Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 16:34
wrkn off da baby fat

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default No eating after 6pm challenge

Well a thread was started on the Atkins forum regarding not eating after 6pm by vickycopsy in order to enhance our weight loss. Some people suggested that a challenge needed to be created for all of us interested in persuing this.

I have attached some of the supportive information that was mentioned in the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Here's an article by Jonny Bowden, MA, CNA. He's the Weight Loss Coach at iVillage.com; author of Jonny Bowden's Shape Up! and a soon-to-be published Living the Low Carb Life.
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Timing of Meals for Weight Loss

Question: I've heard that if you want to lose weight you should refrain from eating after 8pm. I've also heard that it doesn't matter when you eat, as long as the total number of calories does not exceed your daily requirement. Which is correct?

The health professionals who told you it doesn't matter when you eat believe that all that counts in weight management is calories. These folks believe that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie -- that it doesn't much matter where that calorie comes from or when it's eaten as long as the total amount taken in is less than the amount you're burning up.

In my opinion, that view is extremely dated. It misses a big part of the picture and doesn't stand up to clinical experience.

For one thing, the "calories are all" theory completely ignores the fact that what you eat -- the composition of your meals -- has a profound effect on hormones that your body releases, namely insulin and glucagon. The balance between these hormones is crucial to weight-loss success. High-carbohydrate meals stimulate more insulin than balanced, or low-carbohydrate, meals. Timing also seems to make a difference. In one study, for example, all participants ate the exact same 2,000-calorie meal once a day. One group ate in the morning and the other at night. The group who ate at night gained weight, while the morning group did not. If calories were the only thing that counted, it shouldn't have mattered when they ate them.

A large meal before you go to bed -- especially one high in carbs -- stimulates insulin, which in turn stimulates fat storage and definitely prevents "fat burning." A tried and true strategy in weight management is to cease eating as early in the evening as is both possible and practical -- a strategy that works quite well for most people. If you just can't go to bed on an empty stomach, stick with a small snack that has protein and some fat but is low in carbs; eat just enough so that you're not too hungry to sleep.

Better yet, try not eating after 7 or 8 and see what happens.

http://www.ivillage.com/diet/expert...5_29912,00.html

It would be cool for us to have an icon or symbol but I know that's not my forte.

Good luck all!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 17:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 47%

Im with you, I am one of the ones who responded that this hasnt helped. I have not been eating after 6:00 for a few weeks unless an emergency happened to where I couldnt eat on time. I havent seen much difference but I am willing to stick with you and give it a try.

Should we post our starting weights and how long should the challenge go. It is 5 after 6 so I gotta go run and eat.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 17:09
Living Healthy

Stats: 281.4/239.4/145 Female 5'4"
BF:imp/rov/ing
Progress: 31%

I started this after seeing the other thread. I'm willing to give it a month just to see what happens.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 17:22
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

Good luck! This is one I'll have to pass on, though--my DH doesn't often get home before 7:30-8:00; in fact, 3x a week I don't either!

Jude
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 17:42
wrkn off da baby fat

Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Starting weights are a good idea....and maybe initially try this for 30 days?

My starting weight today is 208.5
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 18:36

BF:

sophotia....208.5
sheila.....176.5
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 18:54

Plan: NK-LCHF
Stats: 158.2/155.2/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

ok folks I am in ....been stuck at this 164 for forever...am willing to try something different.

so 1/19/04
sophotia....208.5
sheila........176.5
Bu............164
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 20:53

Plan: Atkins/M&E/HCG
Stats: 233/186/160 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 64%

Can I join in if my time needs to be 7pm? I can't do 6pm, don't get home from work in time. But for the last several days I've been shooting for not eating after 7pm. It always help when you accountable to someone.

Let me know.

Deana
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 20:57

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

I am in on this one. This is my fourth evening (my cut off is 6:30 due to time conflicts).
Start 200
Day 1 199
Day 2 195.5
Day 3 195

Good success to everyone!

Last edited by judyr : Mon, Jan-19-04 at 21:01.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 21:14

BF:

Hi Judy,
Wow, you lost 3.5 in the first day. Are you drinking water after 6:30 or just not doing the eating? Seems to me if I drink too much water then I dont lose. I dont know if it is that or soemthing else tho. I try to get in 20glasses a day.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:44

BF:

Tonight is going to be hard. My DD has an academic meet and we are not supposed to be back until late. I am gonna take me some Tuna Salad and hope it holds me over til tomorrow. The kids will have to eat after the meet so that way I wont be tempted with things I am not allowed.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 17:35

Stats: 201/165.8/145 Female 5'9 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm in!

I lost 2 pounds last night (didn't eat after 6) so I'm up for the challenge to see if it totally agrees with me.

Tasha
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 18:46

Stats: 300/217/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 83%

guys, the time you stop eating really isnt important - its how LONG after your last food intake that you sleep. If you eat last at 8pm but dont sleep till midnight you will see the same effect.

Also, for many of you complaining of stalling, you need to use www.fitday.com and see how many total calories you are taking in. I've had to drop mine to around 2000-2300 to continue loss and I work out daily. The rule of thumb that bodybuilders use is 10x your bodyweight in calories for safe, consistent loss and getting at least 1g/lb protein. This rule isnt for everyone but if you exercise reguarly I guarantee it will work!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:53
Registered Member

Stats: 280/226/200 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 68%

Im in for the chalange

I am going to not eat after about 7pm though because I go to sleep around 12pm. So that should give me enough time, right?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 21:30

BF:

I didnt make it tonight. I didnt get to eat until about 8:30. I had planned on fixing me some tuna salad to take with me to my dd academic meet but I didnt have time. I had to get my horses fed before I left and one ofthem gave me problems and didnt want to go up so I ran out of time. DD got out of the academic meet later than they expected. Tomorrow is another day and I am going to church but I always eat before I go there.