Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 20:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 260/188/200 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default "Irregular" events....

Ok, Ok... so no reason to be embarrased I suppose. But... ahem, I've been noticing some slight descrepencies in "BM's" now that I'm nearing my 5th week on induction. I mean... sometimes I go for 3-5 days without one; and when I do it sure doesn't seem like 5 days worth if you catch my drift. I take 1tbs of Metamucil (Psylliac husks - not sure of spelling) every day, and drink a ton of water (2-4 litres per day as a rough guess). I also try to run 1-2miles at least 3 times per week, and lift weights. I do my best to balance meals, although my veggies usually consist of romaine lettuce (3 or so cups per day) and the odd bit of tomatoe/celery/cuccumber. I don't really notice and discomfort or pain, except mild cramps just below my lower abdominals. I just can't figure it out... I mean I want to avoid drugs.. but what's a guy to do?

I take the following pills on a daily basis:
-1 a Day: For Men (by Bayer) multi-vitimen
-1 Tablet of Vitimen C
-2 Capsules of Vitimen E

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

--Drew
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 20:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Despite the fiber you are getting from the lettuce and the psyllium husks, this is a rather "low residue" way of eating. You might want to add in some other vegetables to your salad, or some cooked vegetables.

I take psyllium in the form of capsules as I have the "opposite" problem when LCing.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 20:50

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

I also have the opposite problem tofi. Very frustrating! I'm trying the psyllium husks in a glass of water. Are the capsules a better form to take it in?

Squid
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 20:57
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

sigh I wish I had the opposite problem. I take 2 Colon Guard caps a day, they have psyllium husk and slippery elm bark. Don't really make things any more slippery for me tho. I just try not to focus on the fact I only go every 3-5 days. I just got a little worried the first round of induction when it was nearing 10 days. I drank some senna tea with great effects the next day. Now I drink some after about the 3rd day cuz it gets really uncomfortable. This is not a new thing with me. LC is not the reason, I've always been like this, now it's just intensified.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 21:01

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:

Want to know something funny? One of the best helpers for the constipation problem may be the low carb candy bars with maltitol and/or other sugar alcohols.

I have to really limit those or things get almost uncontrollable. I know that sugar alcohols are prescribed as laxatives - Lactitol is a combo of 2 SAs. So you might want to indulge in an Endulge bar or the PB cups. Perhaps a small serving daily might help. Whee!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 22:09

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh my, the things we discuss! Still, this is a subject near and dear to my "heart" so here's my advice. Try plain psyllium husks, Metamucil & its generic equivalents have lots of extra gunk. Plain is better. Also try aloe capsules. I get my psyllium and aloe from The Vitamin Shoppe (vitaminshoppe.com). Careful with the aloe, it takes some adjustment. Probably no more than 1 per day at first. This combo works for me. First time in my life I've not had a problem in this department.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 22:24

Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much

When I get stopped up which is only like maybe twice a year, I take Senna. I never hear anyone mention it though. Works great for me

Alli
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 22:36
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

I just mentioned it above in my first post.

Those SF candies have absolutly NO effect on me, I can eat 5-6 PB cups and then a couple of RS SF candies and nothing nadda zip. I tried this cuz I figured if it had to come out it might as well be good going in. All it did was make me want more. Very little has an effect on me, but the senna tea did wonders. I use one called "smooth move" what a name!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 03:20

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%

Try having a small tin of tuna with olive oil (or just the oil on its own). Increasing your fat is bound to help. I have the opposite problem, and had to reduce my good oil intake.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 06:16
Getting back to me

Plan: LC WW
Stats: 176/167.2/145 Female 5'7" in
BF:
Progress: 28%

Coffee with cream does the trick for me. I also drink Senna tea.

Dana
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 06:59
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

I can relate to your problem. This is my THIRD time trying Atkins and constipation is what causes me problems every time. I want so much to have the Atkins diet work for me. I have done everything possible and followed the book and suggesestions of others --seems like the only thing left is getting a SHOVEL! This is embarrassing to talk about, but gosh what is a person to do when they have tried EVERYTHING and nothing works? I get so constipated that I have a lot of abdominal pain and feel I am going to burst.
I just hope it doesn't get so bad this time I will have to quit again.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 08:23
wrkn off da baby fat

Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Same prob here and all I have been taking is the SF Metamucil. I use 1 heaping tablespoon in about 16oz of water, 3 times a day. I'm having a little relief but not the avalanche I was waiting for. *lol*
I fried up some zucchini last night in butter and practically drank the butter down just to loosen me up (it usually does the trick) but no haps. I guess when your constipated you ARE blocked up and the usual isn't as effective.