Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 00:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 226/226/190 Male 6'0
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Eating bad Foods for 1 day on Atkins?

K, i just started induction for atkins, and i planned to do it for longer than the normal 2 weeks, but at the end of this First week i'm going on a Ski Trip, where i know i will be having some beers and Eating bad food because there will be nothing else Really available, Besides regaining urges how do u think going off the Diet for 1 day like this effects it in it's whole?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 07:39

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 241/212.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 31%

hmmm.. are you going to be somewhere where everyone brings the food/beer/etc. or at a resort with bars?
If a resort.. order lower carb beer or drink a mixed drink with low calorie/carb mixer. If eating in restaurants.. there should be low carb choices, or very close, you can choose.
If everyone bringing their own.. maybe you could buy some lower carb drinks and food to add to the pile?
That said.. one day is not going to end your low carb lifestyle unless you let it. It will probably throw you out of ketosis and you may or may not gain a few water pounds back, but once you go back to eating correctly it will be ok.
I would say the biggest danger.. from experience.. is continuing to eat high carb after you cheat, giving up.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:30

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

I do 1 cheat meal per week and have no problem losing. Even when olding at goal for 2 years when we vacation I had 1 cheat meal per day and did ok as long as I stayed healthy the rest of the day and didn't stuff myself during that meal.
However, when I completely went off plan I regained big time!!!!!!
I think if you are a person who really fights carb craving I would deffinately put some guidelines to stop yourself from going hog wild on the carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I agree, the big problem is STOPPING. And I've found that pub food can be really carb friendly: wings, cheese sticks, salmon roll ups, cold cut platters are all great things I've noshed on while drinking.
So tell yourself that it isn't a license to whack out your plan. The days are not off/on, it's more like a bank account. When you spend a little more than you planned, you don't go ahead and empty your account, do you? (I hope not!)
It's the same way with carbs. If you look, there are usually good choices.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 10:06
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I think that the most integral part of Induction is getting into ketosis and ridding your body of carb cravings. This in my opinion is what will help make the rest of this WOE work. If you do cheat yourself and go off plan then you have to start back all over again ridding your body of the cravings.

Is it worth it?
Will you be able to get on track?
Is it in your best interest?
Will it protect your health?
Will it help you reach your goal?

You have to decide if your health and weight loss is more important to you than a weekend of spluging on beers and "bad" food. Good luck in reaching you decision.

red
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 19:22
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Atkins recomends that while on vacation you do maintanance levels instead of induction. That way you don't feel deprived and go completely off plan.

Why not see if you can try this. Have bunless burgers, lite beer, veggies if you can find them and so on. Don't go completely over bored and end up with a tummy ache.

Or you could wait to start induction until after your trip.

Anotyher option is instead of starting with induction, start by just cutting back oncarbs such as flours and sugars until after your trip, then go on induciton. Kind of get warmed up to make the withdrawls of induciton much easier.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 23:07
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I would be very careful if I were you. Do you like wine? In the beginning (not Induction) I often had wine spritzers so I could nurse a small amount of alcohol for a long time. You can also have low-carb beer (or at least light). These carbs will add up quickly.

If you also eat high carb, you will be knocked out of ketosis. It will take you roughly 3 days to get back into ketosis and lose the water weight you will gain by indulging in more carbs. No one can predict whether you will have any "real" weight gain or not.

It's definitely a set back, but not the end of the world.

However, there will be many temptations like this on your journey. It's is possible to stay low carb and still have fun (and not be too deprived) if you choose to do so.

Are you eating out, or is someone preparing food? You can usually find something LC even on a pub type menu. Like chicken wings and caesar salad. Or dry ribs. Burger with no bun, salad instead of fries. Pepperonis and nuts, cheese sticks, etc, can help compensate if the food sucks. Bring at Atkins shake for your breakfast, some SF chocolate if you're worried about sweets. This is not an ideal menu, but better than overindulging in carbs, in my view.

In any case, try to make the best choices you can. No reason to treat it as a free for all.
Good luck!

Last edited by Kaillean : Wed, Jan-21-04 at 23:09.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 13:12

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

I agree with Ladybelle. Stay as close as you can without going crazy, and hold off on induction until you get back.