Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 12:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Oprah & Gastric Surgery

Hi all - just caught a bit of Oprah this morning. She had Randy Jackson (from American Idol) and a few other on who have had a gastric bypass. I have to tell you the whole show made me feel very uncomfortable. If you aren't successful at weight loss than your last alternative is surgery? Geez....there were no other discussions about other alternatives to this. Both people interviewed talked about their love of sweet foods, cakes, bread, pasta, etc.

While they did talk about the perils of this procedure it really was made out to be the answer for many people. The numbers aren't good though - 1/200 people don't make it out of the hospital. I missed the last 10 minutes of the show so maybe they covered that in a bit more detail.

Am I just being overly sensitive??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 13:14
living kaizen

Stats: 510/406/195 Male 6 feet baby...
BF:
Progress: 33%

I think the alternatives have been talked to death. The most important thing for people to realize about WLS is that it should be the LAST thing to do. I truly believe there are people for whom the only option left is physically reducing the size of the stomach and bypassing part of the digestive system. It's real nasty surgery, but if your options are certain death in a few years or 0.5% chance of dying on an operating table for a new chance, it becomes obvious.

But you should be naturally cautious of anyone touting it as "the" thing to do. It ain't for everyone and it seems like the easy way out (it isn't) when you're struggling.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 13:15

Stats: 240/175/120 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 54%

No i dont think so.

Here you cant get this operation no matter what.

It seems thats its an all to easy solution to a problem that needs to looked into.

And the dangers are very high indeed by the stats.

I agree with your view.

xxx
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 13:40

Stats: 284/270/130 Female 5 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

One of the things that steered me to a low carb diet was reading about the diet that they put you on once you have the surgery, which is a low carb diet anyway! You have an operation which forces you to eat low carb. I figured that I could "bypass" the surgery (forgive me) and just follow the diet...

~~Amaara
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 14:01

BF:

Heath - I would agree with that but Randy Jackson was a big guy but.....he mentioned that his mother-in-law, and a couple of his friends also had the surgery around the same time. Is it that easy to get in the States?

I just thought that it was interesting how I found it a bit upsetting to see these people choosing this option. Not that I disagree with people who choose I just didn't particularly enjoy the promotion of it as the great solver for all obesity, as there was no real discussion on why they arrived there. Maybe its my own views of weight that is at the heart of this one?

For the record - Randy J. was 329 and has lost 100 lbs. The other woman they showed was 300+ and had lost 62 lbs. in 3 months, but hadn't dealt with her emotional attachments to food and was miserable.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 15:35
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Like
Stats: 266.5/231/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:50.06%/42.96%/25%

My sister had WLS and almost lost her life (heart attack & liver problems) but now 25 years later she is hovering around 160 at 5'7". My cousin had WLS and busted her stitches inside - almost died - had to have the surgery undone and she balloned up to about 400lbs (she was about 300lbs when she had the surgery).
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 16:24
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I have a friend who had the surgery. She lost over 100 pounds, but she has been slowly gaining weight for the last year. She's up two clothing sizes now.

If you can lose the weight through low carbing, it is clearly much healthier. I look much better than my friend does and I feel much better. However, I can see it as an option if nothing else works. I am very grateful that low carbing works for me.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 16:42
living kaizen

Stats: 510/406/195 Male 6 feet baby...
BF:

Teresa -

The surgery is readily available in the US. If you can afford it, you can have it. It all depends on the doctor and the insurance company. If you have cash (around $14000 US) and meet the clinical criteria, you go to the head of the line in most places.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 18:16

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%

For my 2 cents a good, reputable program would not promote this. And then to talk about their love of cake and bread? No wonder I don't watch that type of show (that and I work during the day).

Cheers!
BrewWa
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 19:08

BF:

Thanks everyone for your comments. I've had a couple of hours to think about it a bit more and I still feel pretty uncomfortable with the whole show. I agree that I too am lucky that this WOE works for me, but completely respect anyone who chooses to have this done for whatever reason. I just felt that as Oprah said "its like getting your teeth cleaned - everyone is getting it done". I know from this forum that it can be a very dangerous solution.....
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 19:11
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmarshall
I just felt that as Oprah said "its like getting your teeth cleaned - everyone is getting it done". I know from this forum that it can be a very dangerous solution.....

Last time I got my teeth cleaned I did not need to sign a bunch of forms stating that I knew the risks involved and I did not need to get psychological counseling first to see if I was eligible for the procedure. I believe that gastric bypass surgery requires both these things. I also did not worry that I would die in the dentist's chair.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 19:35

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I found it interesting that Oprah and the Doctor greatly downplayed the discomfort experienced by the people who had this surgery. They kept bringing up how difficult the surgery was and how much pain they had experienced. The 17 year old even talked about the infection she had and the extreme pain she endured. The guests were all happy with the weight loss but I felt that Oprah and the Doctor kept shutting them up when they talked about everything else...... I was disappointed in Oprah. I do think there are occassions where this surgery might be neccessary to save one's life but I do believe those occassions are rare.

It is so true. In the U.S. if you have the money and fit the basic guidelines (which vary greatly from surgeon to surgeon!) you can sure as heck get it. I know a woman who had it recently who was only 60 pounds overweight. She is doing fine so far but has only lost 25 pounds in six months.

Orchids
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 20:36

Plan: LC Lifestyles Plan
Stats: 333/240/190 Male 6'0"
BF:31.5%/26.95%/8%
Progress: 65%

Hi all!!

Great discussion here - one of the things that stands out to me is that as you see so often, this type of surgery is only looking at the symptoms, and not the problem.

What good is it really going to do someone to have this surgery if they underlying cause for the weight is not dealt with? If someone loves the cakes, breads, pasta, etc. and then has the surgery to lose weight - then there is still a problem. Even if they don't gain the weight back, they are going to have the health challenges that come from eating too many carbs - blood sugar disorders, high cholestoral, etc.

I agree with the view points here - I don't think that this option will solve anything long term. In order for change to happen, we must change. I don't ask that it be easy - I just ask that it be possible.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 22:25

BF:

So in the majority of cases this is becoming a quick fix - similiar to elective plastic surgery? Very interesting indeed....but hey whatever floats your boat!

I wish I knew how to contact the woman they profiled - she was absolutely miserable and unprepared (in my opinion) to make a lifestyle change that was suddenly required. Funny too - one quote from her husband was that he was hoping she didn't change at all from the surgery. He did admit (in the after show) that it was more difficult than he ever imagined.

I think as with most of us struggling to get things under control is that we have to change ourselves, perception and attitude toward many things, food included!!

I just watched the "after the show" show and they talked about the pain, risks and complications more there - interesting that they didn't do that on the actual show broadcast on TV.

Thanks all for the discussion and insight on this....
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 06:52

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

The Boston Globe had a article recently on the WLS and noted that a large percentage of the fatalities and complications were caused by surgeons who had done less than 100 of these surgeries, but nevertheless it was the fastest growing speciality. I guess if you're going to do it, you need to ask the surgeon just how many people he's done before you :0 If it's less than a hundred, you might want to be sure your estate is in order before checking into the hospital. I think I'll stick to Atkins, save my money and, hopefully, save my life.