Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Will you change the amount of Saturated Fat you eat?
Yes 8 8.89%
No 75 83.33%
Not sure yet 7 7.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 22:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%
Question Will you change the amount of Saturated Fat you eat?

Will you change your diet due to the changes announced by Atkins nutritionals?

I for one will not unless a conclusive study comes out saying that saturated fats are dangerous. Though I don't always eat a lot of red meat I don't plan on having it be a concern while eating low carb.

January 18, 2004--The New York Times
Make That Steak a Bit Smaller, Atkins Advises Today's Dieters
By MARIAN BURROS

After advising dieters for years to satisfy their hunger with liberal amounts of steak, eggs and other saturated fats, the promoters of the Atkins diet now say that people on their plan should limit the amount of red meat and saturated fat they eat....

For more info see this link:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=160227
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 23:05

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

No, I'm not planning any changes at all - beef, pork, butter and cream remain on my menu plan. Having read "cholesterol myths" and "the soft science of dietary fat" I am convinced the "fat kills" hypothesis is a myth. I'm sorry to see the current Atkins people trying to mainstream the plan. Bill
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 23:32
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 172/172/130 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I wonder why Dr. Atkin's heirs are changing his proven diet. Weight Watchers and others thrive because people lose then gain and return to spend their money on their products because it worked for awhile. They don't provide for a continuing WOE that one can follow and keep the wt. off because they want you to come back and spend more money. I don't think that this was ever Dr. Atkins business plan though it may be his heirs. jeri
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 23:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I hesitated between "no" and "not sure yet".

But the burden of proof should be on those saying eating naturally existing fats is unhealthy.

So "no" it is, unless proven otherwise.

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 23:57

Stats: 190/186.5/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I am sure like every other study done - 6 months down the road - it will all change again!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 00:06
Registered Member

Stats: 225/216.7/190 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 24%

I try not too eat too much anyway...and outside of breakfast most of my food is low in SAT
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 00:33

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Absolutely not. I like my red meat and plan to continue eating whatever I feel like I need. And I LOVE my heavy cream.

Last edited by Grimalkin : Sun, Jan-18-04 at 00:35.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 06:33

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I'm going to do some more reading up on fats before I decide.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 06:43

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

No, I'm not. The people running Atkins are now in the business of marketing. The good doctor wrote and revised his plan over a period of 30+ years using knowledge gained in his medical practice.

After reading the article about how the Atkins people are now changing the things they are saying go back and read DANDR. Dr. Atkins clearly stated to eat until satisfied - not stuff your face with steak. He also gave guidelines for estimating the size of a serving of protien. Also remember that the Atkins people are now marketing low carb frankenfoods as suitable for induction instead of stressing doing a clean induction with whole natural foods.

They should be ashamed of themselves. All they are trying to do is grab more of the market share of dieters without taking into consideration the health benefits of following the Atkins eating plan as written by Dr. Atkins. Yes, Dr. Atkins did make some low carb items available, but did not advertise them as suitable for induction. They were simply items like the baking mix that were suitable for ongoing weight loss.

shortstuff
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 07:44
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

I'm going to continue to try to keep my sat fat intake relatively low. I never did trust the advice to ignore the findings of 20 years of research. And since I'm terrified of anything that will harden my brain arteries, lol, I think being prudent is the right idea for me.

And on the topic of marketing--the Atkins Advantage bars are all fairly high in sat fat. So how is the company going to continue to market those?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 08:11

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

No, I'm not. The studies that show that saturated fats are dangerous were done using a relatively high-carb diet. Studies of sat fats with a low-carb diet show no health risks. It's as simple as that. (However, I do try to eat a variety of fats except for the uber-bad trans fats.)

Also, I believe I read somewhere (can't recall where) that when researchers looked at the makeup of blood vessel plaque, most of it consisted of UNsaturated fat.

I would love to see some research as to WHY higher carbs (or refined carbs?) cause the plaques to build up, but I don't know if it's been done. Course, with the Atkins people caving in to marketing pressure, that study may never be done.

Last edited by FrecklFluf : Sun, Jan-18-04 at 09:28.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 08:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I intend to continue having a variety of natural fats in my diet, including highly saturated types like butter and unrefined coconut oil. I've kept track at Fitday for nearly 3 years and average daily intake of 23% saturates - some days higher, sometimes lower. In that time, my lipid panel has improved and blood pressure has come way down. I have however made a conscious effort to eliminate processed fats and trans fats, and avoid vegetable oils which are mostly omega-6 polyunsaturates, such as soybean and corn oil.

From all the reading I've done, I'm confident that as long as I'm not eating a lot of carbohydrate foods, in particular grains and starches, then dietary fat composition isn't a health issue. If you think about it .. grains and corn are fed to animals before slaughter to fatten them up, and it changes the ratios of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids, especially the omega-6 to 3 ratio. It stands to reason grains will do the same thing in our bodies too.

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 08:25

Plan: slow and local
Stats: 150/133.2/100 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 34%

I am in a somewhat different place than a lot of posters here - I have to have bloodwork every 3 months to check cholesterol levels, because I am a (very well managed, thank you) type II diabetic.

I can honestly say that my numbers have NEVER been better (even in my twenties, when I only sporadically had cholesterol checks done). Obviously, if something changes in that department, I will re-evaluate but I don't plan to change a thing unless something drastic happens.

My own physician didn't recommend Atkins to me, but after seeing my success (both weight-wise and cholesterol wise) I think he is encouraging others of his patients to try it. He aggravates me on some things, but he is a PEACH on this.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 11:31

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

My diet is working fine. It is not harming my arteries, however, moderation is important. In general, when eating meat, I try to keep it at 4-6 ozs. I have meat atleast twice a day. I cook with olive oil and butter, but I don't want to go hog wild and pig out on meat while leaving good nutritios veggies in the dust. I have always felt safe with balance. My lipid profile shows that I am on the right track.

Black57
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 14:10

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

I plan to stay on the Atkin's plan DR. Atkins made not the corporation. If I wanted lower fat low carb, there are plenty of other plans to choose from. This has worked well for me. My bgs are good, my bp is good and my lipids are good. Why change something that is working well when nothing else EVER worked for me. The ADA diet caused me to gain more than 30 pounds.