Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 12:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default New Low-Carb Print Magazine Coming

All Press Releases for January 19, 2004

High Time for Low Carb: Low Carb Energy, a New National Print Magazine, to Debut in May 2004

The trend toward eating fewer carbohydrates is growing everywhere -- except on waistlines. Debuting this May, new print publication Low Carb Energy magazine will motivate readers to embrace and continue a healthy low-carbohydrate way of life.

link to article

KIMBERLY, WI (PRWEB) January 19, 2004 -- It's touted by everyone from Hollywood stars to at-home moms. It is the subject at the top of every bestselling books list. It's a regular headliner for every major newspaper and television network. America's top brands -- from Michelob beer to Skippy peanut butter, Burger King to TGI Fridays -- are catering to its fans. It has an estimated 35 million followers in the U.S. alone.

So what is "it"? The low-carb lifestyle.

Whether guided by Atkins, the South Beach Diet, The Zone, Protein Power or any of the other popular low-carb diets, the trend toward eating fewer carbohydrates is growing everywhere -- except on waistlines.

"With so many new low-carb products out now, there's really never been a better time to adopt this healthful way of eating," says Kyle Cox, Publisher of Coincide Publishing LLC, whose Low Carb Energy magazine explodes onto newsstands nationwide this May.

Every other month, Low Carb Energy magazine will motivate readers to embrace and continue a healthy low-carbohydrate way of life. The magazine will offer general and nutrition information, recipes, wellness and fitness features, weight loss information, personal support, tips and other resources to women and men participating in one of the world's most popular new lifestyles. Drawing on advice from health professionals, fitness gurus, researchers, nutritionists, chefs and other experts, the magazine will help its readers navigate the exponentially growing maze of information and products, as well as provide motivation who aspire to lower-carb health.

The magazine is well-timed. In addition to the hundreds of new low-carbohydrate products hitting the market, the Natural Marketing Institute's Health and Wellness Trends Report 2003 said that almost two-thirds of the U.S. population consumed low-carbohydrate and high-protein foods in 2002. In addition, a recent Morgan Stanley survey confirmed the popularity of low-carb products.

"Even a few months before our our official launch, people are already buzzing about this title," says Editor-in-Chief Vanessa Sands. Demand has been so overwhelming, the publisher was asked to bring the original release date up by four weeks. "The debut issue of Low Carb Energy magazine will reach more than 200,000 men and women who want more than just recipes," says Sands. "They're hungry for truly useful information about everything to do with living low-carb."

Also offered by Coincide Publishing is the companion Web site, http://LowCarbEnergyMagazine.com, a growing online resource offering current information and interactive features that complement the magazine's offerings. There, readers can immediately download a free 20-page sample issue.

Subscriptions are already available, and the publication will be distributed in more than 2300 Safeway and Albertsons grocery stores. Low Carb Energy magazine is also currently being promoted to over half a million visitors a month on the SheKnows.com Internet network (http://SheKnows.com).

Coincide Publishing, LLC, is a dynamic publishing company specializing in the production of consumer magazines. Under the leadership of experienced management, Coincide has a combined print, editorial, publishing and magazine circulation experience of more than 85 years. Find out more online at http://CoincidePublishing.com.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 13:21
Registered Member

Stats: 212/175/159 Male 66 inches
BF:33/23/14
Progress: 70%

This looks like a very good mag. I downloaded the 20 page sample and it is a publication I would buy. It seems to be heavily Atkins oriented, which suits me better than a "low carb recipe" mag I bought recently which contained carb counts of 15-20 per serving.

Mag has sections on science, media, recipes and exercise.

Johnie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 19:22
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Sounds good. I would buy it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 21:01

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

On the web site they have a link to a low carb chocolate torte recipe. Was pretty excited until I read the recipe. Calls for regular chocolate, SUGAR, and a semi-sweet chocolate sauce.

Crap, I can make a better low carb version of a chocolate torte then that. In fact, I have an awesome one that has no added sugar, and it is not even a low carb recipe!

brobin
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 23:51

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Brobin, seeing the quality of the mag overall, I was too, and sent off a message to the editors about this. Got an immediate reply:

Hi Val!
Thanks for contacting us about our new magazine! I can understand your concern seeing a bunch of sugar in a recipe in a low-carb magazine. But I wanted to clear something up - the recipe for the Flourless Chocolate Torte serves 12. Also in the article on the same page - "Chocolate-- yes, chocolate" the creator of the recipe, Gerado Leal, says the sugar in the recipe can be left out altogether, though the torte might not hold its shape and might not rise well. He also said a sugar substitute can be used in the recipe.

