Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%
Default ketosis testing strips

Do you really need ketosis testing strips? i have been doing this WOE for 4 months now and have not used them but now my loss is stalling. should i buy some?
I also found some on Ebay for $4 a bottle would you trust them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:44

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

I wouldn't trust ones on ebay unless it's a sealed bottle and still within it's expiration date. Otherwise they'll give you false readings.

The ketosis stix won't help unless you're eating below about 40-50 gm of carb because you won't be low enough to register ketosis.

I found them motivational during induction but I'm not using them much now. Maybe the stall is just a plateau you're at and the weight loss will start again soon.

Squid
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:52
Phoenixa

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Total waste of money, IMO.
I mean, what's the point? If you're "stalling" (how long have you been stuck, btw?) you won't feel better just because a darn test strip tells you you're in ketosis (or not.)

Last edited by gilibel : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 19:56.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:55
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I personally never used the sticks. Another reason to be wary of the sticks from eBay is that you don't know how they were stored. Too hot or too cold storage conditions can damage the sticks so they give inaccurate readings, or none at all.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:01

Plan: Atkins OWL 30g
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 66"
BF:?/18%/15%
Progress: 60%

I get a psychological boost from seeing that I'm in ketosis. That said, just because the stick doesn't turn pink or purple doesn't mean that you're not burning fat. I found that before I started drinking lots of water, I was regularly getting a dark purple shade and feeling very virtuous. Then, when I upped my water intake to 64+ oz per day, I noticed that the test sticks were much lighter in color, and sometimes did not turn color at all. Why? Because the more dilute your urine is, the less ketones will be present in that particular pee sample. Just because your stick reads a very faint shade of pink does not mean that you are any less in ketosis than if you register dark purple. The analogy would be a pregnancy test -- you are not "just a little pregnant" -- you either are or you aren't. In fact, if the stick regularly shows a dark purple, and esp. if you do not drink at least 64 oz of water a day, chances are you are dehydrated.

What I do now is I test every other day or so. I test first thing in the morning when my urine is at its strongest concentration. Even so, with all the water I've been drinking, I never get beyond a Mild to Moderate ketosis reading. If I drink water throughout the day and test later on, the strips barely register, if at all.

So, I don't think they are necessary, but if you are a person who likes concrete types of reassurance, the ketosis strips can give it to you provided you don't let the results make or break your day.

P.S. I don't think the strips are a waste of money. You can find them pretty cheap at any drugstore and they come about 100 to a bottle, enough to last you several months.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:08
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Thing is, you can be in ketosis and not lose a thing.

And you can get a blank reading on the stix because your body already burned the ketones for fuel (and you think you're not in ketosis).

Etc.

Therefore I do regard them as a total waste of money. Not only that, they are an immense source of frustration for people who turtle or have stalled.

I tried them too, during first weeks of induction, got mauve to purple readings and felt like a good Atkineer. But when that first package was used up, I didn't see the point in buying a new one just for the fun of weeing on my hand every day.

Losing weight and having dragon breath was enough evidence of ketosis for me.

Last edited by gilibel : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 20:09.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 22:05

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I use them as a boost too - not everyday though.

I had a package from Walmart pharmacy and then bought a package at half the price off of Ebay (this included Shipping). I made sure the person had a good feedback rating and that the strips said NEW and had a long expiration date.
When I received them, I used both the Walmart and Ebay purchases strips and my Ebay strips worked GREAT and I am still using them.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 22:16

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I bought a bottle when I started and used them during induction but now they are just sitting on a shelf. The only time I ever use them now is if I think I've eaten too many carbs or if I've done a little cheat, but even then they don't prove anything.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 22:23
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%
Talking

I use them once a week just to make sure I'm on track. And they are definately a real morale booster.

I wouldnt buy them on ebay b/c you dont know if they are opened. I've bought them on vitaglo.com really cheap, they also have other low carb products and free shipping too.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:22

Plan: LC/Shangri-La
Stats: 157.5/141/120 Female 5 ft. 1 in.
BF:?
Progress: 44%

My friend gave me a few of hers to use. I have never registered positive for ketosis, but my breath tells me otherwise !!!!!!!
pati