Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 13:29

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Low carb milk?

Has anyone tried the low carb milk? How do they make that and how does it taste? Is it still dairy? Or is it just soy milk in a different bottle?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 13:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

It's a mix of soy milk and low fat milk, very creamy. My first bite (with Atkins cereal) tasted rather soy-ey (I used to drink soy milk exclusively, and liked it) but after that it settled into a real milk taste.
The only way you will know if it agrees with you is to try it, I haven't drunk real milk in 15 years.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 14:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The one I have been using doesn't have soy in it. It tastes just like milk! It's called Carb Countdown.

I just stopped using soy because I'm hearing bad things about it in relation to cancer risks and thyroid.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 14:55

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

It tastes a little sweet to me. I'm sure is ok with cereal, but I didn't care too much to drink it straight from the glass. The chocolate one was ok, but after the first taste it stayed in the refrigerator for weeks without me touching it, so I had to finally throw it away. I guess I'm not used to drinking milk anymore. I would get for cereal.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 14:57
13.5 pounds to go!

Plan: GF, Mod. Carb
Stats: 375.5/163/160 Female 66"
BF:60/28/24
Progress: 99%

I was under the impression that Carb Countdown milk was regular milk, with the lactose yanked out, and then splenda stuffed in

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 15:22
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The carb countdown is a mix of butter milk, regular milk, sweetners and so on. It doesn't have soy, but does taste a little like powder milk until you are used to it. It still does have lactose.

The soy slender is a splenda sweetened soy milk that tastes more like regular milk then soy. It has 1 net carb and I love the stuff
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 16:57
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Yay for carb countdown!!!

It's not perfect.. and tastes strange until you get used to it. The homo milk tastes best, but they're all great in tea, or shakes, or heated.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:05

Stats: 240/234/150 Female Five Feet
BF:40%
Progress: 7%

I love Carb Countdown. It is one of the regulars on my grocery list now when I go to the grocery store. I don't like the chocolate, but love the homogenized in the white.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:43

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I love the choc. Carb Countdown milk, tastes like a milk shake. The yogurt is NAAAASTY though, I got it yesterday, BLECH!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:16

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Gee, I gotta check the label again, sorry about that. Maybe my taste buds are just projecting "soy" after all.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:26
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

You can make yogurt very easily with the low carb milk - there's a whole thread about it somewhere in the food section of the forums. Basically you just heat it until it's very warm - not boiling!! and not tooo hot, pour it into a large thermos, add a few tbs of say, dannone plain whole milk yog with active cultures and let it sit for 8-20 hours. After you can mix in stevia and vanilla or whatever... Or eat it plain. It's delicious.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 08:04

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

I use the Carb Countdown in cooking and for drinking. My daughter loves it as strawberry milk with Davinci strawberry syrup. We use the chocolate heated for hot choc. As for yogurt. I have never seen Carb Coundown yogurt in the stores but Blue Bunny makes a delicious 5 gram yogurt called Carb Freedom. It is splenda sweetened and comes in strawberry, vanilla, peach, and raspberry. You would never know it was lc.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 11:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hey! I never thought about making yogurt out of it. Good stuff! Making it in a thermos. Wow, clever stuff. Do you put the top on the thermos? Or would the bacterial activity blow it off?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 15:20
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I never got any yogurts to work using the thermos method. What I did was bought a small yogurt maker from www.amazon.com It was under $15 and saves me a ton of money by being able to make my own. I also feel homade yogurt without the addatives, sweetners and such is better for my kids as well The carb countdown really works well in yogurt. It started to thicken up on me right away and one time I almost had yogurt cheese.

Here is the one I got. It looks like the sell on it is over, but it's still under $20

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...itchen&n=284507

I would recomend if you can to buy a glass mason jar with a wide mouth to use in it. That way you can have a tight fitting lid and also be able tot store in glas sinstead of plastic. It's the wrong time of year for canning so I just use the plastic container that comes with the maker and have no problem. I am just very careful nto to tip it or drop it
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 16:49

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I buy the 2% Carb Countdown. I had it with Atkins cereal and it was so awesome. It is a great before workout snack. DH has never been a cereal eater and he had bowl for a snack the other night. I also use it in my coffee in the morning. I also like the fact that it has more protein and calcium than regular milk.

Wee