Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 20:12
Registered Member

Plan: My Own LC plan
Stats: 230/153/155 Male 68
BF:32%/11-12%/9-10%
Progress: 103%
Unhappy Fat Gain On Ckd!!!

Hi Everyone

I take my body fat measurements every 2 weeks on my suprailiac. I started CKD for the first time 3 weeks ago after 2 years of LCing.

Tonight I took my body fat measurements and I GAINED FAT about 1mm (a lot for me, most fat I have had for a while).
Oh man it feels terrible.

I was hopping CKD would let me gain some muscle and lose fat, or at least not gain fat. After a year of weight lifting while LCing I wanted to see better results than I was seeing

So looking for any thoughts, comments, or help.

I am going to try doing a refeed every 2 or 3 weeks now instead of every week.

My stats:
Male
23 years old
5'-8''
160 lb.
12-13%BF

Did fairly clean carb-ups. About 15-16 grams carbs per kg body weight for 28-30 hours. First carb ups where not perfect to much fructose, but my last one was perfect.
I do cardio 7 days a week for at least 30 minutes. Workout with HST Mon. Wed. and Fri.

Any thoughts or ideas would be very appreciated.
Anyone else had this happen?

Maybe I should just use CKD to bulk, but as a former fat boy I hate to put on any fat at all. I fear I won't be able to take it off again.

Thanks
JWJ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 11:46
Contributing Member

Plan: CKD - TKD
Stats: 270/265/240 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

what's up jwjpilot? welcome to the forum!

something to keep in mind is water retention and also when you are taking your measurements? and if these factors have been accounted for, maybe you could try to slightly reduce your calories during the week. good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 13:58
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Yeah, you really have to count those calories during the week (or when ever your keto phase is). Do you use the calculator at http://www.users.voicenet.com/~petr...ss/ckdcalc.html ? It will tell you exactly what amount of calories and fat/protein/carbs you need to eat. Also http://www.fitday.com/ is the perfect thing for keeping up with those! Oh, and early morning empty stomach cardio is the way to go to burn more fat also, 'cause you know you're not burning anything else but pure body fat.
Good luck,Chip

Last edited by Chipperoo : Fri, Jan-09-04 at 13:59.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 21:50
Registered Member

Thanks ManoOPUS and Chipperoo for the replies.

>>>something to keep in mind is water retention and also when you are taking your measurements?>>>

I didn't feel bloated in the least, and it was 5 days since my carb up.
I take my measurements in the evening. I did it again this morning Fri. and the results were about the same.
I have to be very careful where I take the measurement on my suprailiac because only 1/3-1/2 inch away from where I usually take it and the results change buy 1mm. or more. so that may have been part of the problem also.

As far as the calories go I am guessing that is the problem I don't want it to be but it may well be.
I HATE absolutely HATE to keep track of cals. when I do I automatically get much hungrier and all think about is eating all day and I end up being miserable and hungry.
I just ate till I was satisfied or just before satisfaction.

I thought CKD to be for gaining muscle and not gaining fat because LC is such a difficult way to weight train. Maybe my thoughts were wrong though, from what I have read recently it seems more for cutting without losing muscle.
Is that correct?

Thanks for the welcome to the forum also.

JWJ
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 14:40

Plan: TKD
Stats: 238/208/200 Male 6 feet
BF:16, 7.5, 4
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjpilot
I thought CKD to be for gaining muscle and not gaining fat because LC is such a difficult way to weight train. Maybe my thoughts were wrong though, from what I have read recently it seems more for cutting without losing muscle.
Is that correct?

Thanks for the welcome to the forum also.

JWJ

That is correct, CKD is best for cutting fat while keeping muscle in my opinion.

It can also be used to gain mass while keeping fat gain to a minimum but for that goal I feel a more balanced diet is the way to go....when I want to gain mass I follow about a 30/40/30 split and eat about 18 times my bodyweight in calories...then just trim my fat gain off afterwards.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 21:01
Registered Member

Wink

Thanks KC_Pike for the info,

I need to bulk very bad. I want to experiment with a 30/40/30 diet to bulk like normal, but I want to try cutting with low carb so i can eat more calories.

JWJ
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 08:25

Quote:
Thanks KC_Pike for the info,

I need to bulk very bad. I want to experiment with a 30/40/30 diet to bulk like normal, but I want to try cutting with low carb so i can eat more calories.

JWJ

No problem but Im a little confused by what you said, do you want to bulk right now or cut down and then bulk?

The only time you can eat more calories on a CKD is during the carb up, during the week you have to have a calorie deficit.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 12:30
Registered Member

KC_Pike I want to bulk now and cut later. I am interested in experimenting in cutting with pure LC (20 carbs a day) vs. CKD.

I know many suggest a deflation of muscle from LCing but I have not experianced that, also it is said that there will be a greater loss of muscle mass from LCing than CKD, I do belive that.
However I wonder what the difference is in muscle lost between cutting with CKD vs. LC. A few ounces? a few pounds? or 10-20+ pounds?

I love CKD for the carb ups and the leptin advantages, but I feel it may not be so healthy to put the body through the swings of CKDing. I tend to feel rather sick after a carb up not just gastric trouble but flu and cold like symtoms. Also I feel I could get away with more total calories on LCing than CKD.

These are just random thoughts to clarify what I said, they may be right or wrong. I would be interested in any comments or feedback.

JWJ
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 12:53

Quote:
KC_Pike I want to bulk now and cut later. I am interested in experimenting in cutting with pure LC (20 carbs a day) vs. CKD.

I know many suggest a deflation of muscle from LCing but I have not experianced that, also it is said that there will be a greater loss of muscle mass from LCing than CKD, I do belive that.
However I wonder what the difference is in muscle lost between cutting with CKD vs. LC. A few ounces? a few pounds? or 10-20+ pounds?

I love CKD for the carb ups and the leptin advantages, but I feel it may not be so healthy to put the body through the swings of CKDing. I tend to feel rather sick after a carb up not just gastric trouble but flu and cold like symtoms. Also I feel I could get away with more total calories on LCing than CKD.

These are just random thoughts to clarify what I said, they may be right or wrong. I would be interested in any comments or feedback.

JWJ

From what you have stated above maybe a TKD would fit your plans?

Cutting on a straight LC diet is VERY difficult to do. Not only will you lose muscle, not sure how much, but you will also lose strength as well as your workouts being very difficult to keep high intensity.

Im on a straight LC diet most of the time only taking in carbs around days I weight train, its been amazing and you dont have to worry about doing the whole day or 2 day carb up.

Best of luck to you!