Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 13:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/154/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Too much
Progress: 20%
Question Carb Cutter Supplements/How many carbs do they cut ????????????

What do you all think about Carb Cutter Supplements? They help convert carbohydrates into energy. I bought them at Walmart. It cost me about $10.00 bucks for thirty pills. Directions : Take 1-2 tablets with each of your two largest carbohydrate meals with a glass of water. I usually only take one per day. I have been staying around 20 carbs per day but you know there can be hidden carbs in some food. Sometimes going by "NET CARBS" makes me nervous and feels like I am getting to many carbs. How many actual carbs does it cut? Can anyone give me a little insite?

Last edited by thinisin : Sun, Jan-25-04 at 13:54.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 15:12
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

My 2 cents is "don't waste your money".. for more opinions, go to the supplements forum and do a search for "carb blockers"... seems very few people get any measurable results from them.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 15:54

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

The only thing getting thinner here from those carb cutters is your wallet. If those things worked we would all eat exactly what we want to eat and lose weight. There would be NO plus size people at all. If it sounds too good to be true, it IS too good to be true. The best thing you can do is just follow this way of eating the way it was written. The carb cutter things - well, they're just THINGS!

shortstuff
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 17:59
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

And you also shouldn't be worried about getting "too many carbs" so that you cut out fiber from your diet. Fibers don't carry any energy, they pass through your body helping your bowel movements actually HELPING OUT with the weight loss process. Here's what Dr. Atkins said about fiber:

In fact, fiber actually slows the entry of glucose into the bloodstream. This, in turn, reduces the blood-sugar spikes that cause insulin production and encourage the body to produce and store body fat. And by slowing down food’s transit time in the digestive tract, fiber helps you feel full longer, resulting in fewer food cravings.

But that’s just the beginning. Fiber also:

* binds to cholesterol in the intestine, helping rid the body of it.
* absorbs and then eliminates bacterial toxins in the intestine.
* reduces the likelihood of getting diverticulitis.
* speeds the excretion of gallstone-promoting bile.
* supports the immune system by crowding out harmful bacteria in the colon.
* bulks up the stool and make it easier to pass.

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-710297.html

So, count your NETcarbs, i.e. full carbs minus (indigestable) fiber and you'll be just fine.

If you're afraid of "hidden carbs" i.e. carbs not accounted for on food packages, just run it through the "Hidden Carbs Inspector" (found under "Low Carb Tools" in the orange bar on top of this page) instead of decreasing your daily carb intake, missing out on those good fibers.

/gil

Last edited by gilibel : Sun, Jan-25-04 at 18:01.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 18:01
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You might not want to take them everyday anyway. For many they cause major gas and diareah, not a fun time.

Most also just block starch or sugar, not both.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 18:15

Thanks for the insite. I am kind of new at this. I tried Atkins once before for 2 weeks and lost 12 lbs. but gave up soon after. I know it works so I am a bit puzzled this time. I have been on Atkins for 3 weeks now and have only lost 5 lbs. I am a little disappointed but not ready to give it up. I have back tracked to try and figure out what I am doing different this time. I followed induction and was completely faithful. I am on week three and still have not cheated. I have dreamed many times that I cheated but haven't as of yet. I have started watching my caffine alot closer. I have to have my coffee in the morn but have even gave it up for decaf. The last time I did Atkins I ate nuts almost daily during induction because I didn't know it was wrong and still lost 12 lbs........don't know whats up this time. Any advise?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 18:18
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Each time you go off plan and get back on, the weight loss will be slower. It is also very common in the third week to have a slow down or no loss while your body kind of catches it's breath. Typicaly people lose 10% of what they need to in induction and 5% of what they have left each month thereafter. Since you only have 25 pounds to lose, it will be slower for you.

You might post some of your typical menus on here though if you are worried and see if anyone has advice. Also get an account at www.fitday.com that will really help you find those hidden carbs you are worried about. If by "net carbs" you are also adding in sugar alcohols, protien bars, and candies, no-no That can stall many people.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 18:56

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

I would do as Ladybelle suggests...a journal is a great way for others to check your menus. I found once that I wasn't eating enough veggies and WAY to many calories. (This isn't a calorie diet but mine where through to roof!)

I need to remember the water water water too...some of those can really make a difference from one attempt to the other!

Here's to your final success!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 19:14

With this week being my third week, I did try out the Atkins Endulge peanut butter cups. They have 2g of net carbs. I also tried a few pieces of the sugerless candies that Cream Savers makes. OOOP's I will start fresh this week. No Endulge or candies or caffine of any kind, lots of water, water, water!!!! Wish me luck. I will let you know how I am doing. This forum sight is the most encouragement that I have had. I have found out several new ideas and have had alot of questions answered just by reading some of the postings.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 19:37

Just posted my picture and wanted to see if it worked
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 19:39

Nope it didn't. How do you get your pic beside each posting?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 19:56

It did not work. How do you get your picture beside you posting each time you post?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 20:50
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

thinisin,
If you mean that you want to change your avatar to the left (under your name) to a photo you have on your computer, you need to go to the top of this page, click on the "profile" button, then chose "avatar" and scroll down to the bottom of that page. Either insert a direct link to a picture you have on the net, or upload it from your computer. Your avatar can't be larger than 300 x 300 pixels or it won't work.

There is also a gallery section on this forum where you can upload larger pics.

If you want to test things out, go to the "test" area on the board (bottom of the main page) where you can post test-posts as much as you need.

Also, check out the "Comments Box and Technical Questions" subforum for tips on how to publish pictures.

Best of luck.

Last edited by gilibel : Sun, Jan-25-04 at 20:51.