Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 19:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/222/220 Male 6' 5"
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default McDonalds Canada to offer Protein Platters

McDonalds Canada will soon be a bit easier to eat at. They are going to fully list nutritional info, and are brining out "Protein platters". Below is the story released today on Reuters News Service. But what we really need them to do is bring out Low-Carb buns.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticl...39&section=news

McDonald's Canada to Offer New, Lighter Menu
18:31 EST Monday, January 19, 2004

TORONTO (Reuters) - With fast food coming under fire from groups as diverse as documentary film makers, health advocates and the overweight, McDonald's Restaurants of Canada Ltd. said on Monday it will list the calories in all the food it sells and offer Canadians a new, lighter menu.

The move to embrace healthier eating comes amid growing concerns over the links between obesity and fast-food meals like hamburgers and French fries, and in the wake of U.S. lawsuits that blame McDonald's Corp. for customers' weight problems.

By March, McDonald's Canada expects to carry items like grilled cheese sandwiches and apple slices with caramel sauce as options for children. At least two new salads and more grilled chicken items will be added to menus in some 1,300 restaurants across the country.

But the biggest change will be the decision to provide nutritional details on posters at counter and on the back of every tray-liner.

Everything from a package of ketchup, which has 2.4 grams of carbohydrates, to a bacon double cheeseburger, which has 25 grams of fat and 36 grams of carbohydrates, will be listed.

"We want consumers to have the information to make better choices," said Richard Ellis, a spokesman for McDonald's Canada.

Similar nutrition listings are now offered at Canadian sandwich and doughnut chain Tim Hortons, a unit of Wendy's International Inc. .

McDonald's will also cater to the popularity of low-carbohydrate meals, popularized by the high-protein Atkins diet, and will offer protein platters -- basically meals without bread.

In New York, McDonald's tested a low-carbohydrate plan that it said would help customers customize meals on its menu within three dieting styles: low fat, low calorie, and low carb.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 20:10
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Wow....it's great to see that they are all finally catching on!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 20:24

Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

NO KIDDING! I missed this today....
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 06:17
Registered Member

Stats: 235/165/180 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Low carb buns with be a goldmine for a fast food joint. If MCD's beats everyone to the punch, then profits will go up. Look at Subway. I work in Hull and they are ALWAYS running out of wraps.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:33
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/200/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/22
Progress: 0%

Hey Jeepclub, I work in Hull too! I haven't tried the subway wraps yet but it's nice to know that they are there if and when you need them...

I've had the McDonald's "protein platter" more than once, they just didn't know what they were giving me! It is nice to see more restaurants realizing that lc isn't going to go away.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 17:23
Registered Member

Stats: 301/230/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

This is great news!! I hope that they will also start carrying low carb salad dressing. I have found that the ones they have now either have sugar in them or they are low fat dressings. Not good for us...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 00:59

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

blueowl can you tell me where you found that article?

Thanks......Marlaine
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 22:56
Registered Member

Stats: 292/222/220 Male 6' 5"
BF:
Progress: 97%

The article was on my online brokerage site. I am unable to post the link, as you must have an account with them to see it. That is why I did a copy and paste. THe MCdonalds Website has a press release on it, regarding the announcement
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 23:08

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

blueowl.....thanks....I'll check it out.

Marlaine
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 00:29

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 230/214/140 Female 5 Feet 0 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

That's great, I hope the McDonald's restaurants in my city will take note and be one of the 1300. I contacted A&W canada to see if they had any idea of the low carb options that were mentioned in another thread on the Atkins forum, and their reply follow. So here's hoping...

Stephanie

Thank you for your comments. We are about to test a low carb option for our burgers. If the test goes well, we will launch nationally. So stay tuned.

Nancy Wuttunee
Director of Operating Systems and Training
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 21:16

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

I would LOVE for McD's to come out with an LC bun! We're all such busy people and need to eat on the run sometimes but don't want to sacrifice our health (as we did in the past)! I went thru A&W drive thru this past Thursday (in Surrey, BC, Canada) and the cashier told me that they will be offering an LC bun for any burger starting next week (per Steph's post above). It's been double checked with the company and YES, they'll be having them! So I'll try to buy enough so the rest of Canada can get them too

Nicole
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 21:21

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much

My fear would always be that they run out of the lc buns and the yahoo working the grill would just put it ona regular one without my knowing it. ACK! I've gotten regular pop more times than I can count when I've asked for diet. Would be nice to have a burger without the grease running down my arm though.

Nicole
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 21:36
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Original link found and added to the first post. http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticl...39&section=news

Wa'il
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 08:29

Stats: 210/204/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Now all McDonalds needs to do is bring those amazing salads they sell in the US up here and I'll be a regular customer!!!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 11:07

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

You don't have McDonald's salads?!?!? We've had them here for at least a year--they are bleeping DISGUSTING and a total waste of money, plain, wilted lettuce and gross toppings!! I gave them 2 chances and they blew it each time. Be glad you haven't ordered one...

Wendy's salads, OTOH, are really fresh and have good toppings, too. Altho, it would be nice if they used other greens like spinach, arugula...

Nicole