Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 11:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298/209/170 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Why can't they do the research

Hi all,

I don't understand why so many in the field of health care don't support this WOE. I know they are coming around but they are so damn stubborn. I work in a hospital and have kept a bit hush hush about this WOE I am following because I knew it would stir things up. Anyway yesterday I had a formula rep bring a huge bag of candy to the nurses station. I looked at this stuff for about 3 hours before telling the other nurses that I needed to stash this stuff because it was driving me nuts. I blew my cover and told them that I was low carbing and have already lost 8 lbs. Here came the comments. "You are a nurse, you should know better" "This damages your kidneys", "the weight loss is all water". All I could do was comment, "Come on you guys, you are nurses, do your research".

The reward came when I went down to the cafe and saw one of the nurses that said "it will damage your kidneys" and there she was sitting at a table eating an ice cream sandwich stuffed between two cookies. I didn't say anything but thought to myself, "looks like shes concerned about her kidneys". LOL

I'll prove then all wrong when I lose all 100+ lbs of this water weight!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 12:00

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

You go Girl!!

I am Lucky My daughter is a nurse and she is the one that got me to eating this way. and one of the doctors she works for showed it to her.

Have a great day!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 12:00

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

Maybe it's where you live.
my mother's a nurse and pretty much everyone on her floor knows she is limiting her carbs. It was even her doctor that suggested she do it and her doctor also limits her carbs and has lost a bunch of weight.
It seems to be a pretty common thing around here and i haven't had any backlash from it.
i've even had waitresses, after taking my order say "And no bread with that, right?" very pleasantly.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 12:06
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

I think slowly......and I mean very slowly......some of the medical proffesionals are coming around. Many people on the forum have doctors that praise the plan while others....like my doctor just shakes her head at me and says....no way.

I think for the average person....living their lives (including me) being told that fat makes you fat....it has been planted so deep into their brain.....it really is hard for some to understand the facts versus the fiction.

It is becoming readily apparent (to those other than us who already know the benefits!) that a low carb lifestyle is a healthy one and a popular one.....look at all of the companies jumping on board with new low carb choices and products.

I'm just hopeful that the rest of the medical profession isn't too far behind.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 12:43
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I'm sorry the people you work with feel that way -- it must make things difficult for you. You know, you don't have to tell people that you are on a lowcarb diet in order to explain why you don't want candy around. I'm not aware of any eating plan that advocates consuming candy as a way to improve health. I don't have any problems with candy sitting around -- I'm well past the cravings stage -- but I sometimes have people insist that I try something. I often just explain that I am concerned about my health and therefore I don't eat white sugar and white flour. It's hard for anyone, no matter what they think of Atkins, to argue that you really need white sugar and white flour.

My primary doctor doesn't "believe in" Atkins (I'm looking for a new one, but so far haven't been able to find a local doctor who has a reputation of being Atkins friendly). However, my gynecologist thinks that Atkins is great and her entire family (herself, husband, and daughter) have been following it.

The medical profession is probably much like the rest of society -- some medical professionals have made the paradigm shift from lowfat to lowcarb and others have not.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 13:19
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

My doctor recommened I start Atkins, and when I said I was thinking of doing the Somersize plan he tried to get me to just do Atkins. I suppose it was because no one's done research studies on the Somersize plan. Oh well. It's working for me and I feel great.

It's funny I had so much WATER in me to lose !!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 14:35
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDean
It's funny I had so much WATER in me to lose !!!

It's amazing that you couldn't here the water swishing around when we moved, given all the "water weight" we have lost. 100 pounds of water is a lot of water!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 16:07

Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I have been keeping it pretty hush hush too - I just don't need the extra hassle of defending my choices. Not sure why people need to have an opinion on what I am not putting into my mouth! Of course now that this WOE has gone mainstream everyone thinks they know enough to comment. I'm all for having an opinion (especially my OWN!) but only when I ask....
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 17:16
Registered Member

Stats: 278/189/150 Female 65 inches
BF:?/35%/25%

Don't feel bad Lauri, some health professionals have educated themselves and are realizing the health benefits. My mother is a critical care nurse in Southern CA also and has been low carbing for two years and got me started. Many cariologists in her hospital reccomend carb controlling diets, which apparently irritates the hospital nutritionist who, despite their supposed profession, are quite ignorant. Progress is going to be slow. It is human nature not to want to admit you are wrong. The medical community, nor the government, is eager to discuss how low-fat may not be the magic bullet they once claimed.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 17:25

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

great line. . .not mine. . .'it's okay for me to eat a steak, salald, baked potato, veggie and a roll. . .but if I skip the potato and the roll I'm gonna die?. . .explain?!' And I think mudknife brought up the concept of one of his classmates losing 100lbs through starvation. . .now that is okay?. . .stomach stapling where 1 out of 200 people never make it out of the hospital. . .that's okay?. . .but eatting more salad and less sugar than I ever have in my life, this will kill me? Quicker than the extra 100+ lbs I am hauling around? You are in the health INDUSTRY. . .they can't make $$$ off of Low Carbing. . .AND if it works for you like it has worked for others. . .you won't need meds. . .which cost $$$. . .you will need less Dr.'s which takes $$$$ out of their pockets. . .after all this is AMERICA. . .if it doesn't make $$$ it must be BAD. <g> redawn
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 17:32

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolSue
Don't feel bad Lauri, some health professionals have educated themselves and are realizing the health benefits. My mother is a critical care nurse in Southern CA also and has been low carbing for two years and got me started. Many cariologists in her hospital reccomend carb controlling diets, which apparently irritates the hospital nutritionist who, despite their supposed profession, are quite ignorant. Progress is going to be slow. It is human nature not to want to admit you are wrong. The medical community, nor the government, is eager to discuss how low-fat may not be the magic bullet they once claimed.

I had a diabetic nutritionist aghast that I was doing low carb. . .she sees people in her practice making a meal out of low carb bars and calling that a sensible diet. . .i wish I had been more knowlegable at the time. . .I met her doing musicals last year so I am bound to see her again. . .I can't wait til she sees the water weight I have misplaced. . .hehehe. redawn
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 11:15

BF:

[[I can't wait til she sees the water weight I have misplaced.]]

I can't wait until she sees you too!! Let us know when it happens.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 11:16

BF:

[['it's okay for me to eat a steak, salald, baked potato, veggie and a roll. . .but if I skip the potato and the roll I'm gonna die?. . .explain?!']]

Can't explain it redawn, it makes no sense!! That's fine, we have seen the light and we are free at last!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 12:33
Registered Member

Stats: 278/189/150 Female 65 inches
BF:?/35%/25%

Calling low carb diets bad because some people make poor choices is a cop out and a very simplistic way of thinking. Low fat diets and vitually every other manner of diet that has gained any popularity has these meal replacements available. It is ridiculous to suggest that only low carb lets people make poor choices.

To illustrate my point, I was in the teachers lounge with some colleages, we had only a short time before our meetings were to resume. They offered me a meal replacement bar suitable for the Weight Watchers program they follow. The second ingredient was corn syrup and the third ingredient, sugar. It also had white flour in it. Clearly, low fat did not rescue them from a nutritional wasteland.