Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 08:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 211/201/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:37%
Progress: 15%
Angry Gaining Weight on Induction

Good Morning to All! Ok, last week I started atkins again and I seemed to have gained five lbs. I cheated Tuesday and went drinking Friday but only drank vodka and soda water. Hmmmm. I was feeling like I was losing but when I jumped on the scale I freaked. Not sure what I am doing wrong. My daily food is fried eggs and bacon and lunch is romaine lettuce w/parmesan cheese and maries ceasar dressing.. dinner friend brocolli with some kind of meat. Throughout the day I snack on cheese. Just don't know what to do... I am trying again...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 08:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/201/197 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 87%

Liza,

If you want to succeed in Atkins, you really need to succeed early on and from the beginning. The first three weeks are crucial.

My best advice for you is to give up 2-3 straight weekends where you don't party with friends and drink, and if you do go out, limit yourself to unsweetened ice teas or diet cokes. Remove the lemon if they put on in the glass.

For stubborn weight loss, remember that some people may take 2-3 days to get in to ketosis. So if you cheat every 3-4 days, you'll never really get in to it.

Also note, that mixing high fat, high sat fat foods with normal carb consumption, ie, over 15-20 grams, can cause weight gain, and other side effects like an increase in triglycerides and cholesterol. Over the holidays, I did some "cheating" and mixing and my cholesterol went up and my triglycerides went up 100 or more points (estimating).

Get rid of the cheese as a snack. Super high in calories and probably a stall point for you.

TomC
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 09:01
Registered Member

Tom C - Thanks for the advice and I know I need to just stop the partying... Ugh.. It is hard cause I don't want to go home and be bored. Give up the cheese.. OH No.. What would you suggest I snack on? The cheese I munch on are the mozzarella cheese stick and I usually just have one.. Hmm. I will have to see if you have a journal so I can get some pointers.. I really need help with my daily food plan..

Thanks again!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 09:08

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Remove the lemon if they put on in the glass.

Tom...while I agree with not drinking alcohol during induction, I'm curious why this recommendation since lemon juice is allowed during induction?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 09:09

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Have you read the Atkins book? Its very important to obey the rules of induction. Unlimited food is not in the rules. If you need to snack, the food is not satisfying you. Check for hidden carbs. Best wishes to you.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 09:10

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

I would give up the partying too for a couple of weeks. You can always go to a movie if you can't go out with friends and stay out of the alcohol. Alcohol is absorbed by the body and does raise blood sugar, but it's often allowed on low carb plans because it does so slowly. However, it may do so more quickly for you than most people and be affecting you.

Try eating harder cheeses like cheddar if you have to have cheese. Also, unless I misunderstand, your lunchtimesalad has no protein and only fat in the salad dressing. How about adding meat to that meal so you're balancing that carb intake with more protein and fat.

Squid
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 09:14

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Harb boiled eggs make a better snack choice.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 09:15
Registered Member

Mem2 - Thanks for your reply.. Yes I have read Atkins more than 3 times and know what to eat.. It says I can eat what I want as long as it is on the list of foods. It also says that I should eat if I am hungry but not to the point where I feel stuffed. I actually eat alot less when on atkins. I don't think I have been eating too much.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 09:37
Registered Member

Stats: 211/180/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 44%

Cheese and bacon has ALOT of sodium in it.
Dont worry get back on track and u will be fine.

Whenever I think about cheating I come to the boards first. By the time i'm done reading. I dont want what I was craving

Goodluck to u. You can do this
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 23:34
Registered Member

Stats: 143/126.6/125 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 91%

Bacon and cheese = lots 'o sodium = water retention UNLESS you are drinking lots and lots and lots of water to flush it out. Good luck
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 23:40

Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

i would suggest cutting out the vodka and cheese as well. i know it's hard at first--i've finally talked myself into losing this last thirty pounds--but after awhile it gets so easy. and i know it's difficult but JUST SAY NO to carbs and cheating. the cravings are sooo bad, but just please know that's normal. i know you can do it!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 23:42

Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

oh!! deviled eggs make a GREAT afternoon snack, and cheddar cheese from kraft, i believe, has 0 carbs, though i'd still watch my portion sizes on it.