Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 13:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default A Charity Proposal

On Sunday I watched a Discovery Channel documentary, "Obesity Epidemic," with its constant theme of "doctors don't know what to do, what causes it, etc." which we all have heard in our own struggles with weight. Not one mention of low carb!

What really stuck with me, though, was the terrible struggles of the Pima Indians in Arizona. The national norm of obesity and diabetes is bad enough, but the Pima are even worse off.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/pima/index.htm

Children as young as three are being diagnosed with Type II diabetes, and their rate of complications is also worse than the norm.

Just a few days ago I finalized plans to launch a part time business venture, and my husband and I had already decided that a certain amount each week would go to charity.

So I am announcing my own charity project.

I want to get as many copies as possible of "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" to the Pima Indians. I have already sent an email regarding bulk buys of the book. I am still figuring out who to send it to, (maybe the library in Sacaton, AZ, or the Gila River Health Care Corporation) but just having it around means someone will pick it up and try it, perhaps.

I saw clips of people exercising to help control their diabetes, and then sitting down to a meal of corn, peas, rice, and macaroni. The medical community seems to worry more about about parceling out the dialysis machines, and doing the genetic research, than actually recommending what actually works. And we all know how the Diabetes Association feels about low carb.

I just feel strongly that I must do something for these people who seem trapped by their own bodies. And we all know what that feels like.

I'm going to do it even if I only send a couple of copies along. But I wanted to give everyone else an opportunity to offer advice, books, funds, or any comments.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 16:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I have a question. Are the Pima Indians living on a reservation or an area largely populated by Pimas?

Now the reason for my question. The government funds food to some native american indians and while they are given canned meats, veggies and fruits they are also given large quantities of grains. Actually you were given everything to feed your family except salt and sugar.

The books sound like a great idea, but I was in a largely populated native american area and there were a lot that didn't even speak english, very broken and relied on their children or grand children to interpret.

This may be more of a case of someone able to go in and teach them about eating healthier, excercising effectively for their health. Maybe even reading and explaining the book to them, how to put it into practice.

I don't want to discourage you, just this was my experience, something to think on.

Debi
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 18:39

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

The people west of Tucson call themselves the Tohono O'odham Nation, formerly known as the Papagos, and yes they have a large reservation. I don't know anything about food distribution programs, but I agree with Debi here, my experiences with these people make me think they would be more receptive to a teacher than having a book handed to them. The traditional foods (nowadays at least) are strongly grain-based and Mexican influenced though.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 22:15

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

As a teacher I had many contacts with CA, AZ Indians, Indian schools. I did not meet Pimas, but based on my expereinces I would recommend a somehow different approach.
The best way to help - to visit them, to talk with them and then to decide how to help. I do not think that any tv program, article etc. could tell you how THEY feel, what THEY think, what THEY need. If you do not have opportunity to go there try to contact with one of their leaders, teachers. There have been so many misguided educational and other program forced on Indians - they do not really trust in strangers, outsiders. If they see/hear something new they will ask their own teachers, leaders, doctors what to do.
I agree they need teachers who can interpret health issues. Teachers who know their language, thoughts, feelings.

Last edited by Galadriell : Mon, Jan-12-04 at 22:19.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 22:37
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

That's a wonderful idea... I feel so badly for them, really my heart aches... I wish I could help them. If you are going to start a pot to pay for books I will definitely contribute what I can.

This part made me so sad:
Quote:
Her third-grader, a pretty child with glossy black hair who likes to read when she isn't playing with her cat, already has diabetes. Her mother helps her monitor her blood sugar and is teaching her about choosing healthy foods, although she admits it's hard. When sweets are sometimes given out at school, her daughter gets a toy instead. "I tell her the cookies are gone, but you've still got the toy," her mother says.

Although researchers are still searching for the genes that cause diabetes in many Pima families, they say that cutting fat in the diet and exercising are the best ways yet known to prevent diabetes and modify its long-term effects.

"What I really want to do is change the way we eat here," the woman explains, referring to fried foods and the tacos the family loves. She knows that eating less sugar and fat is important for her family's health. "They say if you bake or broil, it's supposed to be better, and I've been trying to do that lately." Meanwhile, her mother's caring message seems to be having an effect on her daughter. Her favorite dessert is bananas.

This upsets and saddens me SO much. They are trying so hard, but they just don't have the information. That poor 8 year old girl has such a high predisposition to diabetes that she already has it, and they are giving her bananas! Bananas, one of the worst fruits you could possibly eat for diabetes... it has a moderate GI AND is absolutely loaded with sugar (20 grams).

#6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 23:10

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Native American Diets

Please, please, please send this article
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi..._americans.html

Notice the final heading, especially.

Black57

Last edited by black57 : Mon, Jan-12-04 at 23:15.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 20:07

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

There has been interest in looking at the native foods pre-European diet of the Pima Indians and its ability to control diabetes. You might be interested in this article about it: http://www.spmesquite.com/articles/ancientfoods.html

Of course, they point out how wonderfully low-fat high-fiber these foods are, but what really stands out to me is how these foods are very low on the glycemic index. They mention names of a number of researchers, and some of these people might even be helpful in finding the best way to introduce the concept of LC to the people on the res.

I personally am interested in trying some of that mesquite flour myself!