Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 12:47
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Having a hard time lately

Hi all,

Confession time.... I have really been struggling lately. I'm finding it extremely hard to stay on track. I've been doing this WOL for 9 months now, and it's more challenging now than ever. I don't think I have really lost any new poundage since before Christmas. I keep going up and down with the same 7 pounds. I dug out some new recipes to try, so maybe that will help me by having some variety. I want to lose this weight so badly. I took a full body shot of me last night. Ack... gonna post it in my gallery later today. I want to find an old picture of me around my highest weight and post that too. I avoided the camera so much back then that pics of me are few and far between, ya know?

So much has been going on in my life and I have been so stressed lately. I sometimes find myself crying (like now), and I wonder what I have done to deserve these things. I try and have a positive outlook on life, and I'm usually successful, but lately, EVERYTHINGS a struggle.

I know that if I didn't have this forum and all you wonderful people, that I would have been back up to 280 or more by now. I want to be at a normal weight so bad. What's normal? I don't know, but I want to be able to shop in ANY store and buy really cute clothes that I look GOOD in. I don't want my weight to be the first thing people notice when they look at me. I don't want people to judge me because of my weight. I want to love myself.
Ok, enough of the self-pity. I need a tissue.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 13:04
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Like
Stats: 266.5/231/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:50.06%/42.96%/25%
Progress: 33%

I try to take things one day at a time - I have long stalls. YOU HAVE LOST 62 LBS. - now that is something to celebrate. It would seem that when people lose around 50 % things seem to slow for a while. There is tread here somewhere that discusses this. It would seem a stall for you right now is normal and things will start moving again. Stick with it - remember this WOE is for our whole life - not just until we hit goal! Ignore your lack of progress right now and concentrate on varying your diet to make it more interesting.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 13:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Hang in there - we all go through these cycles! Your weight loss is tremendous and you can keep losing! The best advice I ever got was "just concentrate on today, tomorrow is gone and who knows what will happen tomorrow". Just try to make TODAY count. Orchid
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 13:41
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time lately. I also find that when I am under a lot of stress, my body just hangs on to each pound and refuses to get any smaller. I've read that there are hormonal reasons for this and it makes sense evolutionarily. In fact, I am going through one of those periods right now.

For me, I have found that it works to just accept the fact that at time my body is going to stabilize at its current weight and that eventually, when my life becomes more stable, I will start losing again. This is a big improvement for me over gaining weight when I was under stress -- which is what I always did before I started low carbing. I do make myself stick to healthy eating, even knowing that I probably won't lose, because I feel better when I do so and that helps me to deal with the stress. Also, I know that gaining weight will just lead to more stress and I certainly don't need that!

I know it is difficult, but if you focus on the success you have had so far rather than on the weight you have left to lose, it will make things easier. If looking at pictures of yourself upsets you, then put them away and don't look at them until you are past this stressful period in your life. Don't wait until you get to goal to buy clothes that you look good in. Buy something you look good in now! I admit it is harder to look good in cheap clothes at our weight, but if you can possibly get yourself some well-made clothes you will look good in them. It's getting easier and easier to find good clothes in plus sizes. In my opinion, most of the clothes at Lane Bryant are not particularly well-made and I don't look good in them. I do better with the plus size departments of major department stores or places like Talbots. I just calculated your BMI and it is almost identical to my BMI (I'm taller, so even though I weigh more we come out about the same). If I can find decent clothes, you should be able to do so as well.

Last edited by liz175 : Sun, Jan-18-04 at 13:44.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: Custom
Stats: 410/253/240 Male 72
BF:Wow/30%/???
Progress: 92%

Yes, on the bright side you have lost quite a bit already.

What does your exercise program look like? It is much better to burn fat than just diet and lose both fat & lean tissue. Thats why so many start stalling after the 50 lb mark, they have lost muscle which has slowed their metabolism.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 14:54
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Hi Zora,

I'm very sorry that you are going through a tough time. We both started at the same place and I am around the same mark as you so I know how much effort you have put into getting this far.

I know too about losing focus -- it seems that when you lose focus, even a little cheat translates into extra weight when the same cheat if it's planned, does no damage. Almost as though guilt has a poundage attachment!

Certainly exercise is a good habit to start or increase. New recipes are also good to stoke the fires.

Try buying a new low carb book or two. I have found reading other LC diet books inspirational and they help keep me on the program when I am feeling like lagging. In fact, I have switched from Atkins to Suzanne Somers, using her diet mostly to have cereal and milk in the morning. Perhaps a bit of variety in the LC approach would be the spice that can help you get focused again.

Good luck -- hope we meet at the bottom!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 16:12

Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hey Zora - WOW! an impressive loss!! I can hardly wait til I can post a similiar note. I too have found it difficult at times but each day holds new hope.

