Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 11:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default Clothing size/ weight question

I cannot figure out what is going on. When I was in high school, I wore a size 7. I always weighed about 130ish. Fast forward to now, I am currently 143 and can fit into a size 4.

Are they making clothes bigger now? I cannot figure out how I can weigh 13 lbs more and wear 2 sizes smaller. It has really got me confused.

What do you think is going on? Has anyone else noticed this sort of thing?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 11:31
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Lucky you! I'm 122 and wear a 5/6
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 11:40

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

The clothing is definitly bigger. My daughter has lots of friends wearing zise 0 or 2/3. I never knew anyone that small. I'm now wearing a smaller size at 145 lbs (9/10) than I did 30 years ago when I weighed 121 (11/12). I went straight to a size 11 in Jr. High when my hips appeared. They sure haven't gotten smaller over the years!

I also think that we are smaller at any given weight with LC than with the carbs. When I got down to this weight 15 years ago (for a few weeks!) I was in 13/14s with a much bigger belly.

What ever the reason, it sure is nice buying the smaller sizes

Barb
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 11:50

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

The truth of the matter is that sizes are running larger now. I know, worked in garment district NYC for over 10 yrs. What was a size 9 - 20 yrs ago is more like 11 or 13 now. Same for missy sizes. I can wear a size 8 now...even as a thin, 125 teenager, I was wearing a size 8/9. NO WAY is that the same size 8 as when I was 19...

Its a vanity thing. But you know what...I don't mind cause I seem to have more to choose from (clothes wise). Its my friend who I'm sorry for. She "was" a size 5 and now with the new sizing is a size 1....has a very hard time finding clothes.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 11:56

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 255/239/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%

That is great a size 4 at 143. My daughter is very thin and weighs 115 she wears a size 5. Maybe it was the way that pair was made. I never new sizes has changed that much. I knew they had some. OH well I will be happy when I get to 145. That is just great for you, you must feel so great.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 12:00

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

Yup, they're making it bigger because the population (at least in the US) is so much ahem... fatter... than we used to be. Also you are comparing a junior size (odd numbers) to a misses size (even numbers). They don't quite compare. The misses sizes are for a more mature frame while the juniors are basically for teens and very young women.

Squid
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 12:47

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I think also it's different body types. For instance, I see from your profile you are about 5'4. I'm 5'8 and at 148 I'm a 12! (I'm jealous! That's so great! A size 4!) So if people are so different who's to say your own body can't be different at various ages? Maybe your fat to muscle ratio is much different now. Couple that with the fact that sizes have changed over the years and I could see why there is such a difference in your present and previous size.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 13:19
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Sizes have changed. But LC seems to thin us out a lot, too. I'm 167 (167.5 today, GRR) and wear a size 10. (I'm 5'8"). Last time I was this weight, about 15 years ago, I was a 12/13.

K.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 14:12

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

It's both: the clothes are bigger and you are smaller doing LC at your weight. I know this because I can wear the same old clothes now that I couldn't get into at this weight before. But when I shop for new stuff I have to look at way smaller sizes than I used to.

I really notice it in thrift stores- I can wear stuff ranging from size 7 to 11 depending on how new it is.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 14:21

Stats: 126/110/112 Female 62 inches
BF:27%/22%/21%
Progress: 114%

At 126 (pre-Atkins) I had four size 8 petite pants that I could wear. Rolls above the waist, and I wore loose size medium tops to hide it.

Now, at 113 I can wear new size 4 petite pants, but I cannot fit into size 4 petite pants from my closet that I bought years ago. They are definitely a slimmer cut.

Somewhere in the last few years, I think all the sizes got "promoted". We were getting bigger and buying a larger size was so depressing, the manufacturers re-labeled the clothes so we would buy more without admitting we were larger.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid
Yup, they're making it bigger because the population (at least in the US) is so much ahem... fatter... than we used to be. Also you are comparing a junior size (odd numbers) to a misses size (even numbers). They don't quite compare. The misses sizes are for a more mature frame while the juniors are basically for teens and very young women.

Squid

Yes truly.

I am very pear shaped... almost all my weight is in my hips, lower stomach/butt and thighs. I wear a 12 or a 14 in misses depending on the cut. I find the waist-hip ratio in juniors pants just doesn't fit me right... usually a 13 in misses is a little too big in the waist but the hips fit nice, and an 11 is usually way too small in the hips but the waist fits. They are sized for kids with narrower hips I think, definitely not pear-friendly .
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 14:32
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 185/175/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Echoing .....

Sizes are definitely larger because I work at Banana Republic and there was a time when a 16 from there was cut tight. I've only lost about 15 pounds since before Atkins and now the 12's are lose. The pricier and more expensive the garment, the more giving it usually is in the cut. I agree with the comment that Juniors and Misses are different. There are girls at Banana complaining about how the size 0's are too big now. It makes me mad (grr).
ALso remember "STRETCH", whoever came up with this concept is a genius. They put it in almost evrything now. I remember growing up and pants were just wool, or cotton, or whatever. Rarely did you find strecth material, especially in jeans. Even the stuff that's not supposed to be stretch has a little stretch in it. The clothes nowadays are being made differently.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 14:34
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

slim4life - iItotally agree about price affecting size. You would think lower cost clothes would be cut bigger (since the poor are more likely to be overweight) but from my experience it is just the opposite. Designer 14s are usually too large on me.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 14:44

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

I definately think it has to be body size and shape. I am 129 and I am a size 7. In high school I was 110-112 and I wore a 4/5. My butt is much bigger than it was in high school that is for sure LOL