Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 17:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/140/130 Male 5 ' 4"
BF:18.8
Progress: 89%
Red face Feeling so tired........

Well i have lost about 90 pounds on this diet and must say that it has changed my life and of those around me. However i have been feeling so tired lately. I take centrum a-z with lycopene and E400. It begins in the afternoon. I think i am going to die from being tired. I eat my fats, vegetables and all, do not know what i am doing wrong. I eat all types of meats and cannot help but fell tired. I was not like this in the begining... Should i go carbing a couple days? I have been in induction for about 10 months now.. I xercise every day. However i am stopping exercise on the weekends to see if i am suffering from overtraining. Please help me. Someone must have had my problems
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 18:00

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I have been doing Atkins for almost 2 years. I have done induction for most of that time and am on it again due to holiday lc treats. You can have too much of the legal stuff. Which I did. I too have felt exhausted some days. I read that CO Q 10 can help with that feeling. I have tried it and still feel some afternoons that I could lie down and sleep until the cows come home. I not sure if I have been of any help, but wanted you to know you are not alone. We have all BTDT. I am sure one of the more experienced LCer will be able to give you some better advise. Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 18:21

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm also not the most knowledgeable source, but it sounds to me like it might be time for you to be "climbing the carb ladder". Now that you've lost the bulk of your weight (Way to go by the way!!! Well done!!!!), and you're approaching goal, you should be adding back carbs - more veggies, nuts, low GI fruits, some breads - and gradually increasing your carb level until you find where you can maintain your weight, or lose very slowly. Remember that as your carb level goes up, your fat level should/will come down a bit.

By adding SOME carbs back in, healthy, low GI carbs, you may find your energy level picking up a bit. This would probably be a better choice that "carbing up" on high carb junk food that would likely leave you feeling bloated, tired, hungry & craving things.

Good luck!!!
Wynter
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 18:25

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

...WOW...WOW...WOW...BRAVO BRAVO....OH MY GOD............ so SO so envy on you !!!!!!....but be... so SO so careful now...that the only thing I can say here...so sorry dont know much......
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 20:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've looked at your previous posts and if you're doing circuit training three days a week and not fueling yourself before and after it could be the cause of your exhaustion. It's pretty well a universal agreement that you need a little more fuel for strenuous training.

Here's an excellent thread that may help you with understanding how it works:

Cortisol: Understanding and Management

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 21:32

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

maybe add some B complex supplements to your vitamin regime, as well. I found they really helped with energy levels.

If you're doing heavy workouts it's okay to increase carb intake. Your muscles need the glycogen! Check out this subject in the exercise forum.

congrats, BTW, and I hope you've got more energy soon!

Nicole
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 06:19

Default Thank-you

Well i am going to try what you guys said. Thank-you very much and continue wish the best of luck to all..
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 17:23

Default bump

bump bump bump
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 17:53
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Do you take potassium and magnesium supplements? We tend to flush electrolytes out when drinking lots of water. Potassium deficiency can lead to fatigue and muscle weakness. Magnesium deficiency can lead to concentration problems, confusion, depression, muscle cramps and tremors.

Doesn't hurt to pop some extra.

Maybe a blood sample checkup at the doctors office? Your iron values, thyroid etc?

And don't forget to drink your water.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 19:25

Default thanyou man

Well i felt better today with the Bcomplex and potassium. I will look into the magnesium though because i am having concentration problems and as a student that it not good
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 20:52
Registered Member

Stats: 254/229/190 Male 72 inches
BF:24/16/12
Progress: 39%

Edward,

I had the same problem. Every day around 2-4pm I felt exhausted. I finally got over it by taking 1000mg of L-Carnitine...

-Callahan-
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 22:23
Registered Member

Stats: 236/213.4/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Congratulations onyour loss so far! I am wondering are you still getting sufficient calories to sustain your extra activities? As Karen mentioned if you are doing extra training work you might have 'special needs'.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 22:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 203/203/168 Male 5'9"
BF:
Default time off

I have been training for over 20yrs, at my peak I too was training every day,

with the strict dietary control, is too much probably.

I had friends that would take 1x whole week out, in every 4 to 6 weeks at the gym, & give the body a complete chance to re-charge.

You have achieved such great weight loss, ease up a bit on the throttle...

well done