Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 14:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think that Dr. Atkins is gone and the company is thinking more of its market share than almost anything else.

I think it is trying to combat the worst of the "nutritionists" objections to the 'eat all you want' concept - which was NEVER true. How may people can or even tried to eat a pound of bacon at a sitting or a huge steak? And don't you eat more veggies and salad now than ever?

It may be positioning itself to introduce even more new products. I wish that there would be more emphasis on eating REAL FOOD and less on finding substitutes for the high carb foods. That might help more in changing our eating patterns than using substitutes that are "lower Carb" but not as good as real food.

Grumble, grumble, grumble. Why doesn't Dr. A. come back and haunt them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 18:39
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Omega
Stats: 163/123/120 Female 5'4"
BF:no idea/too much
Progress: 93%

[QUOTE=tofi] I wish that there would be more emphasis on eating REAL FOOD and less on finding substitutes for the high carb foods. That might help more in changing our eating patterns than using substitutes that are "lower Carb" but not as good as real food.

That is the wisest thing I've ever seen written about dieting. And, yes, I've been saying this for decades and I'm sure others have too, but I've never seen it written down.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 18:53

Plan: protein power
Stats: 245/236/175 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Well, ABC News with Peter Jennings picked up the same exact story tonight as the NY Times. I'm just appalled that they would run that story without even checking into its validity!! They even had clips of interviews with Atkins reps...obviously edited to say what they wanted it to say....unless Atkins Corp is telling 2 different stories to make everybody happy. Hmmmm?
I guess I'm going to find ABC's e-mail address and send them off a nice little note also!!
I guess this is just more of the same un-researched, un-iformed journalism. Will Dr. A ever get a break?????
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 19:17

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I'm registered on the Atkins site....and just received this email from them:

Quote:
We want to assure you that when you follow the Atkins Nutritional Approach (ANA), the consumption of all forms of natural fat is perfectly safe. Let us also remind you that despite numerous studies that have supported the safety and efficacy of the ANA, the conventional nutrition community has no scientific research to back up its claims that consuming fat (including saturated fat) is bad for you in the context of a controlled carbohydrate lifestyle.

The fight goes on—and will no doubt continue. The latest attack comes in the form of an outrageous article in The New York Times, claiming that we at Atkins have changed our position on fat consumption. Loud and clear, with the notable exception of man-made trans fats (which Dr. Atkins long ago identified as dangerous), all fats are a healthy component of the Atkins lifestyle.

Atkins has not changed its basic tenets in more than 30 years. So what is new? Well, Atkins is changing the way people around the world eat and that should keep us in the headlines for years to come!