Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 10:47
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default Cold weather cause weight gain?

Just hoping that the sudden cold weather we just had with minus zero weather might help explain why I gained 3.5 lbs. back all of a sudden when I don't think I went off the diet very far.
I didn't "cheat" but I may have eaten bigger quantities of things as I fought the colder weather. I also didn't bother with FitDay for two days but I kept eating all of the same foods I have been eating for 9 months. I just may have eaten more bacon, cheese, and eggs than usual because it was so cold.
I also ate some chili, but basically had less than one serving and it has been pre-measured etc. and only has 10 carbs for a whole serving....it is all meat and spices and hot peppers........no beans or tomatoes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 13:08
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

In addition to plain old seasonal affective disorder, it wouldn't surprise me if many of us have a "hibernation" gene that slows our metabolism in winter.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 13:37
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Very common.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 15:45
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have heard that there may, in fact, be such a thing. Makes sense, especially to those of us up north.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 06:06

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I know I do best (weight loss) when its winter....I think my body just burns more calories to keep warm and I don't have the urge to eat and drink as much. My slowest weight loss has always been during the summer when BBQ's and drinking and water retention due to the heat causes things to slow down in me.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 09:51
Registered Member

Plan: ER4YT and Atkins
Stats: 172/146/139 Female 5'2"
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 79%

There have been some news bites lately on how people from colder climates tend to be thinner and live longer!!!!

I have noticed however I have had SAD quite badly this winter and have been in a very long stall (since Oct). I started taking Tyrosine (an amino acid, a building block of protein) to see if it would start making me wake up during the day.

Sure enough, after 7 days, I no longer fall asleep at 7 and wake up at 7. I am lasting to 10 at night and now naturally wake up at 6. As a nice side effect, my stall is officially over and I lost 2 lbs!!! I think SAD can really stall weight loss during the winter!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 11:33
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

The trends I've heard of are that people are heavier the further north you go, and are skinnier the further south you go, and on coast lines. Probably all a bunch of hooey. There are fat, fit, and skinny people everywhere.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 12:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I know as winter approaches I get HUNGRIER, but once winter is here, I don't. We have a lot of sunny days here, even though it was -26 last night, but heck, when it's that cold I don't go out at night.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 13:18

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default 4 season vs 1 season

I have noticed something similar too. For 20 years of my adult life, when I lived under 4 season climate I was always around 145 during winter, and 140 during summer. (With the same woe and activity year long.) Since I have moved to South CA this fluctuation have disappeared.

No, I do not see this as a proof for anything, simply and intersting experience.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 09:41

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I was just thinking about that today! I have definately put on a few pounds this week for absolutely no reason! It's been in the negatives. Today w/ the wind chill it is -35. I heard that some swimmers tend to have an extra layer of fat b/c they are in the cold water so much.
I don't know, who knows, it could have started w/ someone making a suggestion and then a lot of people exaggerating the situation in their minds, but I am still looking for a reason why I have put on a few extra pounds. Arrrgg
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan: No particular plan
Stats: 160/155/140 Female 69
BF:
Progress:

I have also gained since the weather got so much colder. But in my case, it's because I'm eating so much more. I'm not low-carbing yet - I know that eating more shouldn't be a problem if I was doing something like Atkins & sticking to it. But man, this cold weather just goes through me to the bone, and my body screams for food, food, comfort food!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 10:36

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I seem to put on weight in the winter and lose in the summer too.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 10:42
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

It's called winter weight syndrome...a variant of SAD.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 11:14

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I too gain weight during the winter, but I think in part for me its due to staying inside more, watching TV and not exercising as much. During the summer, I'm out in the yard, going for walks, bike riding with the kids, and just in general feel like getting out more!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 22:52
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've always tended to gain or lose more slowly in the extremes of winter/summer than in spring/fall. It most likely has to do with decreased activity .. since both extreme cold or extreme heat/humidity will keep me indoors and feeling sluggish.

But .. to explain a sudden recent gain as opposed to a gradual winter-long thing .. it may be due to dry heated indoor air .. your body is holding onto water in your cells because the air is SO dry around you. Not sure if you're drinking lots of water, but that may be helpful. I know in the cold we want hot beverages, not cold water .. but coffee and strong tea might not be ideal. Maybe try herbal teas or green teas, but make them quite dilute so your getting extra water that way.

You might also consider getting a humidifier for your home, even a small portable one next to your desk makes a big difference.

Doreen