Thanks for reading so closely! We are sure you will enjoy the first issue when it debuts in May!

My best,
Jennifer Newton Reents
Editorial Director
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 23:17
Registered Member

Plan: combo of different plans
Stats: 208/199/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

I bought Low Carb Living magazine today. It is fantastic! I also bought 3 copies for fellow coworkers who are lowcarbing because we are all supporting each other and I didn't want them to miss out on the premiere issue.

This magazine is very high quality, great articles, and will definitely sell out. I bought mine at Borders bookstore here in California.

I'm buying my subscription tomorrow.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 07:40

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I thought this magazine wasn't being released until May?

L
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 08:28
Lurking LowCarber

Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycelyn
I bought Low Carb Living magazine today.
Lo Carb Living is an online magazine. LowCarb Living is a newstand magazine. Neither of these is the same as Low Carb Energy. There's also another magazine to which I've been subscribing (as it was the only one out) called CarbHealth. It's so nice to have choices now!!

Speaking of subscribing, I've already subscribed to Low Carb Energy, and now that I've found LowCarb Living, I might give that one a whirl as well. Thanks for making me do my research!!

Last edited by ellemenno : Sat, Jan-24-04 at 08:30.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 14:51
Registered Member

Plan: combo of different plans
Stats: 208/199/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

..sorry, it WAS Low Carb ENERGY that I bought off the newstand, and it is an excellent magazine.

I also subscribe to Carb Health magazine, which is also excellent. This is by subscription only and not found on newsstands.

Thanks for the correction, so as not to confuse people!! These titles are similar AND confusing!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 15:46
Lurking LowCarber

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycelyn
..sorry, it WAS Low Carb ENERGY that I bought off the newstand, and it is an excellent magazine.

Quote:
Note: The first bimonthly issue will be out on May 4, 2004, but subscribe now and get a FREE downloadable preview mini-copy of Low Carb Energy!

LowCarb Living, on the other hand, premiered January 15th.

I'm so confused.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 11:45
Lurking LowCarber

BF:

I just received the premier issue of Low Carb Energy this week in my mail. So far, from first glance at least, it appears to be much better than LowCarb Living. Some of the ads are a little bothersome to me, since people may not be likely to read ingredients lists knowing the product was advertised in a low carb magazine, but so far that's my only true dislike.

I'm sure I'll have more to say after I actually read the magazine when I'm on the plane next week.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 12:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
Brobin, seeing the quality of the mag overall, I was too, and sent off a message to the editors about this. Got an immediate reply:
Quote:
Hi Val!
Thanks for contacting us about our new magazine! I can understand your concern seeing a bunch of sugar in a recipe in a low-carb magazine. But I wanted to clear something up - the recipe for the Flourless Chocolate Torte serves 12. Also in the article on the same page - "Chocolate-- yes, chocolate" the creator of the recipe, Gerado Leal, says the sugar in the recipe can be left out altogether, though the torte might not hold its shape and might not rise well. He also said a sugar substitute can be used in the recipe.

Thanks for reading so closely! We are sure you will enjoy the first issue when it debuts in May!

My best,
Jennifer Newton Reents
Editorial Director

Great, so now we'll deal with many members stalling and eating sugar, based on a low-carb magazine recipe, not knowing what's wrong, unless they ask the author (or read another article) to know they should not have followed the "low-carb" recipe from their "low-carb magazine? Or that they may substitute the sugar, if they want to?

They either don't know what low-carb is, or they don't care.

Wa'il
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 12:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian

Wa'il

Or, they are trying to appeal to the widest possible market .. those following published low carb programs and those who only want to "cut down".

Doreen
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 12:47
Lurking LowCarber

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian

More likely than not, it's both.

I just glanced quickly through the recipes in LowCarb Energy, and was very impressed with the lists of ingredients. On the other hand, I wasn't impressed with LowCarb Living at all. I'm hoping LowCarb Energy is more informative (and more factual!). They just need to lose those ads!!

On another note, this magazine (LowCarb Energy) basically took over for CarbHealth, which no longer exists. Vol. 1, Issue 1 for LowCarb Energy is the July 2004 issue.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 13:11
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Or, they are trying to appeal to the widest possible market .. those following published low carb programs and those who only want to "cut down".

But the first thing one would want to cut down on (if they low-carb, or want to) would be sugar. Having sugar-laden recipes touted as low-carb, will only result in confusion, and bad results. Then we'll read all about how low-carb raises blood sugar levels!

Wa'il