Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 10:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 326/308/190 Male 6'
BF:51%/?%/15%
Progress: 13%
Angry Great Googly Moogly!

So, I was alone this morning on the way to work... I though to myself, "Self, how bout we treat ourselves to a latte? We live in the Pacific Northwest and we may get thrown out if they find out we haven't had one in 3 months." I apparently thought it was a good idea and headed to the local drive thru.

I being of sound mind and not wanting to get to much of that dreaded caffeine, asked for a regular 16oz not my usual triple 20oz. And boy was it tasty.

So when I got to work, I hit fitday (having resolved yesterday to start updating it on a daily basis) and inputted my breakfast so far. And I was doing well until I entered in that 16oz of 2% milk. WOW! 23 freaking carbs... 0_o

Looks like I am having a salad for lunch... feh.

Last edited by NotMyself : Wed, Jan-21-04 at 10:49.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 12:19
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Ya know...I heard that if you oogly your moogly too much you can go blind.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 12:32
Registered Member

thank god I have two. Oh and Ice Cream has no bones.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 12:38

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 322.4/287/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hey I'm from WA lol and if and when we ever get back there I will be making my trips to Starbuck's again- before dd was born I went twice a day - and back then I was not fat! hehe Anyhow, you know, they do have soy milk there and you can ask for the sugar free syrups. I have never really been a milk drinker and whenever I did have it I would feel sick aftewards. And back then I was a vegan so I always ordered a triple irish cream soy latte- nuuuuuuuumers. Course now I won't be ordering anything for a while- not to mention this town doesn't believe in having coffee houses open during the winter but would rather have them hopen when it's 90 degrees out and humid as can be lol- I know- messed up place. But once I get off of induction and am out of this town, I will probably be taking a trip to a starbuck's and getting myself and sugar free soy latte of some sort.
Anyhow, now you got me reminiscing about Seattle and all my pals at Starbuck's lol.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 12:47
Registered Member

guess I need to hit the starbucks page and see what I can have... find some info on nutritional value..
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 12:52
Registered Member

nope looks like the Grande Soy Latte has 28 carbs 21 from sugar... Looks like the best option is a Breve with <1 gram sugars and 20 total. But that blows my plan totally as I am trying to stay under 40ish
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 12:54
Registered Member

Or I guess I can go with a straight espresso at <1 gram carbs total..
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 12:55

BF:

They usually use vanilla flavored soy milk and I know that has more carbs, but I'm pretty sure they have the plain too which I believe - don't quote me on this, but I think it's 7 grams of net carbs per serving, and with low cal syrup and decaf coffee there ya go. We're moving to VA in July and will have a Starbuck's close by, and you can bet that I will be going there lol. Also a soy latte with half irish cream syrup and half vanill syrup- tastes like coconut in soy milk- that one is really tasty lol. I miss Seattle!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 19:47

Stats: 310/288.5/135 Female 5'6 and a half
BF:too ***#* much
Progress: 12%

Most Soy milks contain sugar.. its actually pretty hard to find one without. Why not get a Latte made with really whipping cream and sugar free vanilla.
I used to work at a coffee house and I loved steamed cream with sugar free vanilla. Or raspberry..YUMMY!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 19:51

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

i don't know if this helps you but a cup of half and half has 8 carbs. If you really love Latte maybe it is time to invest in a latte machine and make your own, low carb versions that is?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 06:32
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

I bought a machine (Capresso, I think the brand is) that I enjoy with my espresso (double shot) and then I froth some 1/2 and 1/2 for a legal latte'. Wonderful stuff. \

Remember if you buy a machine to have your coffee ground espresso style (finely ground). Having tried most of the brand name high-end coffee's I have found that good old Dunkin Donuts house brand is by far better than most of the expensive beans. They will custom grind the beans while you wait.

Remember to look at the carbb count of the milks you use to froth. Fat free is generally the highest. Full cream is the least...but does not froth. I settle on half and half OR just espresso shots with cream added. I do not use sweeteners.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 16:33

Stats: 310/288.5/135 Female 5'6 and a half
BF:too ***#* much
Progress: 12%

Hi Mister E
I had no trouble frothing full cream.... Actually I really like it.
But then you work in a coffee shop you can learn to froth anything. ttyl!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 19:22

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I live in the PNW and quite a few of the espresso shops around here are beginning to advertise their own low carb creations....

Last month I went to a place called Java Connection.... they have a low carb mocha advertised as 6g carbs...and you can flavor the mocha with any sugarfree syrup they have...no extra carbs or cost. When I ordered mine, I said I only had 5g left to have that day, and the lady said she'd use 3/4 scoop of the cocoa instead of full scoop...and that mocha was YUMMY...and I didn't even miss the carbs!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 20:42

BF:

Our daughter has to have soy milk and the plain Silk Soy has 7 grams per serving after subtracting the fiber. I used to drink it before starting Atkins and it actually tastes less sweet then regular milk.

Ingredients:
filtered water, whole organic soybeans, naturally milled evaporated cane juice, calcium cabronate, sea salt, natural flavors, carrageenan, vit A vit D riboflavin Vit B

I'm confused about one thing. It lists the carb content and then under fiber is says sugars- 6g. SO are you supposed to add that to the carb count too or is that part of the carb count?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 21:59

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%

It's part of the total carb count as far as I know. It's how I've always treated it and fitday seems to agree. You can always check on a hidden carb counter if you're concerned.

Nicole