Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 23:22

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%
Progress: 36%
Unhappy Struggling

I have really been struggling to maintain the LC WOL for the past couple of weeks. I totally blew it at the wedding and for about a week afterwards, and had to go back to induction. I don't know if I have gained any weight back, but I weigh in tomorrow.

The hardest part is I really have lost some of the edge I had for the past nine months. I don't know if I WANT to lose any more weight. my knees don't hurt, my husband is perfectly happy with my body, and sometimes I wonder if it is worth it. but then I think, I did NOT lose 65 pounds for nothing, and I WILL continue and lose the rest.

I guess what I need is a good hard kick in the ass.

Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations to someone.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 23:51
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Like
Stats: 266.5/231/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:50.06%/42.96%/25%
Progress: 33%

Right now I weigh the same as I did for 30 years - I had to sit down and have a talk with myself to contine. I was using the above as an excuse for not going on to goal! I do know if I stop now I will gain it all back, as a matter of fact, we know we cannot stop anyway or we will gain. I know I will be healthier at a lighter weight than I am now -- by the way -- I am lighter now than when I got married 17 years ago. If your DH likes your body now - just think how much more he will like it when you loose more weight.

Ellen-mom you just climb back on the LC wagon and keep going - you know that is the best choice.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 03:59
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Your DH married you for you. He married you for WHO you are not HOW you are.

But it is possible that you would be more comfortable in social situations at your child's school, church, wherever at a smaller size.

It is probable that you would gain greater health and better be able to enjoy your family at a smaller size.

The choice is up to you: long-term good health or that temporary rush you get from high carb food.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 06:34
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Ellen-mom, I think you answered your own question -- it's not just the weight left to lose but if you lose focus, the weight you have already lost is in jeopardy.

Sometimes it's harder to keep going after a break than it was to start, especially when people around you are saying -- "oh you don't have much more to lose" and "You look great now". But we all know there are still benefits to be gained.

Take a look at the Raindrops on roses... thread. I started it awhile ago to give myself and others reasons to keep going and you might want to think about the ones you have and add them.

And if it's a kick in the butt (or head) that you need, here's one of those too!!

Have a great day!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 06:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

i think a valuable lesson is learned here. enjoy the wedding, enjoy the week after, but have the courage to go right back to your healthy lifestyle. i ate a few meals over the holidays that probably weren't exactly on plan....but i enjoyed it and that was that. i faced the same dilemma you did about getting back on track. i had gained 2-3 pounds and wondered if it was really worth it all....and i knew the answer....get back on track, get things under control and move forward. i have the 2 lbs gone, i feel good, i know that i can enjoy a meal or two and get right back on plan. you can do it, too! i got my motivation to hang in there from reading lots of different posts right here....go read some of the amazing stories on here....it will help you get re-focused!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 06:44

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%

I empathise. I have not gone off plan, but have been struggling over the past few days NOT to... I have found it a challenge to not give into temptation.

I guess the thing to keep in mind here is the number of times you have lost weight, and gained it back when you lose the focus... I don't know if you are like me, but the yo yo is a cycle that has to end. If you are happy to stay the weight you are now, fine, but go onto LC maintenance or you will end up where you started I expect.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 06:44

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

yes... it's the lost focus thats the problem. Be very careful that you dont gain any of your lost weight back or you might end up heavier than you were to begin with...very scarey though right?!

Would it help you to have a bunch of pics taken or like me I stand in front of a mirror w/o clothes... Every once in a while I eat something really really off plan then resolve to get right back on to induction and stay there for a while. I hope you can get remotivated becuase if you lost 65 pounds I am sure you can lose 65 more and the quality of your life would be that much better! My husband always loved me and thought I was beautiful but I can tell you he is pretty excited about my improved healthy and flexibility too
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 07:30
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Quote:

The hardest part is I really have lost some of the edge I had for the past nine months. I don't know if I WANT to lose any more
WARNING: Male opinion ahead (or otherwise known as a kick in the ass)

I'm sure your husband married you for who you are and he loves you. But did you kind of make an implied promise to continue losing weight for the nine months leading up to the wedding? Was that the person your husband thought he was marrying? And now that you are married you are sort of changing into a different person. You are changing the promise you spoke of so often, and loudly, for the last nine months.

If your husband took up drinking tonight, starting going to bars and quit his job, would he then be a different person than you thought he was before you married him? Would you like the new and changed husband? Humm, just wondering....

Women so often speak of wanting men to love them for who they are, but how can we if you keep changing into other people.

In addition, this now gives your husband one freebie on taking back a promise he made during the last nine months simply because he no longer feels like following through.

Last edited by mudknife : Wed, Jan-21-04 at 07:39.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:06

Stats: 240/175/120 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudknife
WARNING: Male opinion ahead (or otherwise known as a kick in the ass)

I'm sure your husband married you for who you are and he loves you. But did you kind of make an implied promise to continue losing weight for the nine months leading up to the wedding? Was that the person your husband thought he was marrying? And now that you are married you are sort of changing into a different person. You are changing the promise you spoke of so often, and loudly, for the last nine months.

