Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 09:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/126/110 Female 5' 1
BF:??
Progress: 38%
Unhappy Not to bad on induction, but should I do again?

I was wondering if I should start induction again and when is the best time to do over? My last day is today and I think I blew it by drinking alcohol some during this phase. Should I just continue on with induction? Or should I stop for a couple of days and re-try??

Thanks,
Ada
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 10:03

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

First of all, whaddayamean, stop for a couple of days? Is this code for a Farewell to Carbs Fest?
Second, you seem to have already lost ten pounds. This is not a "blown it" induction, this is a successful induction.
Thirdly, with as little weight as you have left to lose, it will probably slow down anyway, and you should be moving into OWL and the other levels of carbs at this point.
So I guess my answer is NO.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 10:13
Registered Member

Talking

I didn't mean go off the diet and eat anything I wanted! I just meant eating a normal diet with fruit(yum) and nuts(yummy). Then go back on induction. I am in it for life, ya know. I want to lose this weight once and for all and FOREVER and A Day or 2 or 3!!! You miss understood me, that's all!

Ada
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 11:15

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

No problem Ada, just wondered. Certainly start climbing the carb ladder and start adding in good carbs like nuts and berries (which are my favorites over whole grains anytime.) At your stage, most people only go back to Induction if they mess up big time.
So glad to hear you are enjoying it!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 15:16
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It's a personal decision. You can continue on induciton, or you can move on to ongoing weight loss. It depends on how much weight you have to lose still, if you are bored with induction choices on food, of you are ready to discover your critical level of carbs, and so on. Since you are so close to goal, weight loss is going to be slow anyway. It may be a good idea to start figuring out what your body can handle carb wise so you have a wide range of foods already added when you reach goal and have an easier time maintaining as you know your tolerence levels.

It does sound like you are somewhat bored with induction. Make sure to reread the chapters on ongoing weight loss so you can follow it easily. Remember with nuts the serving sizes are small and it's very easy to overdo. Measure carefully at first until you get a feel for eyeballing the serving size. Calories and carbs from nuts can sneak up fast.

For fruit, start with berries every few days until you know how you'll react. Then slowly add in other GI fruits. The reason for adding back in foods in a slow manner and one at a time is to easily tell if you have a reaction to a certain food. If your weight loss completely stops (remember some slowing is normal and even some periods of no weight loss), or if you get cravings triggered. Some people even experience sudden allergic reactions they never noticed until they cut the food out for a while

Carb Ladder
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-770965.html

The importance of the glycemic index part 1
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-182703.html

Part 2
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-589297.html

The glycemic index
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-72914.html
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 21:53
Registered Member

Default lifestyle change

I did get a little bored, but I did enjoy losing the weight! It is so hard to do. And now that I've been through 2 weeks I know that I can just keep on going. I am going to buy the Atkins Cookbook to help in the area of planning meals that are different to add a little spice to my recipes that I've already tried. This will help. This website is also very helpful when trying to figure out what to eat. I never really was big bread eater, however my tortilla's are something I can't live without. I'm just glad there is a low carb version. Haven't tried them yet though and I hear that they are like cardboard and not to crisp after fried or baked But I have faith that I can figure a way to make the darn things crispy!! I think also just knowing that millions of other people are on the same plan as I helps me to stay focused and inspired to lose the weight. I do know that my exercise needs to increase to "pep up" my fat burnign process. It's so hard to get motivated though. I get up every day around 6 have to drive an hour to work and then in the afternoon too. When I get home I'm exhausted and really don't feel the motivation to keep going, however I have in the past. I moved a little farther from work this year and live out in the country off of a main road which is very busy. I used to live in the city where it was so easy to just grab my sneakers and my dog and walk right out onto the street to get exercise. Once I get to my new home I relax. Maybe I should move back to the city???

Ada