How about joining us in a challenge? Its been a great way for me to get and stay motivated.

Good Luck!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 16:39
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%
Wink

Hi Zora,

Hang in there. Everyone tends to stall at their weightloss eventually. Not sure if you workout much but I find that it can really help wake up your metabolism.

Dont let things stress you out. For the past week my husband has been in the hospital and so many times I have wanted to pig out on something stupid that would put me off track. But I didnt do it. I just kept on remembering the few times I went to McD's for fries and when I got them they werent even FRESH!..LOL It wasnt worth the cheat do be dissapointed by sogggy fries. Instead I went to the gym and spent some time on the elliptical machine and released my stress.

Congrats on losing the 62lbs so far.
Just imagine you lost over:
12 5lbs bags of sugar or
6 10lb bags of rice or
8 newborn babies ~ weight of at least 7lbs each or
4 15.5 lb Shih tzus
(what can I say, I have dogs, I always compare my weight loss to them)

Sometimes when I am down I do this type of compare b/c it only encourages me to continue. I live on the second floor of a two family house. At my current weight loss (10lbs) I'd hate to bring up that 1 10lb bag of rice up the two flights of stairs.

Stay Strong,
Dewi

Last edited by Dewi : Sun, Jan-18-04 at 16:43.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 16:56

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

Hey! Our stats are pretty similar... I think you are doing GREAT! Hang in there and keep it going. you KNOW what you need to do but are having a hard time kicking your own butt...Sooo you posted---GOOD job! Sounds like you might need to get your butt back into ketosis so you loose cravings again and get back into the groove.... I keep cycling around and it always takes that to get me losing again and feeling good.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 17:45
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond to my post. I really needed the encouragement and knew I could count on the people here to help me.
Yes, I do need to start exercising and I will try some new recipes. I have a few already printed out. I bought some low carb recipe books awhile back and I will look through those. The important thing that I need to be careful with is that I don't emotional eat. Whenever I get stressed, anxious, upset, bored, I eat. This has been causing me to fail lately. I will not be a failure!!!!!!
Thanks again for listening to me. I love you all.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 07:40

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

you and I are about in the same spot . . .I do find that i am able to wear some cuter clothes. . .and I know my weight is not the first thing in the room now (I am a loud rehead. . .so this might be helping my first impression not be weight). . .think. . .would you feel better back up there? You know that is what will happen if you go off LC. . .not a threat. . .just reality. . .i have been in a stall like mode for over 2 months. . .lose 2 gain 1. . .lose 1 gain 2. . .somehow it is zigzaging itself down the scale. . .BUT SO SLOWLY. But I have already made the decision. . .that even if I never lost another pound (which I will) this WOL is some much better for how I feel physically and psychologoically that the weight loss is just the cherry on the sundae. Think of the control this WOL has given you back. redawn
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 02:06

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%

Is a holiday possible? Even a long weekend somewhere nice to totally indulge yourself with lovely healthy raw natural foods, vegetables, nuts, good meats, salads... throw in a facial a manicure a pedicure, some walking, swimming, reading.... might be just the medicine,
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:02

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

hmmm...Where are we going Luscious? sounds too good to be true!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:05

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

Just to make you aware, exercising is wonderful but when you first begin to do it your weight loss can slow or you might even gain a little. This is from water retention usually(and sometimes added muscle). Once your body gets used to it the weight will begin to come off again. Adding more water to your day can sometimes help as well.
You might consider putting away the scale for awhile and getting out the tape measure instead.
If you have noticed similar patterns like this in the wintertime in your life(loss of focus, decreased energy etc.) You might consider the possibility of having SAD(Seasonal Affective Disorder). Zuleika wrote an article concerning it. i think it is in the CAD/CALP section and there are many articles about it online. Here are a few you might find helpful:
http://www.outsidein.co.uk/sadinfo.htm
http://www.nmha.org/infoctr/factsheets/27.cfm
http://www.sada.org.uk/

Best of luck to You (all..smiles)
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:24

Plan: Atkins-Started 6 Jan 2003
Stats: 445/445/225 Male 6 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi there,

Just thought I would drop by and add some words of encouragement. I am feeling the same as you at the moment. It is difficult finding the motivation sometimes.
Look how far you have come and where you were at this time last year.

I have certainly become a little complacent. The weight was falling off, so you kind of get the impression that it will continue to do so.

I have now gone back to basics and tried to increase my exercise.

Please don't give up. Your success is an inspiration to all those who have just started.

You are part of a wonderful community of folks just like you.

We all learn by sharing each others experiences. Where better to come for that.

Kind Regards

Kenny

Jan 03 Weight : 420 pounds
Jan 04 Weight : 294 pounds