Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 10:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default I Need a Pep Talk on Fat

It seems that everywhere I turn on the forum I see people worrying about fat or saturated fat in the diet, and menus that look awfully low cal to me--some people eating less than 1000 calories a day--and yes, these people are losing weight.

I need some motivational stories of people continuing to eat the higher fat percentages who are continuing to lose after 6 months or more. I know you are out there!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 10:14

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

My percentages usually work out to 35/60/5 p/f/c, give or take 5% in either direction. I usually get around 1600-1800cal a day. I've lost 12lb. since Jan 1st, and I was stalled since May of last year.

Also, you might want to follow this link--
http://www.westonaprice.org/know_yo..._your_fats.html

It has LOTS of helpful information about fats and the reason for the current villianization of saturated fats. I like to throw this at all the naysayers.

Also, here's another link about arterial plaques and what they're made of--
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...3&dopt=Abstract

Last edited by OHGal1415 : Mon, Jan-12-04 at 10:29.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 10:26
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi,

I don't know where on the forum you see those people or which plan they follow but one thing is certain - they are not following the Atkins WOE.

I stopped using fitday in May 2003 as I wanted to get rid of an obsession and learn eating in real life, without counting.
Still - I don't limit myself as to protein or fat, I eat when I'm hungry, put butter, mayo or oil on everyhting and yes - I'm almost at my 'goal'.

Don't know what else to say - I never once had doubts because I've never felt better in my life.

Good luck!

Alina
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 10:39

BF:

Looks like a great link, OHgal, thanks.

Alina, I agree, people eating that way are not following Atkins, but some think they are (the lower calorie ones). Others have been on Atkins but are stalled and/or uncomfortable about fats. Others are definitely not on Atkins but following an exercise intense regime with more carbs and less fat.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 10:47
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

My impression from what I've seen on this forum in nearly one year is slightly different: most people who claim they are 'stalled' are not following Atkins because they don't exercise in any way, don't drink enough water, eat fake foods and unfortunately also - go on and off the plan more than once....

Fat is our friend!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 10:52

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I've been Atkinsing since MidJuly with:

70% fat
25% protein
5% carbs

(per Fitday)

I got into a drastic slowdown at 20 pounds or so, but since October I've lost 3-5 pounds (I can't always weigh myself, so there might be fluctuation.)
It took a mental adjustment to reach for the fat, but I feel and look great! My hair is shiny, my nails are strong, and my energy level is at its best.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 11:05
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think people should eat when hungry, and stop immediately when not... but unfortunately many of us have problems with this and tend to over eat if food is tasty. I am one of those people. Most days I just losely watch my calories (when I feel irrationally hungry), but sometimes I don't count at all and just listen to my body.

I am trying to train myself to eat only what I need and not clean my plate just because it's there. This is very hard for me since I have conditioned myself to eat whatever is in front of me.

As for fat, DEFINITELY eat a lot of fat, don't be scared of it . I lose fastest when my percentages of fat are high. Although, make sure you are getting lots of protein too .
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 11:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alina
My impression from what I've seen on this forum in nearly one year is slightly different: most people who claim they are 'stalled' are not following Atkins because they don't exercise in any way, don't drink enough water, eat fake foods and unfortunately also - go on and off the plan more than once....

Fat is our friend!

ABSOLUTELY, Alina!

It's the same everywhere, unfortunately. And it's always these same folks who then later badmouth the WOE, because "it just didn't work for them!".

I REALLY don't understand that. I mean, is this WOE REALLY that difficult? Ever been on an ultra low-fat plan? Weight Watchers? Slimfast? Cabbage soup? Grapefruit? I've been on them ALL. This is the first plan I've EVER been on that I find relatively EASY!!!

This is a veritable CAKEWALK, compared to those other plans!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 11:19

BF:

I don't think the plan is hard, but from what I can tell, there are people working at it and losing very, very slowly, so they lose faith not only in the weight loss aspect but the health improvement aspect as well. (The ones I am thinking of had initial good losses).

OHgal, weren't you frustrated during your stall?

Last edited by Quest : Mon, Jan-12-04 at 11:21.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 11:23

Plan: protein power-GO diet
Stats: 224/179/166 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Maybe it's just me, but I stall when I DON"T get enough fat in my diet. I am one of those rare freaks whose cholesterol does seem to go up when I eat a preponderance of red meat and dairy, so I eat a lot of fish and a lot of nuts, and on days where I've cheated I eat a cicouple of handful of macadamias and the next day the scale says I'm the same weight. So don't reduce fat. I f you feel "guilty" or something eat more almonds and macadamias and hazelnuts.
I still eat a lot, and exercise does help a lot, but to me, right now, cutting out fat would be irritability and weight gain.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 11:32

BF:

Diane,

Admittedly, I had gotten fairly sloppy. I was in a new size, was happy where I was at, ate WAY too much processed food (all LC, of course!) and I stayed the same weight.

I even tried a different eating plan in October for 12 weeks (Body for Life), and the weight STILL didn't budge, no matter HOW hard I worked it (now, THAT was frustrating!).

But honestly, I can't see myself eating any other way, now. This is my lifestyle, and I don't WANT to eat any other way. High-carb meals not only pack on the pounds, they literally make me FEEL BAD, physically and mentally. They trigger severe depressive episodes for me. So my impetus for staying "on the wagon" may be different than it is for others, but I can only relate from my own experience.

Once I CUT the processed foods from my diet at the beginning of this year, the weight is starting to SLIDE off again. Perhaps my super-long stall was a gift in disguise, in hindsight. I now know perfectly well how to maintain!

Last edited by OHGal1415 : Mon, Jan-12-04 at 11:34.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 22:14

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have always loved the taste of fats especially butter and fatty meats. For years I had to deprive myself of these wondrous foods because they would cause my demise one day, so I believed. When I read about the Atkins diet I thought "Wow, all the foods that I love is on here." I have no problem with eating butter or olive oil or dark meat. i no longer trim my meat. Maybe that is the reason that I love those things so much. My cholesterol and triglycerides are right on the money...as is everything else.

After doing this WOE for over a year, I know that carb-abuse was keeping me hungry, shaky, plump and ignorant to the truth. Now, I allow my body to be involved in its own preservation. I eat the fats and oils that I love. I have greatly lowered the carbs that have etched their way into my life. You see, I became a carb lover over time. The older I got the easler it was for me to eat doughnuts, cake, ice cream, rice and bread. Face it, many of us once ate many of these items daily!

Give me a greasy burger and some mustard greens anytime and keep the rice pilaf.

Black