Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 09:45
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%
Unhappy 2 many changes,HELP

Ok, here goes. I have been in major dental pain and the dentist put me on antibiotics and Vicodin for pain.. Now before LCing I could take the antibiotics with no problem but now they make me VERY seasick you could say. They kill all wants for food,etc.. And I don't like taking the vicodin cause I feel high as a kite and WOW they hit me like a ton of bricks..Beofre LCing they did not seem as strong..Now after my visit to the dentist yesterday he said Im doing much better but need to finish all the meds..I drink ALOT of water, a lil fruit2o, maybe 1 tea a day as far as liquids go, Oh and one Atkins shake..Solid food now makes me want to cry, I know I need it but the pills make me so sick to my stomach..
Any advice would be helpful. No more sf jello, yougurt(sweetened with splenda,homeade soup broth please..I am tired of all theese cold soft things.Sure I lost 4 pounds in 5 days but at what cost to my health? I am soo weak and tired..YES, the antibiotics are working cause my jaw is normal size and function now,(80%), but Im worried about vomiting when I return to solid food.. Please help.. I feel real stupid right now but I know ASKING for help is the only way to get it..Dentist had no ideas to share with me, no big shcok there. Thank you very much.
Angel
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 09:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I've been there with antibiotics, I know what you are going through. So when you finish the antibiotics, your stomach should go back to normal.
To get you there, have you thought of vegetable purees? Guacamole? Also, I can't recommend enough PEPPERMINT TEA. Get the non-caffeine kind!!!!!
Peppermint is wonderfully soothing to the stomach, it's gotten me though bad times. Dill pickles also work wonders for me, you don't have to eat them, just suck on them.
Hope some of this helps. Hang in there!
And for future reference, make a note of that antibiotic and don't let them give it to you again. I always talk to my doctor because my stomach is so sensitive, and he works around it. Once you know what antibiotics don't do this to you, you will be better off next time.
Get well soon!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 09:53

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Oh you poor thing Are you in induction? If you weren't I'd say just Low Carb bread w/butter or SF jello or SF Peanut butter. Cheese always helps me...mozzarella or other softer one. Any non-heavy meat - - chicken, salmon, tuna... I wouldn't eat heavy steak or burger if your tummy is upset.

Feel better and the Vicadins always mess me up too/
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 10:01
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Well, if it's any comfort, dental pain in January of 2003 was one of the things that led me, eventually, to this WOL. I had two weeks of serious pain then, couldn't chew anything and was living on a couple of Slim Fast shakes a day. And not able to keep even that down, because of the pain. Tried Vicodin, but I couldn't keep it down long enough for it to help.

I lost a few pounds and got motivated to try Atkins. I know you said you were sick of cold, soft things, but maybe you could try Atkins shakes? Or some other protein shake?

I sure wouldn't want to go what you're going through again, but in the long run, it was sort of a blessings in disguise for me.

Hope you're better soon....

Kay
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 10:10

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

You Poor thing

The antibiotics have done a splendid job at killing off your FRIENDLY bacteria (known as acidophilus) in your gut and it tends to upset the stomach and desire to eat.

Have you ever heard anyone say eat yogurt when you take antibiotics? It is because the good yogurt like Dannon has the active cultures, aka acidophilus but since you are an low carber, you cannot do yogurt right now........so instead you must.....Go to your local Health Food Store and ask for a bottle of REFRIGERATED acidophilus (in pill form) and keep it in your fridge at home. I take 2 to 3 pills on an empty stomach once a day for maintenance but you may want to take it up to 3 times a day so it will start making you feel better.

DO NOT purchase the over-the-counter, on the shelf acidophilus that you might see at Walmart or such - this stuff has very little active friendly bacteria.

Good luck to you
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 08:22

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

OUCH! Sorry to hear about your dental pain. A good Atkins soft food is a couple of boiled eggs squashed up with butter and add a bit of salt and pepper. This is very easy on the stomach and will give you a bit of energy! Hang in there - taking care of your tooth problem right now is important, and you will be back on track soon. Orchid
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 09:24

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

DW used to ba able to take vicodin, but after eating LC for 6 months, she got sick to her stomache after taking one for pain due to a stress fracture of the foot.

So based on her experience, my unscientific, uneducated guess is that the drug acts differently on a body thats not full of sugars and fillers.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 09:44

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

There are some great suggestions here already. Also think about trying some semi-solid foods - some gazpacho-type soups or salsa, for example. Whipped cream sweetened with a little Splenda. Also, you might try a little LC bread, dry or with butter.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 11:25
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I can not say thank you enough for the kind words and wonderful ideas.. It was the best thing for me the way I feel right now.. Im going to try eggs since they don't need to be chewed much and maybe some lc bread with cream cheese, crust cut off for now tho...
AGAIN, thank you
Love Angel