Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 15:21

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Cool Taxpayers Footing the Bill for Obesity/Diabetes

I bet healthy people are taking notice at all the latest publicity on Diabetes and Obesity.

Here is the link...just had to point out this one line though!

Quote:
California spends the most on health care for the obese, $7.7 billion, and Wyoming spends the least, $87 million
There has been some controversay about where the most obesity in the USA is..so I found this line very enlightening!

Here is the entire article:

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/art...121132609990005
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 16:08

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default making me crazy

Funny how in this pc world it is still okay to make fun of, abuse, mistreat, discriminate, etc against the obese.
Someone needs to study the statistics about how much it cost taxpayers for people to drink too much, take illegal drugs, produce children outside of marriage and expect taxpayers to pay to raise them, have risky sex - how far do we take this? What I want to know is how much it costs to rescue people who try to cllimb mountains and get stuck; or go on hikes, get lost, and have to be searched for and rescued.
Maybe there wouldn't be quite as many obese people if the government hadn't pushed its stupid food pyramid, if the government didn't subsidize sugar growers, if the government didn't allow msg to be added to food.
One way to answer all the people who want to say that obesie and/or diabetic folks costs the government $$$ - how much will we save the government in medicare and social security by dying early?
Okay - I've had my rant!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 16:11

BF:

Amen, sister!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrielee
I bet healthy people are taking notice at all the latest publicity on Diabetes and Obesity.

Here is the link...just had to point out this one line though!

There has been some controversay about where the most obesity in the USA is..so I found this line very enlightening!

Here is the entire article:

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/art...121132609990005

it's very interesting, how statistics can be played.these numbers alone don't mean much. according to year 2000 census, population of California is 34,480,000 and population of Wyoming... 493,872. no wonder, there are greater number of $$ spent on everything, obesity including with a population difference of 30 millions.
however, it doesn't mean that % of obese people is greater in California. also, some more interesting and enlightening facts
http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...-city02-ON.html
i hope that food pyramid along with the "correct nutritions" will be revised in future. it's already good that the quiestion has been raised, there is no day without low carb diets being on TV or papers, and it's gaining more positives reps.
Regards,
Dina

Last edited by dina1957 : Wed, Jan-21-04 at 17:34.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 17:41

BF:

Dina - Comparing cities and states are like comparing strawberries and bananas. BTW, I believe the Aol News on State Statistics was per capita. (Do you know what that means?) Wow...why are you so defensive of Calif? There is a large Hispanic population out there that is obese as a result of eating Western Food...many Diabetics.

Anyway, I think that there are many factors that go into taxpayers paying for the "unhealthy"....Enemy #1 (IMO)...smoking and second hand smoke! (Which California has "thankfully" gotten rid of in public places.

You really want to "tangle" on this issue, don't you? Every wondered why? Sometimes it is quite enlightening to discover the reason behind the prejudice remember, I am from California....spent most of my life there...and love it with all it's flaws and wonders.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 18:21
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

[QUOTE=Sherrielee]Dina - Comparing cities and states are like comparing strawberries and bananas. BTW, I believe the Aol News on State Statistics was per capita. (Do you know what that means?)
Quote:
this was exactly my point, there are so many other factors to consider when comparing what is spent on obesity. and yes, i know what "per capita" means, and I quote:
California spends the most on health care for the obese, $7.7 billion, and Wyoming spends the least, $87 million.i don't think it's "per capita".

[quote] There is a large Hispanic population out there that is obese as a result of eating Western Food...many Diabetics.

this is what i can't tolerate the most, when whole nations, counries ot nationalities are being blamed. given that a lot of them simply have no access to better and more expensive food, health care, education and such. i'm not concerned that my tax payer dollars will be spent on treating obese and diabetics, if it will help people to achieve better health, even better than spent on wars and such.

Quote:
You really want to "tangle" on this issue, don't you? Every wondered why? Sometimes it is quite enlightening to discover the reason behind the prejudice remember, I am from California....spent most of my life there...and love it with all it's flaws and wonders.

no, i don't, i thouhgt that this topic was closed. i like california and have nothing against other states too. personally i'd love to move to Hawaii, LOL. and it there was nothing prejudice in what i've posted before, just some statistics. and this applies especially to other nations and countries. there this is why i brought it up in a 1st place. don't want to go another round of this. this is not going to help us achieve better BGs for sure, LOL
cheers,
dina

Last edited by dina1957 : Wed, Jan-21-04 at 18:27.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 19:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:

Per capita state spending on health care costs:

http://statehealthfacts.kff.org/cgi...+State+Spending

California ranks 17th in the per capita spending by the state (more than 800 dollars per person higher than Wyoming).

Per capita costs for personal spending on health care:
http://statehealthfacts.kff.org/cgi...al+Expenditures

Not too sure about moving to Hawaii. While it's a beautiful state to be sure, they're pretty high up the list on both statistics.
Then again, it was Mark Twain who once said, "There's lies, damn lies and then there's statistics..."

While I don't think anyone will be able to deny that diabetes and obesity (along with their related complication diseases) are major drivers of health care spending, both state funded and private, isn't it a bit silly to be arguing about which state spends the most and which particular minority is contributing to those costs? It is a fact that diabetes, hypertension and obesity seem to be higher among certain minority groups; the cause is more elusive. Is it genetic? Environmental? Economic? Or a combination of all of those? I believe that the latter is probably a better explanation; genetics determine who is more susceptible than others in getting these diseases, but environment and level of income (and therefore what types of foods one can afford to purchase) also play a part in determining who among that group will suffer the results.

Last edited by Lisa N : Wed, Jan-21-04 at 19:15.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 08:35

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%

The best way for us to change things for the better is to keep low carbin' and educating our family, friends, business associates and physicians as best and whenever we can. My 8 year old daughter knows that the FDA food pyramid is upside down, just from having observed my dietary habits. I'll bet that by the time she's in college that pyramid will look very different.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 07:23

Plan: My Own
Stats: 240/213/152 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 31%

As it's no longer allowed to make jokes or comments about race, disability, etc etc. it's seems OK to mock fat people. Yet most of us are not sat at home stuffing huge quanties of food as we seem to be portrayed. We are not greedy people. I eat a lot less than most people I know but over the years I have gained weight. Thanks to the low carb diet my weight is slowly beginning to go down. If only governments would take low carb diets seriously and put serious money into research. I think in the future doctors will understand obesity and like like the 'insane' of the old days, will recognise thats it's usually a medical condition, not greed that make us fat.