Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 08:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/196/150 Female 5'3"
BF:yuck
Progress: 23%
Question Some questions for you.....

I'm in the process of making a grocery list and I have some questions.

For salad dressings, there is a brand of salad dressings called Walden Farms. On the label it says No Carbs, Sugar Free, Calorie Free. Here are the ingredients for the Thousand Island: Purified triple filtered water, white vinegar, tomato paste, natural flavor, natural spices, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, pickle relish, egg yolk, titanium dioxide, lemon juice, xanthan gum, propylene glycol, alginate, sodium benzoate(to preserve freshness), sucrose. Do you think this is a good choice for low carb eating?

Also, I noticed in my local Walmart Supercenter, there was a whole section devoted to low carb products, Funny, this same section was full of baking stuff during the holidays!! Anyway, are there certain low carb products that you recommend or are most of them a lot of hype?

I stared down a bag of pork rinds but I just couldn't buy them. Maybe I'll try them one day.

Thanks for your time.

Tyra
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 08:35
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

I don't know how that can be low carb when it has sucrose in it. Maybe it is just a trace, but I still wouldn't trust it. Sucrose IS sugar. Sucralose is Splenda.

I would just get a regular mayo with no sugar at all. NOT Miracle Whip but real mayo.

I know it's hard. I was so brainwashed about low fat and low cal products for years it was really difficult for me to change over to high fat products. I had always used lite salad dressing instead of mayo thinking it was better for me, all the while gaining weight.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 09:38

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

I've seen other people use walden farms. i'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. Just count each serving as one carb because i'm sure it has some part of a carb in it. If it is i think .7 or below per serving the product can read 0 carbs. Sucrose is the last ingredient on the list which means it is the smallest portion of them. Even a whole teaspoon of sugar has only two carbs in it so i'm quite sure the tiny amount that is in the dressing wouldn't be a problem. for almost all people. Hope it tastes good to you.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 09:44

Plan: LC Lifestyles Plan
Stats: 333/240/190 Male 6'0"
BF:31.5%/26.95%/8%
Progress: 65%

Another option is to make your own dressing. I have a great recipe for Ranch dressing that is very low in carbs when you use the Carb Countdown milk that you can get at Wal Mart. If anyone would like the recipe I can post it - and it tastes great!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 10:22

Plan: Atkins/induction
Stats: 329/293.5/200 Female 5 feet 2.5inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Isn't Super Walmart the Bomb. I go 16 miles one way just to shop at the closest one to us because they make an exerted effort to supply us with Low Carb goodies. I noticed a new section of things there since the New Year has started. One was a spagetti sauce low in carbs but VERY high in price so I bought one with lower price but fewer carbs than most others. I have tried the Carbolite breakfast bars as well and while they are great tasting they could send me off on a bing of lowcarb eating. Pork rinds can be your friend and ~ 150 a bag what have you got to loose in at least trying them? They are great as Nachos with cheese melted on them a little sour cream and salsa Hey when you can't eat fried potatoes a little fried Pig is good now and then. And my all time favorite Walmart goodie is the flavored water American Clearly Peach Mango!!!!! Happy shopping
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 11:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 311/216/185 Male 5" 9'
BF:
Progress: 75%

I've been using the Walden Farms products since I first started. I just love them. All the dressings I've tried have tasted great as well. I mostly love the thousand island.
If a product say it has less than 1 carb: it can be between .5 and .9 carbs. If it has less than .5 they can label it as 0 carbs. I use to just count about 2 carbs for the amount I would use on my salad. But now a days I haven't counted carbs since about my 2nd month. I just know what to eat.