Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 16:50

Plan: modified atkins/general lc
Stats: 183/156/145 Female 5'2
BF:43%/31%/22%
Progress: 71%
Default anyone taking Metformin?

Hi everybody

I am happy to say that after 10 years of gaining, I am finally losing. 7 months after begining this way of eating, I can see a real difference. My body is shrinking and my trigl. was 975, now 251. Cholest. was 389, now 216 and glucose test was 120, now 107!!!! I owe it all to low carbing!!

Today, my doc, who by the way is so up on syndrome x and insulin resistance. He prescribed Metfornin 500mg and I take one with each meal 3 times a day. He said it's safe, so safe even for pregnant women and will help my body sugar and to avoid diabetes and help lose weight which in turn can reverse insulin resistance. He did tell me that Avandia can cause people to gain becasue it pushes the fat from the liver out to other places. But I lowered it by nutritional changes. Just wondering if anyone else tried it and how long they took the Metformin. My doc said that it has no negative drawbacks when you stop taking it. So, hopefully this will help me also achieve my goal weight and good health!!

byebye
Kat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 00:41

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 308/247.5/182 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Well, I guess no one's responded to this thread, but I'd be interested to know the answer to this question too. I've recently started taking Metformin 1000 mg per day. Not sure what Trig was but Cholesterol was 283 the bad Cholesterol was 163 and Blood Sugar was at 204.

When I took the blood test I was in Induction for 3 weeks, but Blood Sugar was still high. I'm trying to find out whether Metformin will help with weight loss or hinder it.

Hope someone can answer that.

Joe
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 00:47

Plan: modified atkins/general lc
Stats: 183/156/145 Female 5'2
BF:43%/31%/22%
Progress: 71%

HI Joe Mama

I took metformin, well actually glucophage cuz metformin killed my stomache, and I took the extended release, 500 mg a day for 2 months. It did aid in some weight loss but I still had to work for it. I did stop taking it though after 2 months. I took it in the evening with dinner. I usually would wake up feelin almost hypoglycemic in the mornings though, didn't like that. I think that's it's a great way to help aid in weight loss, but i don't believe in taking it long term.... unless you are truly diabetic.....Kat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 09:15

BF:

Well, before taking the Metformin, I was loosing very slowly, I just started taking it (for diabetic reasons) and was concerned that it would slow down my weight loss.

Thanks for the info.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 10:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default Metaform

Metaform is probably the best drug you can take, if your stomach can handle it. Studies with Metaform show people actually losing a little more weight on Metaform than without, so while I wouldn't say you are going to lose a bunch of weight all the sudden, you can say that it will not cause any gain.

I couldn't take Metaform because I run a good bit (been stuck as 9 miles for a year now), and it would take my BG into the 40's at times. Actos worked good for me, and didn't cause any lows like Metaform. Not a problem for most folks.

I wouldn't have any problems taking it.

Good luck to you both,

wsgts
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 17:10

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%

I think the metformin helps me lose weight when following LC plan .. however, I didn't lose weight taking it before I started low carbing.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 17:48

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

I've been taking Metformin(glucophage xr now) for almost a year. It makes your cells more sensitive to insulin. As far as aiding in weightloss itself, i am not certain but if you are taking enough that your cells begin to become more insulin sensitive then you will produce a bit less insulin and that can lead to less fat storage. How much, i don't know. i did not weigh on it until after i had begun to also control my carbohydrates in July. i still craved carbs while on it but not low-carbing but i ate fewer of them and also i had more stomach upset if i overdid the carbs then.
I am on 2000mg of glucophage xr, which is the maximum dosage for the extended release. i was put on that because the regular Metformin/glucophage was too hard on my stomach. i take my four horse pills in the morning .. smiles.

Last edited by odyssey : Sat, Jan-31-04 at 17:52.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 17:49

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

p.s. i am not diabetic. I have hyperinsulinemia(insulin resistance) and pcos.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 16:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 237/223.6/180 Male 70 inches
BF:33/24/12
Progress: 24%

Metformin was originally for weight loss and then it was discovered that it also helped lower blood gloucose.
I have been taking metformin for a year now. I was doing 3 500mg a day butsincr I started low carbing I have found I can take 1 500mg in the morning and maintain a good BG level all day
Right now my daily BG average is 90-115 over all average is 105,but I just started following the Bernstein Plan since Dec 03.
I figure it will take a while to get into the 80-90 range, but I'm sure I'll get there.

Anyway have no fear of metformin it is the safest drug for diabetes out there.

edited for spelin
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 18:16

Plan: "modified" atkins
Stats: 287/206/170 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi....I'm on Metformin ~ 500mg/day...I have lost 10 pounds since Jan 27. So it may be helping...I have changed my eating habits since D-day...(Jan 27, 2004) maybe a lil' bit of both. Good luck with your weight loss!
I have a long road ahead of me...
Have a great evening...
~*Kelly*~

Last edited by lilgizmo : Wed, Feb-11-04 at 18:16. Reason: misspelled word
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 14:35

BF:

Another question I have... does metformin take a few days / weeks to get to its optimal effect.

In other words, some supplements say that you should take it but won't see much result until you've been taking it for so many days or weeks.

Is metformin this way?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama
Another question I have... does metformin take a few days / weeks to get to its optimal effect.

In other words, some supplements say that you should take it but won't see much result until you've been taking it for so many days or weeks.

Is metformin this way?

Actos is that way I know. I don't believe that metaform takes but a couple of days to get to working 100%. I would bring my levels right down.

How is your sugar running?

Later,
wsgts
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 21:35

BF:

I don't know how my sugar is running. I did not see my regular Dr. when they perscribed it. I am currently on a waiting list to get a regular Dr in my area. Only God knows when I'll actually get a local Dr. So right now I'm kinda flying blind.

I'm feeling ok now, but when I started taking it, i felt like my blood sugar was fluctuating. But I didn't know for sure. But the fact that i've been feeling better lately made me feel like it took a couple weeks to work properly.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 21:53

Default Some thing happened to me

Mine was dangerously high when we figured it out.

What I would do it run down to the local drug store and get a blood sugar monitoring kit. Ask the pharmacist to recommend one, they cost about $60 with the strips. Don't taking this for granted, you need to know what it's doing, or the doctor is just guessing when he adjust your medicine. I had to learn how to use it off the instructions that came with it. They aren't bad.

BTW, you need to figure out what you feel and correspond that to what is happening on the meter. A friend would always so "my sugar is low", when she felt weird, but she checked and is was 174 (which is [retty high).

Anyway, get the monitor. You can turn it in on insurance after you see your doctor. Ask him for a prescription for monitoring.

Later,
wsgts
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 06:54

Plan: "modified" atkins
Stats: 287/206/170 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default JoeM....

When I first started taking it (metformin)...my blood sugar went down. This was the first day. I agree with wsgts...you should buy a glucometer...you should be checking your blood sugar everyday, several times. You can call a pharmacy and ask if they have any "deals" on glucometers. Mine has a free meter if you buy 100 strips. You will need the strips anyways, so you might as well get a free meter. You can do a search online for free glucose meters, too. Don't delay on this...it is VERY important to self test.
Have a beautiful day
~*Kelly*~