If your husband took up drinking tonight, starting going to bars and quit his job, would he then be a different person than you thought he was before you married him? Would you like the new and changed husband? Humm, just wondering....

Women so often speak of wanting men to love them for who they are, but how can we if you keep changing into other people.

In addition, this now gives your husband one freebie on taking back a promise he made during the last nine months simply because he no longer feels like following through.

I agree.

And i shall say why.

I met my dear boyfriend and he is truly an angel - when i was very very very slim.

I gained alot weight over about 3 years.

Now he would never mention this to me - but when I asked him what he thought deep down - he said he preferred me slim - because i was happier slim.

and he also said he would never say it because - how could he help someone when - the help had to come within me - that he didnt want me slimming for him - it had to be for myself?

And he was right - he cant lose weight for me.

I think its important to be attractive to a partner. Attractive being subjective of course - a slim body may not be the main attraction - but prehaps confidence is.

I would sincerely ask him - and ask him to be 110% honest about it - what he feels.

Then remember - you can only lose weight for yourself not him.

Use him & his love as inspiration.

xxx
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:23
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItaliaGirl:

I agree.

And i shall say why.

I met my dear boyfriend and he is truly an angel - when i was very very very slim.

I gained alot weight over about 3 years.

Now he would never mention this to me - but when I asked him what he thought deep down - he said he preferred me slim - because i was happier slim.

and he also said he would never say it because - how could he help someone when - the help had to come within me - that he didnt want me slimming for him - it had to be for myself?

And he was right - he cant lose weight for me.

I think its important to be attractive to a partner. Attractive being subjective of course - a slim body may not be the main attraction - but prehaps confidence is.

I would sincerely ask him - and ask him to be 110% honest about it - what he feels.

Then remember - you can only lose weight for yourself not him.

Use him & his love as inspiration.

xxx

I agree with what you say, but in the context of Ellen-Mom's post, I was just pointing out the fact that she seems to be making a conscious decision to stop this wol. I think that is different than having health problems, gaining because of medication, or even unknowingly having an addiction problem to sugar.

I think it changes once we are educated to the benefits of this woe and then knowingly give it up.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: Custom
Stats: 410/253/240 Male 72
BF:Wow/30%/???
Progress: 92%

I think you might be bored with what you're eating.

Try another kind of diet for awhile. I switch diets every 3 weeks or so, so I get a large variety of foods. Anything gets stale after awhile. You can try a less restrictive LC plan like CAD, or Somercising, or actually do what I do which is go on a low fat/low calorie for a week or so just to shake things up.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 11:37

Plan: Atkins/induction
Stats: 329/293.5/200 Female 5 feet 2.5inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Ellen-Mom My question is how do you feel physically? I know when I went off in December I felt horrible. I could not breath as well I was slower and I only gained 10 pounds which I lost quickly once I returned to this WOE. I felt bad inside too because I was failing myself. I NEVER want to regain the weight ~ 57 your years don't seem as long as they did ~ 37 and life and health are presious. Now I know I am not on deaths doorstep NOW but I was very close Think about the future What do you want in one year Five years ten? What you do today counts toward tommorrow.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 13:43

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%
Progress: 36%

Thanks guys. I am sitting here in tears. You guys are so great and supportive!!! I went in for my “Official” weigh in, which I do the 21st or 22nd of every month, and I had only gained back one pound, so I am at 292, but I lost 9 inches this month. I don’t know if it is because the elevator at work is out of commission, or because I have been faithful about going to Curves, even though I haven’t been so good on my diet, or a combination of all of it, but I really do feel better today.

I talked to my husband, and he thinks I am bored with the food on the plan. Plus, I have been making rice or potatoes for he and AJ to eat with their meals, and it is too easy to add a helping to my plate. So I am going to start tonight, and make a completely Low-Carb supper. I have a roast in the crock pot, and when I get home, I am making Cauliflower mashed potatoes, and flour-free gravy, and I start over tonight. It is also nice to have support at home. I have never really had that before.

DH says that while he does not care one way or the other whether I lose weight just to be skinny, he would kind of like me to live a long and healthy life, and he doesn’t think 292 pounds is quite enough for that. He would like to see me at least reach 200.

PLUS, I counted up all of the inches I lost, and I have lost 49.25 inches al together. That means I have lost more than 4 feet. We got out the tape measure and cut a piece of ribbon 49.25 inches long and placed it up against the wall. It is JUST longer than my son is tall. So now, whenever I look at my son, I think, I lost that many inches since last March.

So, here I go again. Plus, now that I have Internet at home, (yay!!) I can log on and read success stories whenever I am feeling down.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 13:48
Registered Member

Stats: 311/295.5/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 10%

OH WHAT A GREAT IDEA! I think I'm going to measure ribbon each month and hang them in my room as a reminder of the hard work I've done! Its cheap and a VERY visual reminder of what I have accomplished. THANKS! and best wishes Ellen-Mom you WILL win!