Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 23:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%
Default Do you actually "count" your carbs?

Just wondering if you actually keep track faithfully everyday the number of carbs you eat?
I guess I am pretty slack on that but I feel that I am eating all the "right things" and in there limited amounts..

So what do you think veterans???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 23:22

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

i normally dont. i know that all the foods i ate are very low carb, so i dont bother counting.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 23:43

Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I always do, but I tend to estimate my tablespoon of this and ounces of that. So, I'm not as religious as some folks here, but I have to be pretty strict. Otherwise, I can nickle and dime myself to death, so to speak.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 01:11
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I admit to being pretty anal about counting my carbs. I use Fitday.com religiously every day to track my food intake, and make sure my fat/carbs/protein are within the recommended ratios.

I count everything. Measure some foods, eyeball others. But regularly do measure all my food to make sure my portion sizes aren't creeping up too much. Sometimes, it's a bit of a pain, but I don't regret it.

I think giving a lot of attention to my weight loss efforts has reinforced the value of what I'm doing. This is a major life overhaul and in my mind, it deserves to be done as well as I can do it. That is in no way a criticism of anyone who isn't as obsessive as I am. This is what works for me. I tend to give up on things and writing in my journal here, and keeping a food diary, keeps me focused.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 02:14
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

I don't count the carbs, but I'm constantly looking at labels and know when I'm eating "more than usual". If my weight levels, I get more strict until I start going down again.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 02:30
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 203/203/168 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default old timer(10ys ago!)

I use http://nutrigenie.biz/index.html

software, takes all the hard work out of it.

end of day, no matter what you use, is always going to be accurate guess...
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 06:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

the only time I've ever counted, (and done fitday), is when I was on a stall. If something is happening and I don't see the results I want, I attack harder. (dropping calories a little, doing Fitday, getting more exercise and more water).
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 06:40
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

The more I get the hang of this WOL the less I count my carbs.. Of course if I want to try a new food then I check and measure but not for the most part.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 06:55

Plan: Atkins OWL 30g
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 66"
BF:?/18%/15%
Progress: 60%

I've only been on Atkins for a couple of months, but I have religiously tracked my carbs since Day 1. Part of it is that I am Type A and I just feel comfortable doing that! For me it is fun as well (OK, I'm a huge dweeb). I downloaded a program on my Palm Pilot that let's me track calories, carbs, protein, fat and fiber. It's similar to fitday, but I can take my Palm with me wherever I go. I have even been known to enter food items beforehand just to figure out if a meal I'm contemplating eating will fit within my carb allowance! The program allows you to enter your own foods as well (it comes with its own food database, which includes well known restaurants). I've input a lot of my own foods using Corinne Netzer's Food Counter as well as inputting nutritional label info from items at the grocery store.

Counting isn't for everyone, but I know I have a tendency to underestimate what I'm eating, in terms of portion size as well as "forgetting" that ounce of cheese here, tablespoon of cream there, etc. So this helps me stay honest!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 07:07

Stats: 264.0/146/139 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Ratios

[QUOTE=Kaillean]make sure my fat/carbs/protein are within the recommended ratios.

This interests me greatly ~ I have been unable to find the ratio counts ~ can you help me?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 07:35

Stats: 193/173/140 Female 5ft3in
BF:
Progress: 38%

From Thumbelina:
I downloaded a program on my Palm Pilot that let's me track calories, carbs, protein, fat and fiber. It's similar to fitday, but I can take my Palm with me wherever I go.
Where?! I use a pda as well. I would like to have this program. I would use fit day, but where I live all I have is dail up which takes forever.
Please help!
Sandy
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 07:51

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I count every day. I keep an Atkins journal at home that tracks supplements, water, and exercise and a space to write whatever my feelings were that day or to note something great or bad that happened. I just feel better really knowing what I am doing and then when I get to maintenace I will know how many I can eat and not gain.

have a good day,

Linda
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 07:51

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%

I never count, I'm not very organized like that (guess I'm not type A But I watch what I eat and if the scale stops going down then I cut back on treats....My current fav's are pistacio nuts, pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds, sugar free Russel Stover Pecan Delites, Mint Patties, and sugar free cream savers strawberry candies. None of these have slowed progress any so that's what I go by...
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 08:54

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

I count everyday. I am very careful to do fitday. I am such a slow loser that I need to back track and find out what has caused problems and what has been successful.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 08:59
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I'm anal and count every day, just my personality. It works for me, so I'm not changin