Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 19:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%
Question long term effects

I have a question...I was sitting at the lunch table at work the other day answering questions about Atkins like I do whenever a new person eats at our table, and was told that even though I have lost a lot of weight, and am in very good health that this woe will cost me in the long run...I said no way, I am more healthy than ever in my whole life!! The other person told me to come see him in 30 years and talk to him how this diet damaged my liver when I got old....has anyone else heard that it does damage when you are older?? He also told me that it increases your chance of stroke when you are older??? Is he just a doubting thomas?? or are we screwed??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 19:47
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Well the diet was introduced in 1972. There are people who have followed it for that entire time or close. So far no one is dead yet that they have reported.

So how do fresh veggies, fruits, nuts, and fresh meats cause stroke? He should look more at the high sodium and transfats in junk food for health risks, as well as all the chemicals and preservatives added some of wich have been shown to be carcinigic.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 20:12

Stats: 190/147/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Ignore him. Plain & simple.

If eating whole, unprocessed, chemical, additive free, trans fat free food is bad for you then man kind would not be here. We would have gone the way of the dinosaurs.

Obesity, heart desease, high blood pressure, diabetes is running rampant in society. It's from LC eating? NOT! What have we been eating? LF cookies, crackers, white bread, potatoes, avoiding red meat & butter. Bah!

Get your blood work done at the doctor and get your own piece of mind.

I've been really lucky. Everyone around me has been really supportive.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 21:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

I once knew a woman who courageously beat cancer. She said she owed much of it to her diet. And she hated Atkins with a passion and told me we were all killing ourselves. I asked her about her diet - guess what it was?

All natural, raw foods (no meat, sadly). Tofu, nuts, veg, little if any fruits...

I didn't have the heart to tell her she was eating low-carb.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 14:22

Stats: 166/160/143 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 26%

People who are uninformed always make this assuption.

Atkins is a high FAT diet, not a high PROTEIN diet.

It is high PROTEIN diets that can cause severe liver damage.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 16:21

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Being fat killed my grandmother

Not eating Atkins (which she never tried to do.)

Scary to look at her health problems, all exacerbated, if not directly due to, being 220+ on a 5' frame.

Kinda don't care if I die of liver damage over the long term, because if I stay fat, I don't have to worry about living that long. Doesn't matter if other diets work for other people, they don't work for me.

I usually tell someone like that I couldn't be married to her husband or wear her color clothing so why should she expect me to eat exactly the same way she does?

30 years from now they'll find something completely new that is supposed to kill us all, and some of will will live anyway.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 16:29

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Why is it OK for somebody to eat a steak, baked potato, salad with regular dressing and a vegetable with butter, but it's not OK to eat the steak, salad and vegetable. Just because I choose not to eat the baked potatoe I'm killing myself. EEEEEEKKKKKKKK!

Wee
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 16:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/200/140 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi
There are risks with the Atkins and any other low carb diets. Some researchers in Melbourne Uni (Australia) has found that the diet has been responsible for a number of deaths over the years. However it is only a small percentage of all who use it and I believe there were other medical reasons that led to it as well.

However they didnt say that for others that a high carb diet is a killer. I am on the low carbs because I have syndrome X. This is a precursor for diabetes and I wasnt far off it. For me the carbs are a killer and will lead to stroke and heart disease.

Aktins is a good diet to assist in losing weight and the one great plus it does have is train us to eat healthy food.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 22:51

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Give your friends this research article and see what they have to say.

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi..._americans.html