Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/250/150 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress:
Talking Just started yesterday

[FONT=Arial]I am 24 and weigh 244lbs. I just started the diet yesterday. Did everyone have to listen to everyone, who is not on the diet, tell you how to the diet? Where I work I have had this woman tell me all day yesterday and then again today. "The point of a diet is to reduce you portions. You should not be eatting that." I am so sick of her already. Any suggestions on what I should tell her?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:19

Stats: 270/232/140 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 29%

My suggestion, from personal experience, is to kindly thank them for their advice but insist that you know how to do the diet, and that their advice is not needed. Or, if you have the energy, you can explain how the diet really works and what "the point" is. It drives me crazy listening to people tell me I am going to die of a heart attack and how they don't understand getting thin on a diet that has you eat bacon and pork rinds all day. I just nod, ignore them, and go on with my business usually. Unless I'm feeling feisty! Gotta love a good argument. LOL Good luck with things and good luck with your LC diet! I just started up again yesterday also. I was on Atkins a couple years back and went from 270lbs down to 210. Unfortunately, I went back up to 250 last year and am working to get rid of it again. LC really worked for me and I loved it!

-Michelle
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:21

Stats: 198/181/130 Female 1.63
BF:
Progress: 25%

tell her to read the book, because you already did it, and you think different, thank you very much
dont you think?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:38
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Uh...how about "mind your own business."

Sorry - I don't take kindly to people telling me what to do, especially if they don't know what they're talking about.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:40
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

TG, I've been blessed with a surrounding who've shut up and let me mind my business... Actually, the only words coming from my friends have been curiousity driven and genuinely interested questions. Then, on the other hand, over here the media isn't fully in LC-bashing-bloom just yet (just waiting for it though... )

I'd tell that woman to lay off and not comment any more until she's read the book herself. Or give her the link to the atkins.com site. Tell her you'll be glad to assist her with any questions she has about this WOE after she's read up on it.

/gil

Last edited by gilibel : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 12:42.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:48

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Along with telling her that you have read the book, I would also tell her about a great support forum that you found that has 100's of people that have lost 1000's of lbs and cured some serious health problems by eating this way and they know what they are talking about through experience!

Wee
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 13:03

Stats: 214.9/187/150 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Seems to me that the best thing is not to say we are on a "diet" at all. That way noone will have anything to say. However, if the cat is out of the bag, I agree with those that say to let her know that there is a book, you have read it and are following it. You might tell her where you picked it up, so that she can check it out herself.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 16:40

Stats: 240.2/227.4/164 Female 69 inches
BF:mini goal 225
Progress: 17%

I agree with beadworker....not saying anything is the best. Nobody even notices what I'm eating, anyway.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 16:48

Plan: SouthBeach and swiched to Atkins
Stats: 190/179/140 Female 65''
BF:
Progress:
Wink

I plan on keeping my diet to myself, because most people do think it's a dangerous diet, simply because they are ignorant. They haven't read the book, and don't realize how fat with carbs is not good and fat without alot of carbs is good.

Last edited by Lilybear : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 16:53.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 18:13

Stats: 197.5/195.5/145 Female 5' 1"
BF:37.3%/?/?
Progress: 4%

I plan on not telling a lot of people what my "new" way of eating is, that way, people won't even pay attention to what I'm eating. I think if I told them, they would make comments.

I hope they stop bugging you.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 13:39

Stats: 250/250/150 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress:

Thank you all for the advice. Good News. I got a new position at work and I will no longer have to listen to miss atkins know it all.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 14:10
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
Congrats to you!