Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 15:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Serious Calorie Question

Ok folks... I know I've posted questions about this in the past, but I'm still struggling with it and wondering if I'm going to be causing problems for myself in the future.

I don't think I eat enough calories in a day.

According to Fitday (granted, to be taken with a grain of salt) my basal is 1810. According to mybodycomp, my RMR is 1759. However, I consistently eat around 1200 cals a day. (Every now and then I have a high day which is between 1600 & 1800, but rare, and sometimes a low day (600 - 700). I'm not hungry, I'm craving, I'm not snacking and I feel like I'm eating plenty of food. When I manage to get my calories up high, it's because I've added in a large amount of cheese, or maybe made a recipe with a cream sauce using sour cream. However, I'm not a big dairy eater, so I don't like doing that often.

Here are my questions:
1. Is this a problem? Everyone says you should eat at least your BMR... what are the problems associated with eating below it? Am I slowing/starving my metabloism?

2. Does this mean I'll stop losing weight as my BMR lowers if I don't lower my cals even further? Am I setting myself up for failure in later weightloss & maintenance? I don't really want to be stuck maintaining at 800 cals a day :P

3. HOW do I raise my cals??

I don't like dairy very much, which I know is a great source of fat (not a fan of sour cream, cheese on its own, cream cheese, nuts, creamy dressings) - I've added in a caesar salad most days, with a tbsp of caesar dressing, but that's about my max for the day. I can eat whipped cream but try not to have too much in a day. (Probably about 2-3 tbsps whipped). I do make my version of LC mini jell-o cheesecakes, but my daily serving is 205 cal, 19 fat, 3 carb. I don't really want to be eating more dessert (though I could make a convincing argument that they're good for me ) I add a bit of butter to my veggies, but can't really find many things to put butter ON since I can't eat LC breads etc... I also live with and cook for someone who is NOT LC'ing. Gratuitously adding fat to our main course would likely prove to be quite detrimental to his health in the long run, since he's also eating high carb. I already almost cook 2 different meals for EVERY meal, but am trying to keep the main meat the same to make things a bit simpler.

4. I prefer to eat 3 meals with 1 dessert/snack in the evenings... is this ok? I know they recommend 6 smaller meals, but it doesn't work for me hunger-wise or schedule-wise. Is eating 3x a day ok?

On a related note, I used to be a major snacker - once I started LC'ing, I decided that anytime I felt snacky I'd have a "meal".. maybe a small one, but a meal (with veggie, protein etc). Over time, this cut my snacking down to almost nothing, and helped me get my hunger/body used to eating 3 meals at regular times. I do still like my "snack/sweet" in the evenings, but that's more of a social thing since I live with a snacker. Cutting it out would make me feel resentful & as though I"m missing out - death to diets in the past for me

5. I'm just starting to regularly exercise (finally found something I can stick to!). Granted, no where near the level of activity many of you do But I"m doing a 1hr Aquafit several times a week, and using different resistence tools/deep water I can make it quite tiring. How should this impact my cals? Do I *have* to up them?

6. What else do I need to know?

Any thoughts, experience, recommendations greatly appreciated!!

Wynter

Last edited by Wynter : Sat, Jan-17-04 at 15:39.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 15:48

Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

What are you cooking with? Using butter/olive oil to fry/ baste food will add calories.

You mention Caesar salad. Waht about a regular salad with an oil based dressing?
Do you like egg salad with mayo..It is good with celery as a snack and lots of calories and fat...I too am supposed to be eating a lot more calories than I do and I have lost 40 lbs in three months so I am not too worried. I should be eating about the same cals as you and I usually eat about what you do or less..... but I make sure my % of fat per day is 70%.....
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 15:48
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The problem with those sites is they can only guess at your BMR based on height, lean weight, total weight, age and so on. It would take a full test to know your true BMR.

If you want to add calories, you might try other things besides dairy. Avcados, nut butters (after induction), mayo, olive oil on salads or butter on veggies. Just add 1/2 a tbsp of olive oil to your cesear dressing. It will add moisture, If you get extra light there won't be any odd taste, and that will add a few calories. I also used to enjoy putting butter on my eggs to add moisture.

As for the 3 meals vrs 6 smaller, everyone is different. Some plans such as BFL require 6 small meals, while others such as CAD say you can get away with 1-2 meals a day. Since you are following Atkins, follow his advice would be my vote. Eat when hungry, making sure to have at least a small snack every 4 hours.

If you are exercising then you should up both cals and protien. This ensures enough energy to complete the exercises and daily needs. You also need the added protien for muscle repair. When you exercise muscles are ripped apart. It's as they heal and rebuild they become larger and stronger. If there is no protien they have a hard time repairing.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 15:51
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Wynter. If you're mostly eating 1200 calories a day then I don't think you're eating enough. I'm not saying you should never eat 1200 calories but you really need to keep them IMO around 1600-1800.

The easiest way to get your calories is with fat. That being said the first thing you should do is get your required protein in, then your EFA and your carbs and let the rest of your calories come from fat in order to achieve 1600-1800. I know this sounds gross but to increase my fat I have a tablespoon of flax oil or olive oil. Since you don't like dairy you can get your fat in with olive oil and flax oil.

I personally like eating smaller meals more often but if 3 meals and a snack works for you I don't see a problem as long as you do not go 6 hours without eating. A good idea is to make sure you have protein at every meal.

Hope that helps.

red
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 16:03

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank you for the replies!

MaggieB - I do use butter/oil when cooking sometimes, but since I'm also cooking for a non-LC'er, I worry about upping the fat too much for him. Unfortunately, I'm not an egg-salad or mayo fan... keep trying it hoping I'll develop a taste but no go yet :P My fat is always around 70%, in fact I try to balance all of my meals aroudn 70/5/25 so as to spread my carbs throughout the day. I'm not so much worried about the 'now' of how I'm eating, more the future, when I'm trying to lose the last 20-30 lbs, or when I'm maintaining.

Ladybelle - good tip on adding the oil to my caesar dressing... that should up it a bit. Not an avocado/mayo fan... but nut butters might be an idea. But what do you put them ON?? I think that's my big problem. I mean, I love butter, but all the things I used to dream about slathering them on are out of the question for me now (Potatoes, bread, rolls, crackers, etc.) LC bread replacements stall me, so I can't even use LC toast. I guess I can just eat spoonfuls......???

Red - I am starting to agree that my cals should be higher, at least for now. I did take a tbsp or 2/day of Udo's oil (stopped while travelling and forgot to re-start, I should get back to that). However, some people say that something like that (oil as a supplement) should not be counted in your daily cal/fat. So I will add that back in starting today, but I'm not sure that'll significantly impact my cals/fat as I"m not sure whether to count them.

Thanks for your input folks!
Wynter
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 16:50

Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

What about putting butter on your hot veggies? I LOVE butter on my green beens, aspargus, cabbage,broccoli etc....the more the better and I always put it on after it has cooked so that wouldn't present a problem for your roommates food. Also what about a butter/garlic steak/meat spread? Again can be put just on top of meat.......
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 17:10

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

How do I calculate my own numbers and find out how many calories I need to eat? What is the basal?
Thanks!