Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-01, 00:15
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb Compulsive Eating

... can undermine your lowcarb efforts, especially if you find you are eating past the point of satiety much of the time.

There's an article titled Cravings which you'll find in the Low Carb Tips section, from the menu bar at the top. While it deals mainly with Carb. Cravings, I do discuss Emotional Eating, and Binge/Compulsive eating too.

I'm an emotional eater, and a tendency to eat compulsively when I'm bored or lonely. I don't crave carbs, and am not addicted to any food in particular, or at least that I'm aware of. On the other hand, when I'm stressed, anxious, angry, upset .... I stop eating altogether. I have to remind myself to eat, and often will throw out entire platefuls of food, after eating just a bite or two.

Here's some info. I found, that might be helpful.
Quote:
What is compulsive binge-eating disorder?

- is characterized by frequent episodes of binge eating, occurring at least two days a week for six months.

- episodes are associated with at least three of the following:
  • eating rapidly.
  • eating until feeling uncomfortably full.
  • eating when not hungry.
  • eating alone because of embarrassment.
  • feeling disgusted, depressed or guilty after overeating.
A person will also experience marked distress about the binge eating but NOT regularly engage in self-induced vomiting, fasting or abuse of laxatives or diuretics.
Geneen Roth has written a number of books on compulsive eating disorders -- she writes with humour and personal insight. "Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating" and "Feeding the Hungry Heart" are excellent. You can probably find both of these at your local library. I'm currently reading her latest "When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair" .. .. She describes what that title means thus
Quote:
Most of the people with whom I work "graze" at the refrigerator while standing up. They pretend they are not really eating, they just happened to pass by the fridge on their way to the phone and thought they'd check if the contents have changed since the last time they looked.

My message is: If you are going to do something, bring all your attention to it and enjoy it for all it's worth! Pleasure is good! Stop sneaking around. You wouldn't think of inviting a friend over for dinner and standing with her in front of the refrigerator picking out of Tupperware containers with your fingers--there is no reason to treat yourself that way either. Also, people eat MUCH less when they allow themselves to focus on, taste and enjoy their food.

< snip >

We're going about this diet-thing backwards! People are trying to work from the outside in, as if changing the shape of their bodies will actually affect the state of their hearts and souls. It doesn't because it can't. A body-size is a physical, concrete thing. Love, value, self-worth, strength, joy must--and CAN-- be developed by focusing attention where they are located: inside, not outside your body.

Doreen