Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 17:39
Carb Nazi

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%
Default Back And As Mad As Ever!

Hi Folks:

As some of you know, I started the Atkins Diet on July 28th, 2003. By December 23rd I had lost 38 pounds (going from 239 to 201) and went from a waist size of 46 to 38. I was also very active on this forum during that time and don't believe I could have had that success without it.
I took off two weeks from work during the holidays (Dec 23 - Jan 4) and made the conscious decision to take off from the diet as well. I had been "stuck" between 203 and 201 for several weeks and didn't want to go through the holidays worrying about the diet. For those two weeks I ate exactly what I wanted. All the things I had missed during the previous 5 months, I enjoyed. Pizza, Mexican Food, Margaritas, Cheeseburgers, French Fries, Biscuits, Pancakes, Waffles, and more. One thing I found out though was that some of the good habits I had learned through the diet stuck with me. I still drank diet drinks for the most part, my portions were smaller (I used to be able to eat a large pizza by myself, but during this 3 slices would make me stuffed), and I really never had any candy or ice cream... I just didn't really want it. By the end I felt kind of bloated and lazy and very scared I wouldn't be able to get back into the swing of things.
So on January 5th I got on the scales for the first time in 2 weeks and I gained
6 pounds, back to 207. I was somewhat relieved... I expected to have gained 10 pounds or more.
I wanted to get back on the forum immediately and tell everyone what I had done, but I was still apprehensive about future success. I was also kind of depressed that I had set myself back and didn't want to get on here and bitch and moan. So, I promised myself I wouldn't come back on until I had lost the weight that I had gained and was back on track.
That time is now! After two weeks, back on the induction phase, I not only lost the 6 pounds I had gained, but one more pound. I am down to 200 even and am eagerly awaiting hundred-ville for the first time in 20 years. More importantly, I am right back where I was mentally, and have a renewed appreciation for this diet and what it is doing for me. I got lots of new clothes for Christmas, all in my new size, and I will be damned if they are going to sit in the closet because I get too fat to wear them. On Thursday, Good Will is going to be coming by and I am giving them all of my fat clothes that I have been keeping in case I ever went back to that size. My wife told me to throw them out and I kept saying, "What if I can't do this and gain the weight back." Now I am convinced I CAN do this, lose the additional 30 lbs I need to lose, and stay that way for the rest of my life.
So, I AM BACK AND AS MAD AS EVER! Thanks for listening, and thanks for your support over the past several months. MADMIKE
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 18:00
Registered Member

Stats: 241/196/140 Female 64 in
BF:?????
Progress: 45%

Welcome back! Like you I am watching the scales for that long awaited number 1..... I hope you have quick success.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 18:03
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Welcome back!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 18:54

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Welcome back! Missed your posts.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:02

Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hey Mad,
You've been missed. Glad you're back! And thanks for sharing your great story with us. I can't wait to see your 100's post next!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:07
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Welcome back, and I am sure no one would have minded it you had come back a little bit heavier.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:09
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Excellent! Welcome home. I'm giving away my old clothes too, and I do know the temptation to keep them. Just tell yourself that if they're not there for you, you'll either have to watch what you're eating, or pay for them all over again.

Kay
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:24

Stats: 140.0/121.5/125 Female 5'3
BF:going down!
Progress: 123%

Mad,

Missed your posts... I too have not been online in a few. Guess I did the same thing, but just dont want to change my weight back up on this site. I too went off and ate what ever I wanted.. and now I am ready to get back on the good way of eatting again. I do not at all like feeling sluggish, lazy tired and just craving sugary carb filled foods 10 mins after I eat. Funny when I eat the low carb way, I have more energy, less lazy days.. and just so much happier! But best of all NO food cravings!
So I hear you, I am MadNoSunNoFun now too!
Congrats to you!!
and Thank-you for your post, I think you just helped me out.

Last edited by NoSunNoFun : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 19:26.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:31
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Hi Mike,

Welcome back! You could have been describing my experience. I, too, took the holidays off to a degree. We even gained the same amount of extra pounds. Like you, I'm down one extra, too, and hoping to see more go soon!

Feels great to be back in the swing of things, doesn't it?!

See ya around!

K.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:36
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Welcome back! Now I have someone to pick on!!!!

#11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:43

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Missed your humor. Sounds like confession time -- yeah, I messed up, too. Not really too badly but just enough to gain a bit and more importantly realize how truly crappy eating junk carbs makes me feel.

Let's go, guys! It's a new year and we can do it.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:53
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Welcome back Mike!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:55

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

Welcome back!!!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 21:23

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Welcome back. We are here for you.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 23:52
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

Mike,
It's good you're back here; I've missed your form of insanity.

Jude