Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 21:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/226/200 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 68%
Question Quick Question... Reasonable goal to loose per week?

What is a resonable goal to loose per week?

Being that I am roughly 262 would 4 lbs / Week be out of the question? I am browsed through a lot of posts, and people can achive this from what I have seen. I would like to stay rather strick w/the carbs so It would help me do this.
I wouldnt be so concerned w/how much I loose per week If I didnt have a really really really important physical in 5 months. I am doing my best to get cardio and lifting in 4-5 times /week as well as you can see in my journal (click on my signature if interested).

Thanks Guys...

Last edited by burm : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 21:17.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 21:22
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

You started off wanting to lose 75 pounds. Usually you lose around 10% of what you need to lose in induction and then 5% a month after that. So, I would guess that about 2 pounds a week would be a little more reasonable than 4. You have to remember that the closer you get to your goal weight, the slower it comes off.

Also, muscle building will cause your scale to either go up temporarily or stay at a weight longer-BUT you will lose inches. Please measure some places as well as weigh. I either lost weight OR inches, but not usually both at the same time.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 21:23

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi John

I think given you weight and that you are a man, that is a realistic goal for quite sometime (assuming all other things are equal). I lost about 5 lbs a week on induction, I am a woman and I had metabolic resistance due to my thyroid (although I didn't know it) and I am perimenopausal which doesn't help matters (I know - too much information! but Atkins says it is important).

I bet you can expect 4 lbs a week for awhile

Good luck to ya (and Atkins skill too
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 21:29
Registered Member

BF:

First mini goal 252 for 3/1/03

Why not right ? I am not one to get down on myself for not hitting a goal but making it a lower number that it might be may help me strive to workout harder...

Last edited by burm : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 21:31.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 07:15
Registered Member

BF:

Dropped two this morning..
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 07:20
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Like stated it's a percentage thing. The closer you are to your goal, the slower weight loss will be. This is a good thing as slower loss means less stretch marks and loose baggy skin. Atkins also states the slower you lose those last 5-10 pounds, the more likely they are to stay off. (I think mine will take a lifetime to lose :P )

Rememebr too weight loss isn't a steady thing. For most people it comes in little clumps with some weeks having no loss, while others have quite a bit. There can even be times when you gain temperarly. That is one reason I loved the weight chart on fitday. When the scale wasn't moving I could still see my average weight loss was doing well. You could also sign up at www.mybodycomp.com where you can track weight, measurements, and body fat so you can compair where your at to where you were for motivation. That can really help when you are body building and working on bulking up some areas.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 21:12
Registered Member

BF:

I am not to sure how to measure myself, I gotta look that up. That www.mybodycomp.com place looks neat. Does it allow you to export your data? like to excel or something?