetables. i've read most of the books, and i know that's how it is. when will these folks get the idea?

on the other hand, their products ARE pretty tasty.

thanks guys. i had to vent!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 12:57

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Lean Cuisine - low carb, not the ones I've ever looked at - granted they are tasty, but definately not low carb.

Vikki
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 13:10

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

http://www.leancuisine.com/CountingCarbs/

LOL...if 25 grams or less per meal is their idea of counting carbs (okay...maybe for someone on maintainence), they can have their skimpy little meals. I'll take a nice cut of meat and a couple cups of buttered veggie anyday (and probably be a lot more satisfied with it with more money left in my pocket afterwards as well!).
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 13:20
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnlee
oh. these people go on and on about how their meals are low carb yadda yadda. then they say that low carb programs encourage people NOT to eat their vegetables!! NOT SO!! every low carb diet under the sun says to eat your vegetables. i've read most of the books, and i know that's how it is. when will these folks get the idea?

on the other hand, their products ARE pretty tasty.

thanks guys. i had to vent!!

Sorry flynnlee but I went to the website and right on the entrance page the article states "discourage you from eating foods that are known to be good for you such as fruits and SOME vegetables" it didn't at all say people were encouraged not to eat their vegetables.

If you go further into the website for information on carbs - here is a sample of one of the Q and A's answered by the nutritionist at lean cuisine

Q: What are good carbs? What are bad carbs? James, Ohio

A: Good carbs are whole grains, cereals, crackers, peas, lentils, dried beans, fruits, and vegetables. These foods are complex carbohydrates that release energy into your body more slowly and over a longer period of time. Bad carbs are also known as simple carbs. They consist of sugary foods such as frosted cakes pies and donuts, table sugar, honey and syrups.

Last edited by KoKo : Wed, Jan-28-04 at 13:22.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 14:29

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
"discourage you from eating foods that are known to be good for you such as fruits and SOME vegetables"

This is still inaccurate, though. Even on induction, you are allowed to have some fruits (cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, avocados) and after induction, you may add berries and melons continuing to add fruits up to your individual tolerance in later phases as you progress through all stages of the plan. This is somewhat of a moot point, though, since I'm not aware of any vitamin, mineral or phytochemical that is present in fruit that can not also be gotten (often in greater abundance) from vegetables.
In pre-maintainence and maintainence, NO fruits or vegetables are omitted; you are only instructed to keep within your critical carbohydrate level for maintaining and you are encouraged to have some fruits and vegetables less often than others.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 17:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

oh well. i just think it's funny how everyone's trying to get on the band wagon now that they realize that atkins is good for you. or rather, that low carbing is good for you. the funny thing is--i remember having a couple of their new low carb dinners a few years ago!!
actually, they were pretty good compared to most tv dinners.

but hey--at least they're trying, no?? that's a start!! i'm just tired of all of the misinformatin that's out there...oh well...at least they're making it a point to make it easier for people to live on low carb. i should try not to be too judgemental!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 22:29
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

"Besides providing energy, foods containing carbohydrates are typically packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytochemicals. Carbs fuel our muscles and brain, and supply the energy for essential body functions like breathing and heartbeat. Without enough carbs in our diet, our body begins to burn its own protein tissues (muscles)."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was reading along, nodding...'til I got tripped up by nuggets like this. <shrug> At least they left "exploding kideys" out of it....

There is a lot of truth in what they say, considering their motive... but I'm tired of hearing about how my muscles are being digested by my body, when my lean body mass is increasing as my bodyfat % inches downward.

Last edited by potatofree : Wed, Jan-28-04 at 22:30.